Campbell spoiler (MM don't read!) | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Campbell spoiler (MM don't read!)

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
mzheng said:
Arakawa only had 4 solid triples include one 3/3, USFSA articel said 5, but from onsite report, one of them is eerked out landing. Michelle had 6 solid triples no eerked out landing. How come Arakawa 5.8 Michelle 5.7? If you say judge under influence of CoP then according to report Ando aborted one of her spin by doing some aimless turns on ice waiting for music caught up.
I don't think that the judges were under the influence of CoP. If you only take attempted jumps into consideration and not execution or any other technical elements, it so happens that the base value of Ando's jumps is considerably higher than Arakawa's and Kwan's. However, the judge wasn't influenced by CoP if he thought Arakawa's jumps were harder than Kwan's, because Kwan's base for jumps only was slightly higher than Arakawa's, despite Arakawa's 3/3, and Arakawa's jumps are only considered harder if she executes them well and gets an extra point credit for the Ina and spiral entries into two jumps.

It doesn't sound from posted reports like Yoshioka took execution or any other elements into proper consideration when judging the tech scores. Most of the reports seemed to be from Kwan fans (or at least admirers), but I haven't even seen any "wuzrobbed" from the Arakawa fans in the audience. The broadcast will show whether these reports were accurate.

Tristan

Match Penalty
Grow up!

mzheng said:
Then go back to your Japan to have some Sushi/Sashmi. A lot US ppl love Sushi and Sashmi, your words just going to show how narrow minded Japanese ppl are.

Hello? I happened to be Japanese, but do not like either sushi or sashimi; however, I lurrrrrrrrrrv cheese! Can't get enough of it!! By the way, thank you for enlightening me on our narrow mindedness of which I had not been aware. Sorry, my fellow Japanese taught me that the size of the mind is determined by the compassion and understanding one can extend to others regardless of gender, nationality, race, sexual orientation, etc., and not by some comments made by someone whose face or voice you cannot see or hear. Your comment hurt my friends and me who have always enjoyed this site to date. I know you said it in a heat of the moment, but you must deliver yourself what you demand from others so people do not think you are only projecting your own narrow mindedness onto others?

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I love going back and reading the "Predictions and Comments" thread after the competition. Ye of little faith. ;) ;) ;)

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
I love going back and reading the "Predictions and Comments" thread after the competition. Ye of little faith.
ITA!....I clearly remember someone saying that Michelle wouldn't even make the podium....HA!

mzheng

Record Breaker
Tristan said:
Hello? I happened to be Japanese, but do not like either sushi or sashimi; however, I lurrrrrrrrrrv cheese! Can't get enough of it!! By the way, thank you for enlightening me on our narrow mindedness of which I had not been aware. Sorry, my fellow Japanese taught me that the size of the mind is determined by the compassion and understanding one can extend to others regardless of gender, nationality, race, sexual orientation, etc., and not by some comments made by someone whose face or voice you cannot see or hear. Your comment hurt my friends and me who have always enjoyed this site to date. I know you said it in a heat of the moment, but you must deliver yourself what you demand from others so people do not think you are only projecting your own narrow mindedness onto others?

Well, read my words "your words just going to show how narrow minded Japanese ppl are". It's original poster's words show the narrow mind, please read her/his original comment about cheesfest. Since she/he put "Japanese don't like chees" so it's him/her generalized her/he selves with Japanese. Not me! Go back read!!

The guidelines for this forum specifically prohibit posts showing intolerance "towards another individual or group based upon any criteria (including race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, beliefs, etc.)"
I know you said it in the heat of the moment...
Let's take this to be the epitaph to this needless and unpleasant digression.

Mathman (moderator)

Piel said:
I love going back and reading the "Predictions and Comments" thread after the competition. Ye of little faith. ;) ;) ;)
Ahem...

"I expect Michelle to skate beautifully and with passion, throwing down the gauntlet for the other ladies. -- Mathman (9-02-04))"

"Two more days!! I can't wait!! Michelle is going to rock!! -- Mathman (9-29-04)"

Actually, Chrystia Mee did the best. Although she hedged as to whch American lady would be placed first, she did sort of predict, maybe, Michelle, Shizuka, Sasha, and Miki.

Where we really messed up was the men. Nobody predicted Goebel to win, and only two posters (Chrystia Mee and Peaches) even put him on the podium. Of course we thought Plushenko was going to compete at first.

Mathman:)

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Where we really messed up was the men. Nobody predicted Goebel to win, and only two posters (Chrystia Mee and Peaches) even put him on the podium. Of course we thought Plushenko was going to compete at first.

