British and Irish Figure skating 2022-2023 | Page 21 | Golden Skate

British and Irish Figure skating 2022-2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I'm curious where you heard this from? I haven't seen anyone else talking about it. But then I avoid TSL like the plague, I find them really catty.
Yes it was from TSL.

From what I can see, around 40 of the total 60 dance spots on the GP are already determined by the official rules (top 10 Worlds, top 24 WS/top 24 Season's best, possibly returning split team with Smart/Dieck), and maybe 10-15 of those remaining spots will go to host spots or as second spots to highly ranked teams who weren't at Sr Worlds (Hawayek/Baker, Lajoie/Lagha) and Jr Worlds medalists (at least Mrazkova/Mrazek), but the rest of the spots could really go to anyone. The Brits have the advantage (like Mrazkova/Mrazek and Lim/Quan) that they will never be in a situation where they can't be picked for any GP because of country limits and that they are fairly popular among fans, so feds are more likely to invite them.

So a small-ish, but realistic chance they'll get at least one senior GP assignment, but even if they don't end up getting one, they'll definitely be doing Challengers, Euros and Worlds, so by next season they're likely to be in the top 24 in World Standing (Especially with the points from the 2020-21 season dropping off the list completely) and will be guaranteed at least one GP assignment.
It’ll be a real shame if they don’t get at least one spot at the senior Grand Prix but i was also looking at the rankings and unfortunately even if you take out the Russians the the skaters who have split they don’t quite make it on their own merit.

I agree with you it’s not unlikely they’ll get at least one spot if we keep our fingers crossed.

I’d really like to know if there is a chance of a second Sheffield GP. I really hope so! However on the other hand I have missed the Chinese GP.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Disclaimer: This post is purely my thoughts. It has nothing to do with the skater involved.

Just wanted to let anybody interested know that Ice Dancer Milla O'Brien is now available and looking for a new partner.

Her previous partnership with Laurin Wiederkehr has split because Milla and her family have recently relocated to America.

For more information about the split, see this post by @GoneWithTheWind.

Although born and raised in Switzerland, Milla is half Irish. I don't know if she has ever thought about representing Ireland, but I for one would love to see it happen.

No harm to the Hegartys, who are doing the best they can. And doing very well considering how new they are to Ice Dance and how little ice time they get. But, being realistic, I don't think they can reach the minimums to appear at the Majors. Especially when they keep going up each season.

But, Milla has already proved that she is capable of getting the minimums (she and Laurin got the minimums for Junior Worlds in their first international competition at Junior level). So, I have no doubt that she could do it again when she gets a new partner.

For a taste of how good Milla and Laurin were, here are their programmes from their second Junior GP appearance:

Milla O'Brien / Laurin Wiederkehr - 2022 ISU Junior Grand Prix Baltic Cup SP
Milla O'Brien / Laurin Wiederkehr - 2022 ISU Junior Grand Prix Baltic Cup FS

I hope she gets a partner soon. She's too good to be left on the shelf.

And if she does and they opt to represent Ireland, all the better! :biggrin: ☘️

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Who she’s able to get as a partner will be influenced by what rink she ends up skating at. How exciting, I would love to see an Irish Ice Dance couple at Worlds!

Weetos

Final Flight
If there is an Irish-aligned guy out there looking for a partner that would be amazing! I was sorry to see they split.

Re. Phebe and James (do they have a team name yet? Can I nominate Hekker? :laugh:) someone pointed out the fourth place finishers from 2022 jr worlds got 2 assignments, so I live in hope. Might depend on any retirements/misses I suppose.

Reactions: DSQ

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
If there is an Irish-aligned guy out there looking for a partner that would be amazing! I was sorry to see they split.

Re. Phebe and James (do they have a team name yet? Can I nominate Hekker? :laugh:) someone pointed out the fourth place finishers from 2022 jr worlds got 2 assignments, so I live in hope. Might depend on any retirements/misses I suppose.
Unfortunately, Phebe and James are unlucky with likely all three teams ahead of them moving up to Seniors too (except for Mrazkova/Mrazek, all of them have to). This was not the case for Wolfkostin/Chen, as Bashynska/Beaumont remained in Juniors and D'Alessandro/Waddell split.

