Campbell spoiler (MM don't read!) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Campbell spoiler (MM don't read!)

Linny

Final Flight
Presentation

There are marks in the CoPs that are equivalent to the presentation marks in the 6.0 system. A skater can still win on subjective scores. All skaters have to do BOTH technical and artistic. Would you have it any other way?
Linny

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I like Michelle, but more often than not, she's given credit for her reputation as 5-time world champ and for being a skating icon rather than on the actual merit of her skating.

She has "merit" in her skating and a "reputation" because she IS a 5-time world champ, 8 times National Champ, and a skating icon.........it was her merit that got her these championships in the first place, not the other way around.....

.......By the way, glad to see you posting here a GS, busybeemom.....42

Lucy25

Final Flight
I am thrilled at the details so far regarding Michelle's progam. It sounds like she has a new spiral sequence and spin combination. An article right before the competition quoted Michelle saying her jumps are more secure now than at last Worlds, and from the reports I have read, this is indeed true. The fact that her program is already "better" than her last couple have me excited to see how this work in progress will develop over the next few months!

Michelle's first jump combination, in the middle of the ice, was a 3t/2l. Could she be practicing a 3t/3l?? Last year at this event she substituted the 3l for a 3t because she was not secure on her loop yet, but his year it was put in combination. The fact that it was a double loop, not a toe, has me wondering!

Sounds like Sasha has lots of work to do, and that all her jumps were within the first two minutes. Kimmie had a great senior preview.

I can't wait to see this next weekend!

TNT2012

Rinkside
I like Michelle, but...
Why is it that most Michelle Kwan skeptics often insert that phrase into their posts? Do they think that it somehow legitimizes their subsequent reasonings as to the why and wherefore Michelle is basically overrated and without any technical merits? A person who LIKES Michelle wouldn't normally state their belief that she did not "rightfully" earn her place on top of the podium BEFORE they even had an opportunity to watch the competition. Please if you insist on knocking Michelle from her pedestal, then let's not kid ourselves and drop the "I like Michelle" part.
This in reference to you know who......

Last edited:

gezando

Final Flight
Miriam according to same poster at fsu...

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?threadid=17165&perpage=15&pagenumber=17 (scroll down to the post by Impromptu)

...Shizuka completed 4 triples even though two of those are 3s/3t, the second lutz was a turn out, and she popped her triple flip. The traditional 6.0 rewards completed jumps, and MK completed 6. Maybe Arakawa would be placed ahead of MK under CoP, I don't know. Is Arakawa that much better as a spinner? IMO their spins and spirals cancels each other out,

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/MNAK102100123_1024x768.jpg

http://www.startribune.com/images/hl/5011983_95338.html

so are their amazing basic skills. I don't think it has anything to do with this event being a cheesefest. BTW, Irina has beaten MK plenty of times in cheesefest when she out jumped MK. So are you happier now?

Miriam Boo said:
What?...no 3/3's for the American ladies?...big surprise...ho hum. Come on Cheesefest cheeseheads...3/3's will win you a world championship and Olympic gold but not a measley Cheesefest

According to some reports Kimmie landed a 3z/3t, and Amber landed 3t/3t (under rotated), and Amber tried 3l/3l and turned out

Poor Jenny.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Big wow for Kimmy, placing above such accomplished skaters.

For those who saw the event live. What was MK doing with that cape. She knows I hate props in competition. :laugh:

Indeed, we may be experiencing the next teenage wunderkind at the Olys: Kimmie Meisner! :love:

Joe

(I am typing this with my eyes closed. Don't tell me who won, OK?)

Reminder. Message boards (including GS) are protected by copyright agreements. Please don't quote lengthy posts verbatim from other boards, especially first person live accounts of competitions. Instead, give a brief summary or a couple of selected lines, and a link.

Thanks, all.:)

Mathman

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
For those who saw the event live. What was MK doing with that cape. She knows I hate props in competition. :laugh:

Joe

Joe she brought the cape in case another streaker showed up so she could cover him up. Our girl thinks of everything! ;)

Bynx

On the Ice
Mathman said:

Reminder. Message boards (including GS) are protected by copyright agreements. Please don't quote lengthy posts verbatim from other boards, especially first person live accounts of competitions. Instead, give a brief summary or a couple of selected lines, and a link.

Mathman

Sorry Mathman,
I wasn't thinking. :eek:

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Poor Michelle...always being given titles because the crowd bullies the judges into giving her the marks.... :D . Sorry, that argument is total crap. The crowd went wild for her in two Cheesefests last year, and she finished second and third respectively. When other skaters bring it...they can win (and it seems they do...even in America). Some of these skaters that have bested Michelle in North American Cheesefests include: Irina Slutskaya, Josee Chouinard, Sasha Cohen and Shizuka Arakawa. Shizuka is wonderful, but all reports (and even her own statements) indicate that she was not in the superlative form that earned her the World title in Dortmund. Michelle reportedly skated extremely well (and surprisingly much better than she has in past season openers). IMHO, there is really nothing remotely contraversial about this just yet (will reserve final judgement until I've seen the competition).

Anyway, I'm thrilled Michelle was able to come out so strongly early in the season. She hasn't done that in the past several years and I think that is a very positive sign. Also, way to go Kimmie!

lavender

Record Breaker
It wasn't really close between Michelle and Arakawa. Arakawa only had 1 place ordinal. Ando had the other 1st place.

floskate

On the Ice
I'm so excited to see this program. As with many kwan fans who I'm sure will agree with me, it's not really the winning thgat counts anymore, although that's a huge bonus, but the way she skates. And this sounds like another for the compilation tape!!!

I'm just so pleased she's added new elements and all the positive reports about her jumps ie height distance etc are very encouraging.

I have to say that the kwanbashing without even seeing the program is beyond ridiculous IMO. Why can't we all be more openminded in our opinions? When you see it and then hate it - fine. But how can you bash a program you've never seen? :rolleye:

MinnMan

Rinkside
Ptichka said:
Big wow for Kimmy, placing above such accomplished skaters.

I was there, in row 7. Kimmie did a great job. She may not have had as much speed as the older skaters, but she did great for 14. She will be 15 on Monday, However, After the the first 4 skaters, she was on top. I enjoy watching her on the ice.

I thought the top men did a good job too. Maybe some of the people who like to cut them down should get on the Ice so we could see how they do, Like Kurt Browning's dad told him, the Ice freezes with the slippery side up.

:laugh:

Chrystia Mee

Rinkside
Mathman said:

Mathman

Does this count if you're referring to one of your own posts? I've cross posted my mreport at Sashafans and MKF already. I'll link to my repott at MKF though here just in case. Chrystia's Report for Campbells's on MKF

shine

Record Breaker
First thing first: BIG congrats to Kimberly Meissner for beating the reigning European Champion! :love: I'm totally thrilled for her! Althought I do think that Lori Nicol may not the best choreographer at this point of presentation development for Kim, I still am looking forward to watching "Daphnis et Chloe". IMO she has every great thing that makes up a solid foundation for future presentation and artistic development.
Also Hooray! for Emanuel Sandhu for choosing a Romantic piano concerto for his LP this season. I CANNOT wait to see this new program. I've missed the classical programs from him. To me he always seemed truer to himself when he skated to classical music (from 1998-2000), regardless of how well the choreography was. And when was the last time that we saw a 7 triple performance as well as TWO new programs from him in October?
And finally, good for Michelle Kwan who, from the sound of the reports, is finally having an actual "program" with real choreographical content for the first time in years. I cannot wait to see the program and the development of it.
Cannot wait for this event to be broadcasted!

Last edited: