Best skaters who never went to the Olympics | Golden Skate

Best skaters who never went to the Olympics

arewhyaen

On the Ice
As many of us fans are quite aware, the Olympic dream for many skaters may never be realized. Japanese and Russian nationals just wrapped up, and US nationals are just around the corner. So I thought I'd ask, who are the best skaters who never went to the olympics? You should include skaters who went as alternates but never competed.

Alissa Czisny - She is, in my opinion, still the best spinner I have ever watched. Centered, fast, and elegantly positioned. Indeed, Alissa always had problems with consistency, but when she was on, she was on. It's crazy to think a former national champion and grand prix final champion never got her Olympic moment. Her Sabrina, Winter to Spring, and Dr. Zhivago programs are some of my favorites of all time.

Yukari Nakano - Sure, her leg wrap always annoyed the hell out of me, but there was no denying that Yukari had powerful jumps and a large presence on the ice. I loved watching her programs. And don't forget her triple axel. Unfortunately, in 2006, despite a strong grand prix showing, Yukari finished 5th at Nationals, and was not sent to the olympics. And in 2010, she was Nagasu'd before even Nagasu was Nagasu'd - finishing 3rd at Nationals but missing out on the Olympics team in favor of Miki Ando who finished 4th at Nationals.

Keauna McLaughlin and Rockne Brubaker - I can honestly say, my excitement for a US pairs team was never quite as high as it was for McLaughlin and Brubaker when they first splashed onto the scene. After sweeping every junior title in 06-07, they seemed poised to finally make US pairs internationally competitive. Breathtaking lifts and a big throw triple twist were really just first-rate. Unfortunately, in 2010, they imploded at Nationals and finished 5th, and Keauna retired shortly after. If Keauna decided to stick with it, I believe they could have been a very competitive team. ADDITIONALLY, had USFSA used its current criteria, they would have absolutely made the Olympic team in 2010. But alas, that was not the way of the skating gods.

This last one may be a bit premature, but considering the depth of the Russian field and her age, I'm also including:

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva - Any other country, any other olympic cycle, Tuktamysheva would be going to the olympics this year. Its crazy to think that a skater who was undefeated a few seasons ago, couldn't even make it out of her country's nationals and go back to worlds. Russia truly has an embarrassment of riches. I hope she'll stick it out and give us a few more seasons. Heck, I hope she can stick it out and maybe even make the olympics in 2022.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
If one particular skater will get to this thread (and it seems like he will thanks to his dumb fedeartion), I will never handle it. :cry:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
If one particular skater will get to this thread (and it seems like he will thanks to his dumb fedeartion), I will never handle it. :cry:

You mean Sergei Voronov? Yeah, he should've at least been allowed to compete at Euros over Aliev. I don't even claim for his berth to Olympics at this point. The body of work in their criteria conveniently has applied to skaters that the Russia fed favors while Voronov can't have the same treatment at all. He should've gone to Vancouver. Though given his luck and stride this season except the National result, I can't loose my hope that it's not done yet.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Liza could be the first World champion who's never been to Olympics if she retires now. However, she is still very young, so I wouldn't assert that she ever won't go to Olympics during her entire career yet. Given Kostner's survival in the current field, Liza who has gorgeous jumps would be likely to retain her jump techniques in later years like Carolina. Even though there will come up with a lot of juniors in Russia, they also have to survive from their puberty.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To give this thread some historical perspective, I went through the record books to see if any prominent skaters had been unable to compete at the Olympic Games because of the cancellation of the Games during the two World Wars.

I came across Austrian Fritz Kachler, three time World Champion (1912, 1913, 1923) and twice European Champion (1914, 1924), who Wikipedia tells us did not believe sport and nationalism should mix.

For this reason, he declined to compete in any pre-WWI or post-WWI Olympic Games as a competitor. He did serve as a WC judge three different times.

I really like learning about little known, but significant, figures in the history of the sport.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Liza could be the first World champion who's never been to Olympics if she retires now. However, she is still very young, so I wouldn't assert that she ever won't go to Olympics during her entire career yet. Given Kostner's survival in the current field, Liza who has gorgeous jumps would be likely to retain her jump techniques in later years like Carolina. Even though there will come up with a lot of juniors in Russia, they also have to survive their puberty.

According to her fan thread, Liza is staying positive and will continue.

kenboy123

On the Ice
According to her fan thread, Liza is staying positive and will continue.

Which is exactly the problem. of course her fans are going to say she is staying positive and will continue...realistically, her time has passed and even at her best, the rest of the Russian field has moved on...i'll be very surprised if she can do make an international team ever again knowing the depth of the Russian women now and how many are coming up...sadly for her, i am quite confident she was never make the Olympic team...

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Which is exactly the problem. of course her fans are going to say she is staying positive and will continue...realistically, her time has passed and even at her best, the rest of the Russian field has moved on...i'll be very surprised if she can do make an international team ever again knowing the depth of the Russian women now and how many are coming up...sadly for her, i am quite confident she was never make the Olympic team...