Still, depending on retirements, and injuries, they do have a realistic chance at getting at least one spot.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

There was actually somebody that fits that description who popped into my mind as soon as I heard that Milla and Laurin had split. That's why I posted about her in here, because I know he reads this thread and I wanted to increase the chances of him finding out that she could be an option.

Whether the logistics would work is another matter, though.

Re. Phebe and James (do they have a team name yet? Can I nominate Hekker? :laugh:)

I just put "Hekker" into Google Translate, and found out that it is Norwegian for "hedges".

Appropriate, as every time I see Phebe's surname, I think of the mail order plant company that my Dad bought the hedge at the front of our house (and plenty of other plants around the garden!) from. Admittedly, it was called "Bakker" rather than "Bekker". But, it's close enough for me to make a connection.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Weetos

Final Flight
Just saw Lilah and Lewis are going to be in FOI! How great for them!!

Also just going through the line up I wish I could go to Japan TT__TT

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
Fantasy on ice!
Thank you. I got as far as 'fans on ice' and that didn't make sense either. I don't really follow shows, even when real live skating rather than TV ones, because I don't enjoy all the hype (same with Dancing on Ice).

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Just saw Lilah and Lewis are going to be in FOI! How great for them!!

Also just going through the line up I wish I could go to Japan TT__TT
Fantasy on Ice is one of, if not the biggest and best-funded of the Japanese shows with high-profile musical guests, new (if sometimes rather endearingly weird) costumes and of course the biggest sell-out crowds short of Yuzu's own shows. They should have a wonderful time and I'm thrilled they will be there.

Last edited:

Weetos

Final Flight
My tired brain needs a translation. It is saying FOI = freedom of information act, and I know that isn't correct! :ROFLMAO:
Sorry 🤣

I can't remember if they have done any of the major ice shows previously, I feel like surely they have but I don't know which? But Fantasy on Ice definitely feels like the Big One so I'm thrilled they've been invited. And you can usually see a full broadcast on youtube or somewhere! I hope they have a brilliant time.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Sorry 🤣

I can't remember if they have done any of the major ice shows previously, I feel like surely they have but I don't know which? But Fantasy on Ice definitely feels like the Big One so I'm thrilled they've been invited. And you can usually see a full broadcast on youtube or somewhere! I hope they have a brilliant time.
If not on youtube, certainly there should be streams (as there were with SOI) andprobably downloadable copies :)

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Sorry 🤣

I’m not sure they have you know. I know they skated in Marjory Lajoie show in Montréal for charity.

I’m so happy for them! They deserve to earn as much money as they can and they have a fair amount of Japanese fans who have been advocating for them I think.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just a wee update about Milla O'Brien. As of yesterday, she is now on Ice Partner Search:

https://icepartnersearch.com/showbio.php?i=7381

And reading her profile answers a number of the questions that were asked here.

Who she’s able to get as a partner will be influenced by what rink she ends up skating at.

She is being coached by four-time Azerbaijan Champions Kristin FRASER / Igor LUKANIN (ISU Bio) at Glen Ridge, New Jersey.

How exciting, I would love to see an Irish Ice Dance couple at Worlds!

Milla mentions in her write-up that she has Swiss, Irish and Finnish passports. But, in the summary for the table, it is "Ireland" that she has put down as her citizenship. ☘️

So, it looks like her preference is to represent Ireland!!! :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points: :hb:

Of course, my dream would be that she partners up with the other Ice Dancer on Ice Partner Search that lists "Ireland" as his citizenship. Apart from anything else, that would make things a lot easier if they have Olympic ambitions. Unfortunately, as I said previously, the logistics wouldn't work at the moment, as she is in America and he is going into his final year of Uni in England.

But, imagine if they both found partners. Ireland could go from having never had any representation in Ice Dance only a couple of years ago, to having three partnerships! 😲

Oh, this is getting exciting!!!

