Campbell spoiler (MM don't read!) | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Campbell spoiler (MM don't read!)

chania36

On the Ice
Thank you very much, I had to reformate and lost all of my favorites, can you give me the adress of the Heather schedule.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
4 judges place Ando FOURTH, yet the Japanese judge places her FIRST.

What's up with THAT?
:p

leon

Rinkside
Miki & Shizuka

I suspect many in the Japanese Federation want Miki to replace Fumie as their top world class skater. For whatever their reasons, Shizuka is getting hurt by this rather blatant favoritism.
As a long time fan of Shizuka, I am certainly biased so take what I write with a grain of salt ... I tend to notice when Arakawa appears to get slighted. . . it might also have something to do with Onde and Callaghan and that skaters are told where to go and who to train with. When Callaghan nixed Onde after Arakawa went to TT perhaps a great plan was in shambles. Need a good conspiracy wonk to put this together in a nice imaginative package.

RealtorGal said:

What's up with THAT?
Actually it's the Canadian judge that seems the most out of step with the others. She is the only judge that placed Arakawa ahead of Kwan, and the only judge who placed Goebel down in third, behind Sandhu.

Maybe she is trying to disprove the notion of a North American bloc. :laugh:

(signed) Mathman's evil twin, who couldn't hold out even for a day!

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I'm not sure if anyone posted this yet, but there are 4 very short clips of Michelle's "Bolero" performance available for downloading at the Michelle Kwan Forum site in the Spoilers section. They are short, but the program looks quite interesting from what I can tell.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Actually it's the Canadian judge that seems the most out of step with the others. She is the only judge that placed Arakawa ahead of Kwan, and the only judge who placed Goebel down in third, behind Sandhu.

Maybe she is trying to disprove the notion of a North American bloc. :laugh:

(signed) Mathman's evil twin, who couldn't hold out even for a day!

I've noticed, historically, when there is a close competetion or split panel against Kwan, the canadian judge usually on the other side vote against Kwan.

I agree whoever said Japanese Federation seems trying to make prop on Ando going into 2006 Olympics. It's reasonable, with all the jumps she is doing, I don't see her body can hold together to 2010. Arakawa's jump consistancy is still hard to tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
BronzeisGolden said:
I'm not sure if anyone posted this yet, but there are 4 very short clips of Michelle's "Bolero" performance available for downloading at the Michelle Kwan Forum site in the Spoilers section. They are short, but the program looks quite interesting from what I can tell.
Check it out. Leon posted the link a few posts up.

http://p216.ezboard.com/fmichellekw...ssageRange?topicID=8601.topic&start=1&stop=20

Scroll down to Jarrett's post, #13.

With all the jumps she is doing, I don't see (how Ando's) body can hold together to 2010. -- MZheng
I can't wait till 2010! Miki Ando, Yukina Ota and Mao Asada lining up against Kim Meissner, Bebe Liang -- and Michelle Kwan!! :laugh:

Mathman:)

bronxgirl

Medalist
Mathman,
and to think I even started this thread with the comment that you shouldn't look! tsk, tsk, (Hey, I couldn't hold out at all! I even was on the MKF chat room while the event was on for the frist time ever! :laugh: :laugh: )

Hikaru

Final Flight
Hello everybody! this is my first post here. I'm happy to read the comments on the event, since I live in Panama and the cable channels here (ESPN latino) doesn't show that it will be broadcasted, so it's good to hear the comments from people that were there, or that saw it on tv. I 've just checked my TV guide and I think I'll get to see skate america at the end of the month.

Anyway, not to get too off topic here, I cannot comment for obvious reasons on how the skaters did here, but what I've always heard is that these types of events are more to try out the new programs. I mean from a competitor's PoV, very likely they are looking how the program works for the judges and audience, so that they can work it out throughout the whole season, so I guess the results here won't determine the end of the season, do I make any sense? nope? lol, I figured.