Urgh, I was too lazy to write 'someone shared a interview from her in her fan thread where she says she will continue.' And yes, I like better when skaters know when to retire, meaning they retire 'on the top' but it's her bussiness and if she wants to continue, she should. And also, never say never.

And the proof is here: http://fs-gossips.com/elizaveta-tuk...inue-to-skate-even-if-i-dont-get-to-olympics/

To give this thread some historical perspective, I went through the record books to see if any prominent skaters had been unable to compete at the Olympic Games because of the cancellation of the Games during the two World Wars

I came across Austrian Fritz Kachler, three time World Champion (1912, 1913, 1923) and twice European Champion (1914, 1924), who Wikipedia tells us did not believe sport and nationalism should mix.

For this reason, he declined to compete in any pre-WWI or post-WWI Olympic Games as a competitor. He did serve as a WC judge three different times.

How interesting. Thank you.

Gilbert Fuchs won the first ISU world championship in 1896 and won again ten years later, in 1906 (!) He had an easy time of it in 1906 because his rival, Ulrich Salchow, refused to skate in Munich, Fuchs' home town, expecting that the judging would not be fair. (Odd factoid -- At the 1901 world championships Salchow and Fuchs were the only two entries.)

Fuchs' 1906 victory interrupted what otherwise would have been 11 straight world championships for Salchow. Instead Salchow won 5 in a row before 1906 and another 5 in a row after 1906.

Two years later, Fuchs returned the favor by refusing to compete at the1908 Olympics in London, protesting that the judges were stacked against him. (The next olympics was 1920, after both Fuchs and Salchow had retired, Salchow to become president of the ISU and Fuchs to a career in forestry and entomology. :) )

Last edited:

Procrastinator

On the Ice
I third Bradley. Strange that we've seen Abbott fudge up at the Olympics twice and Bradley never went.

I never got the buzz about Yukari. I also don't consider her to be on the list of those who've landed a triple axel because she always cheated them, and severely so, both pre-flight and on landing

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I third Bradley. Strange that we've seen Abbott fudge up at the Olympics twice and Bradley never went.

I never got the buzz about Yukari. I also don't consider her to be on the list of those who've landed a triple axel because she always cheated them, and severely so, both pre-flight and on landing

FWIW Abbott was very ill at the 2010 games and then sadly had that freak accident in 2014 but came back strong.

ETA: The 2010 team should’ve been Abbott, Lysacek, Bradley (instead of Weir).

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How interesting. Thank you.

Gilbert Fuchs won the first ISU world championship in 1896 and won again ten years later, in 1906 (!) He had an easy time of it in 1906 because his rival, Ulrich Salchow, refused to skate in Munich, Fuchs' home town, expecting that the judging would not be fair. (Odd factoid -- At the 1901 world championships Salchow and Fuchs were the only two entries.)

Fuchs' 1906 victory interrupted what otherwise would have been 11 straight world championships for Salchow. Instead Salchow won 5 in a row before 1906 and another 5 in a row after 1906.

Two years later, Fuchs returned the favor by refusing to compete at the1908 Olympics in London, protesting that the judges were stacked against him. (The next olympics was 1920, after both Fuchs and Salchow had retired, Salchow to become president of the ISU and Fuchs to a career in forestry and entomology. :) )

This is very interesting stuff! I went to YouTube to see if there were any clips of Kachler. Sadly, none.

And now you've got me drifting off-topic...

My very favorite factoid from those early years is that 1908 also saw the very first Russian figure skating champion, Nikolai Panin, representing the tsarist Russian Empire, who won an event called the Special Figures. It was the only time the event was contested. As near as I can tell, Special Figures was a contest of the most elaborate original figures, those not illustrated in the rulebook.

Panin had some wild ones. Link to some of his special figures: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Special_figures_by_Panin.png

Weathergal

Medalist
Alissa Czisny and Ryan Bradley are excellent choices.

Other skaters who come to mind are Angela Nikodinov, Mark Mitchell, Agnes Zawadzki, Renee Roca / Gorsha Sur, and Konstantin Menshov,

Makkachin

On the Ice
Country
United-States
You mean Sergei Voronov? Yeah, he should've at least been allowed to compete at Euros over Aliev. I don't even claim for his berth to Olympics at this point. The body of work in their criteria conveniently has applied to skaters that the Russia fed favors while Voronov can't have the same treatment at all. He should've gone to Vancouver. Though given his luck and stride this season except the National result, I can't loose my hope that it's not done yet.

I have to give kudos to Voronov. He's had a long career and he hasn't declined; he's actually been gaining momentum, which should be commended, especially in this day and age. The chips fall where they may in determining the Olympic team but I feel for the guy.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Robert Wagenhoffer. A great talent, gone too soon:cry: