Can and will they come back? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Can and will they come back?

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I was very unimpressed with Kostner. I didn't feel she had progressed at all since the last time she competed. The women's competition has moved on.

White and Davis - I would be very, very surprised.

Abbott - not sure what else he has going for him but he can't seem to accept his time might be up. He was never a good competitor on any kind of consistent basis and I don't expect age to have helped him out there.

Lip - so sad to see her falter. Of all the Russian girls she was always my most favorite and her Schindler's List should go down as a classic. She put so much heart and soul into her skating and then all of a sudden it was gone.

K and S have never realized their full potential and I think they are such an elegant team with interesting lifts and choreography. Somehow the spark just isn't there anymore - maybe due to injury maybe due to age. I don't expect them to be contributory in the future.

It's probably prejudice but I dont' think anyone should ever count Jason Brown out. He's a very good competitor and generally brings it to the big competitions. His injuries have held him back the last couple of years but I have high hopes for the coming season.

Virtue and Moir - not throwing shade. Just wish they had stayed retired and rested on their laurels. It really is time for a new generation. Will say the same thing about Mao Asada although some of her programs are my all-time favorites.

Gracie Gold - I think the jury is out at this point in time. A new coach! A new perspective! Please God a new choreographer! She has all the talent in the world and if she skated clean I truly believe she would give Med a run...........but there are a lot of "what ifs" and "buts!" It would really be a shame for her to just fade into the past and be a footnote in figure skating.

My question mark is Adam Rippon. I've always, always loved him but his inconsistency might do him in.

The whole world is looking at Nathan Chan as the man to beat Hanyu, etc. I think if he can skate like he did at Nationals the skys the limit. Hopefully pressure and too many quads doesn't do him in mind and body.

I pretty much agree with this entire post except the V/M take. I'm not trying to be a bias Canadian but V/M right now are just the class of the entire ice dance world right now. They clearly came back because they love it and they feel they want more. And frankly I think its theirs to lose. They have won by a hefty margin in every competition they have done this year and they deserved it. D/W I dont think would come back, I think it would be a great show down again at the olympics but I dont think coming back in an olympic year and being off for so long would do them well. I think if they were going to come back they would of done it when V/M did. I'd be shocked if they came back next year. Kostner.. as I have said before I think was way over scored.. I do like the uniqueness of her SP but I really dont like her FS. I think its much too slow and basic and I dont think the judges will be as nice to her at worlds as they were at Europeans.

heyang

Record Breaker
I feel it depends heavily on your definition of comeback. If, say, Jeremy mostly wants to come back to have his retirement skate at what I believe would be his tenth nationals, I'm sure he could accomplish that.

As for Davis/White- if they wanted to, they could do it. They haven't let themselves slip very far from competitive shape ever in the past three years, and I think they're better as a team now than when they last competed. Whether or not they want to, well, we'll see. I do feel like people are definitely projecting a little when it comes to the possibility of D/W returning. I'll just leave it there.

I agree. Jeremy might just want to try for one last performance, as well. Perhaps he'll do better with no expectations.... I know he's older than Galindo 1996, but Rudy didn't have a great career. He want into 96 US Nationals only because it was in the area of his hometown and he wanted to compete one last time. So, he ended up winning US Nationals and World Bronze that year! So, sometimes a magic moment occurs.

I also agree that Davis/White are likely competitive enough to have a successful return to competition... if they want to. I'm not sure if they both want to compete. Also, the US has 2 strong dance teams - so, they may feel like they don't have to defend the US's reputation in Ice Dance.

heyang

Record Breaker
I am not sure what youu mean by Paul Wylie. Paul had never had a podium break through like Liz Manley. Mao has had numerous world medals and an OSM.

Paul was the surprise silver medalist at the 92 Olympics. No one expected him to medal at all and he had the performance of his life (which I missed!) that win certainly gave him his professional skating career. I do agree that Mao is already well decorated - so, I'm not sure if I would say that she'd have a true Paul Wylie moment unless only referring to her comeback season.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
But Adam? Are you kidding me? Josh has actual programs (rather than shoulder-shimmies and finger-waggles) with actual musical interpretation as well as his textbook-perfect jumps (and HE doesn't need favours from tech panels). Josh is a far superior skater to Adam.

oh Karne ..... :shock2: That is a bold statement. It is delusional to think Adam gets favors from the tech panel. Believe it or not there are some people who enjoy Adams skating, who enjoy his artistry and his dedication to the choreography. He is also upping his tech. But it is easy to say " he gets favors from the tech panel" as a way of dismissing him and dismissing his talent. Like people on this forum who used to say he planned his falls on quads. It is ridiculous. Adam works so so hard t skating for someone to say that is just laughable.
All skaters deserve respect and admiration, even if they are not your personal favorite or they beat your personal favorite.