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Cross posting here too

And I'll cross post my reply here too! :biggrin:

The entry list for the Irish figure skating championships for 2023 (17 June, held in Scotland) has been published and Carolane Soucisse/Shane Firus (senior ice dance) are listed? They were on the Canadian national team last I knew…

https://isai.ie/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/2023-Irish-Figure-Skating-Championships-Entries.pdf

:jaw: :jaw: :jaw:

Now that is a surprise, on 2 counts.

Firstly, that Carolane and Shane are switching to Ireland. Of course, I suspected that Liam and Shane had Irish ancestry because of their first names. But I really didn't see that one coming!

And secondly, that Nationals are being held in Scotland in June as part of the Dundee Open. They are normally held in London in February / March as part of Skate Southern.

So, all of a sudden, Ireland has a top level Ice Dance partnership.

This might cause problems for Milla O'Brien's hopes to represent Ireland...

CaroLiza_fan

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
And I'll cross post my reply here too! :biggrin:

:jaw: :jaw: :jaw:

Now that is a surprise, on 2 counts.

Firstly, that Carolane and Shane are switching to Ireland. Of course, I suspected that Liam and Shane had Irish ancestry because of their first names. But I really didn't see that one coming!

And secondly, that Nationals are being held in Scotland in June as part of the Dundee Open. They are normally held in London in February / March as part of Skate Southern.

So, all of a sudden, Ireland has a top level Ice Dance partnership.

CaroLiza_fan
I’d love to know how local fans feel about this. Especially since I just can’t see how Carolane Soucisse can get a passport in time for the Olympics.

Otherwise I’m happy for them and hope their success can add the pressure to finally get a rink down south!

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

You know, having thought about it over the past 24 hours, I've come to realise that rather than being a problem, the arrival of Carolane and Shane may be just the thing that Milla O'Brien and her new partner need.

As I said over in the other thread, Carolane and Shane's last international competition was the Espoo GP, which means that they will be good to go at the end of November. Minimums permitting, of course. I'm pretty confident that they are good enough to be capable of earning Ireland a second slot for the following season. By which stage Milla will have finished her own embargo (her last international competition was Junior Worlds, so she has longer to wait).

So, I really hope that Milla can find a new partner quickly, so that they can spend the next 12 months gelling and training, and then be able to take advantage of the fantastic opportunity that the arrival of a top partnership like Soucisse / Firus brings.

I’d love to know how local fans feel about this.

I don't know about the fans that are actually Down South feel about it, but me Up North is very excited about it!

Especially since I just can’t see how Carolane Soucisse can get a passport in time for the Olympics.

That's a point. But, maybe they are not that bothered about the Olympics, and just want to be able to compete at Europeans and Worlds.

Also, remember that when it comes to the Olympics, it is the country that qualifies for the slot, and not the individual skater / partnership. Although the skater / partnership that earns the slot usually does get to use it, that is not set in stone. Carolane and Shane could qualify Ireland for a slot, and then let somebody else use it.

Milla O'Brien already has an Irish passport, so if she can manage to find a partner who either already has one or is eligible for it through his family, then they could go instead of Soucisse / Firus.

I realise the Hegartys also have Irish passports. But, it would be difficult for them to get the minimums.

Otherwise I’m happy for them and hope their success can add the pressure to finally get a rink down south!

Nah, the arrival of a top level partnership won't make any difference. They'll still do most of their training in Canada. And when they are in Europe, they'll probably train at one of the rinks in England or Scotland that other Irish team members train at.

Look at Marilena Kitromilis. Although she is representing her ancestral homeland of Cyprus, she still does a lot of her training at home in Boston. There isn't a proper sized rink on Cyprus (just look at the videos I posted in the Nationals thread over the past couple of days to see what I mean!), so when she is over this side of the Atlantic, she trains in Dubai where her younger team-mate Stefania Yakovleva is now based.

The Fed can't afford to build a rink themselves, and nobody else is interested in doing it. So, unless somebody is willing to re-open the Ice Dome in Dundalk, the situation will stay the same. The arrival of a top level Ice Dance partnership won't make any difference (unless they want to pay for a rink! :laugh: )

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.