I suspect that's because we didn't expect the highest difficulty jump/combo for the Men's winner to complete was a 3A/2T!

Hikaru

Final Flight
thanks to mzheng, Joesitz, and Yazmeen for the links and for the welcome! I saw some of the pics at the usfsa site. ANd a good thing that I found out is that my espn latino will broadcast the cheesefest at the end of the month, and even better they are going to broadcast for the first time the GP events! I am so excited with that! I see on the pics that Michelle and Sasha haven't yet used new costumes, lol I loved seeing them in light purple (one of my hobbies is drawing and lately I like drawing figure skaters, so there you go). Anyway, I'm happy that I'll get to see the events, 'cause I always feel that the best way to judge something is definitely by watching, 'cause everyone is entitled to have their own views on the programs and so on.

A little OT here, I've never got teh chance of seeing a GP event (again, in Panama FS is not that popular, and since we don't have winter, well you can see what I mean). How many stages of the competition are: short and long programs? how is it for the pairs?

thanks again to all of you, you are all very kind :)

Lynn226

On the Ice
RealtorGal said:
5 pages on a thread about a competition 99% of us have not even SEEN yet! Amazing! :D :laugh:

That's nothing. I think we had five pages over at FSU before anyone had seen the comp, including those who were at the arena. It's so fun deciding how someone will skate before they even take the ice.

Once we actually see the comp, I'm not sure if some will even see the real skating. They've already made up their minds that skater X was/wasn't robbed.

skatingfan5

On the Ice
Hikaru said:
A little OT here, I've never got teh chance of seeing a GP event (again, in Panama FS is not that popular, and since we don't have winter, well you can see what I mean). How many stages of the competition are: short and long programs? how is it for the pairs?
Glad that you will get to see a broadcast of the Campbell's event and also the GP events. For men, ladies, and pairs there is a SP and a LP; for dance there are 3 -- the compulsory dance, the original dance, and the free dance. In the past here in the U.S., ABC covered the long programs and ESPN had the SPs for the singles, with Lifetime covering pairs and dance (except there was more extensive coverage of all discipliens for Skate America). This year only Skate American will be on ABC and it seems as if there will be much more limited coverage on ESPN -- no SP's at all. Still it's better than nothing, right? :)

Chrystia Mee

Rinkside
Mathman said:
Ahem...

"I expect Michelle to skate beautifully and with passion, throwing down the gauntlet for the other ladies. -- Mathman (9-02-04))"

"Two more days!! I can't wait!! Michelle is going to rock!! -- Mathman (9-29-04)"

Actually, Chrystia Mee did the best. Although she hedged as to whch American lady would be placed first, she did sort of predict, maybe, Michelle, Shizuka, Sasha, and Miki.

I had forgotten about my predictions! :laugh: I can't believe I actually made fairly accurate predictions! I'm never right! Although even me as Goebel fan didn't think he'd pull off a victory until I saw him skate.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Hikaru said:
How many stages of the competition are: short and long programs? how is it for the pairs?

thanks again to all of you, you are all very kind :)

For this competition, only the long programs were contested. There were no pairs or ice dance =(

MinnMan

Rinkside
MinnMan

Don't confuse MinnMan, me, (from Minnesota) with Mathman. I don't know where he is from.

Inove and Baldwin did an exhibition pair skate and Bilbin and Agosto did a dance exhibition skate at the end of mens and before the ladies.

bronxgirl

Medalist
Sorry, when I started the thread, it was with Mathman in mind as he was trying to not find out the results before it aired. I'll have to ask Mathman if he prefers to be notified using some mathematical symbol instead :p

MinnMan

Rinkside
MinnMan

I thought there may have been some confusion, but then I am confused most of the time. I was at the Xcel Center and saw the show. I don't think I mentioned any winners, except that Kimmie Meissner was 5th. I can't wait until Sunday to see it on TV................

Longhornliz said:
Oh my goodness I could absolutely explode I cant wait to see this on tv!!!
What will we see on TV? That is the question. Definitely, MK, SC, SA, and I think KM is a possiblity because she is American. I believe this is only an hour show so we will definitely get Tim, Brian and, it will be a toss up for either Emmanuel or Johnny. That's all we will get but there will be the fluffs, the commericals, the iintroduction and closing to the show, and the idle chatter.

4.5 minutes x 7 skaters = 31.5 minutes. Don't hold your breath if you want to see Evan or Jenny.

Joe