Here is my bold statement for the day:
I don't think Jason or Josh could touch Adams LP skate from 2016 TDF.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I don't think Jason or Josh could touch Adams LP skate from 2016 TDF.

The only argument required against that is: 4CC 2015 Schindler's List and Worlds 2015 Tristan et Iseult (and Skate America 2016 Scent of Love).

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
The only argument required against that is: 4CC 2015 Schindler's List and Worlds 2015 Tristan et Iseult (and Skate America 2016 Scent of Love).

Well, it comes down to preference. You prefer Josh and Jason, I prefer Adam. The sky did not fall.

But to say things like Adam gets favors from the tech panel is not ok. He has struggled for 8 years and had a lot of very low lows in his career. He deserves some respect.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Well, it comes down to preference. You prefer Josh and Jason, I prefer Adam. The sky did not fall.

But to say things like Adam gets favors from the tech panel is not ok. He has struggled for 8 years and had a lot of very low lows in his career. He deserves some respect.

Thank you for this.
Also, I have seen them both skate many times in practice, competition and show settings and they are both great in their own unique ways.
I wish the bashing of those who aren't a particular posters favorites would stop.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Yeah, sure, because Adam's the only skater who's fought it out for 8+ years and had a lot of low lows and deserves respect. Not like Max gets any and his jumps are actually clean AND he actually relies on what he lays down on the ice, for good or bad.

Don't make me laugh about the kid gloves with which Nationals TPs treat Adam's URs and <<.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well I guess we just need to wait and see. But it is clear Nathan is in the driver seat. Jason is still the beloved guy. assuming the US regains 3 spots who will get the third is a toss up. Adam Rippon, Max Aaron, Josh, Grant, Alex, I suppose Jeremy if he came back,

all that

Final Flight
Davis and White could come back the day before the Olympics and win everything. They've got plenty of time to decide.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I'm not so sure of that but......okay....:unsure:

It's a nice sentiment but, I agree. It seems like yesterday but when you watch those older programs, you can really how far the teams have come in a very short time.

mrrice

Record Breaker

Karne...Does Max have an Instagram account? I realize he's not Gracie but, I am still excited for his return to competition. Is he going to be competing before next season? I know he's an alternate for 4CC but, it doesn't look like he'll be getting a chance for redemption anytime soon. He's such a rock mentally and I refuse to lose faith in his ability.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Karne...Does Max have an Instagram account? I realize he's not Gracie but, I am still excited for his return to competition. Is he going to be competing before next season? I know he's an alternate for 4CC but, it doesn't look like he'll be getting a chance for redemption anytime soon. He's such a rock mentally and I refuse to lose faith in his ability.

https://www.instagram.com/maxtaaron/?hl=en

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

He does, as Ic3Rabbit posted, but he rarely uses it :laugh:. I don't know if he'll be competing before next season. I imagine he is taking his role as an alternate quite seriously as he always does, and he is actually higher up the list of consideration than you might think for WTT. I am sure he will come back stronger than ever next season.

musicfan80

Medalist
I believe Max is also finishing up school either this spring or summer. That will be a good hurdle to clear and not think about in an Olympic year.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Davis and White could come back the day before the Olympics and win everything. They've got plenty of time to decide.

It's bit too late in my opinion. Like others said: if they had intention of coming back for the next Olympics they would have already released anouncement and resumed training. V/M return was slightly surprising but not shocking as they did lots of shows & exhibitions after Sochi for next two years. The same cannot be said about D/W + they likely have no competitive fire or will left in them after winning everything possible and ending on the highest possible note.

As their fan (they were my very favourites since 2008/2009) I don't want them to come back. There is time & space for new, younger American teams - they also need success and spotlight. In a way I still keep missing them though as when I recall when every autumn I was looking forward to their new programs like kids for Christmas gifts. I also remember all those nail-bitters with them, since that time I don't feel similar tension while watching Ice Dancing. To be fair I even completely lost interest and stopped following that discipline for almost whole year after Sochi Olympics and but time & things changed.

Last edited:

blackey

On the Ice
I don't (didn't) think d/w will come back, but what the big announcement could possible be?