I can't wait to see all the programs. I'm happy to here that Michelle's program was very good. To be honest, the Tosca program didn't worked for me as the Aranjuez program did a yeat before (I think that music was soo her style!), and I hope to see a, shall I say, more intrincate choreography. I want to see Sasha's program as well. I think the Nutcracker can go really good for her, since she has this ballerina style, very artistic and powerfull (ever since I saw Shen/Zhao skating to the nutcracker I became a fan of that music). I haven't seen Kimmie skate since an exhibition at the US Nationals, I believe. I'm guessing I'll have to wait to see here at nationals. And I definitely want to see Fumie, Shizuka and Miki, they are such great skaters, veyr strong, powerful and elegant.

I would love if someone that saw the event could comment a little more on the men's event, as to who was there, what happened. Oh and congrats on the poster here that got to talk to Brian!

well, gotta go now, but I'll keep reading!

Hikaru

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
RealtorGal said:

What's up with THAT?

If you look only at jumps, then Yoshioka's 5.9 in tech for Ando makes sense; under CoP, the base value of the three jumps/combos that weren't a wash among the three skaters would have given Ando over a 7 point starting advantage, if her jumps had been considered fully rotated. Kwan's base would have been .1 above Arakawa's, but Arakawa had a 3/3, which has psychological impact under 6.0, and two difficult entrances into jumps (spiral and Ina Bauer), which under CoP, only count towards GOE if all phases of the jump are above base execution, and from most reports on FSU (and Heather), they weren't.

So the typical 6.0 "judge by attempted jumps and by one's own internal idea of relative difficulty; spins and the rest be chucked" resulted in a predictable set of tech scores:

Ando: 5.9
Arakawa: 5.8
Kwan: 5.7
Cohen: 5.6

Yoshioka's pre scores are more telling, because Ando was reportedly slow and plodding, with pretty bad transitions and not much interpretation, and a lot more awkward than Arakawa, who was by no means "on," yet they are:

Kwan/Cohen: 5.8
Ando/Arakawa: 5.7

Had he given Ando a 5.6, .1 lower than Arakawa, his ordinals would have been, due to tie break

1-Kwan: 5.7/5.8
2-Arakawa: 5.8/5.7
3-Ando: 5.9/5.6

giving Ando her only 3rd place ordinal, instead of her only 1st place ordinal.

In either case, the results would have been the same, as USA and RUS gave Cohen the tiebreak over Ando in presentation.

I don't think the Japanese Federation is interested in having Ando get a score lower than 5.7, because that points out her deficiency in presentation, even though the 5.7 placeholder from the Russian judge put Ando in 4th. Again, it's a psychological thing: champions get 5.7-6.0 in pre. I also don't think Team Tarasova will take the message that the Japanese Federation thinks Ando's presentation equals Arakawa's very kindly, cheezefest or no. By ranking their young champion as someone who is more accomplished than she is, they underrated their own World Champion, and it would be a shame if this endangers her relationship with her coaching team.

Last edited:

mzheng

Record Breaker
Arakawa only had 4 solid triples include one 3/3, USFSA articel said 5, but from onsite report, one of them is eerked out landing. Michelle had 6 solid triples no eerked out landing. How come Arakawa 5.8 Michelle 5.7? If you say judge under influence of CoP then according to report Ando aborted one of her spin by doing some aimless turns on ice waiting for music caught up.

Well, we all have to wait until next Sunday to see telecast, hope they don't chop out any one. Heck I'd like to see Sebstian's skating. According to one post over FSU that Kwan's jump is now perpendicular to the ice just like Sabstine. All other lady's jump one way or other has obliqued to the ice. Not sure which is correct/text book correct.

Arakawa can jump for sure and usually have a good landing edge running out. But one thing bothers me is she 'dip' her shoulder forward when she pick in, aka Jeffery like, and sometimes she pitch forward when she landed, aka Yagudine like.

Hikaru - Welcome to Golden Skate and yes, the Campbell's event is more for trying out the new program and see what has to be done before individual Nationals come up and, of course, the Worlds.

Regarding a write up of the Campbell's, there is an excellent piece appearing the Golden Skate Newsletter written by our Administrator, It describes each skater's performance.

Joe