Canadian First Nations hosts want to meet with Russian skaters | Golden Skate

Canadian First Nations hosts want to meet with Russian skaters

i love to skate

Medalist
Just as I predicted - the Canadian First Nations aren't taking this lightly:

My first reaction is that I feel really disheartened that this took place, particularly given how the indigenous people in Australia feel about it," Tewanee Joseph, CEO of the Four Host First Nations said today.

"I'd love to meet with the Russian pair, with the skaters themselves. We are going to extend an invitation to them," said Mr. Joseph.

"They are coming into our territory. They should feel comfortable here but at the same time, we want to educate them on our culture and we will encourage them to contact the Aboriginals in Australia before the Games," he said.

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/figure-sk...+nations+hosts+want+meet+with+russian+skaters

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I hope the First Nations groups can do something to help settle this.

As co-sponsors of the Olympics in Canada, they have some vested interest in a smoothly running games.

i love to skate

Medalist
Did the CBC story mention V&M? What tack did they take on the story?

No mention of V/M. The story focused on the premise of the dance, they showed video clips, described the costumes and choreography, and showed the statement from D/S. They interviewed a First Nations author who called it insensitive and interviewd the CEO of the four Host First Nations of the Games. It was also mentioned that it was a big story because of all the work that has gone into including First Nations culture into the Games.

They showed how the Dutch Olympic team consulted with Canadian First Nations for their Olympic outfits because they have used a traditional design of Thunderbird wings, also mentioned a tasteful British promo that used an Inuit theme. Ummm what else, oh the CEO again invited D/S to come and speak with them. Interviewed PJ Kwong as well.

oxade21

Match Penalty
Linichuk already issued official statement. There will be no apology as there was nothing to apologize for.
Continue your smear campaign as much as you want.

Bennett

Record Breaker
http://www.ctvolympics.ca/figure-skating/news/newsid=27440.html

Mr. Kraatz said that Aboriginal women do not wear body paint, as Ms. Domnina did during their routine. And that Aboriginals will find it offensive that they wore red, because it is a colour to be used only for ceremonial purposes.

I am glad that this article gave specific explanations of their perspective as to in what ways the dance is offensive to them.

mishieru07

On the Ice
and the snowball grows...

I really hope it doesn't grow further. All this negative publicity is really bad for the sport, particularly ice dance.

ITA Bennett; it's good that they actually point out what's considered inappropriate in Aboriginal culture.

I hope DomShabs will actually make some changes, especially costumes-wise. But considering their recent statements, I highly doubt any action will be taken.

Really wonder how large this snowball will grow. Considering the nearly worldwide coverage, things ain't looking good.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I am also glad that First Nations leaders are taking as an fair, gentle, and healthy approach as possible. No confrontation at all.

I hope that the couple would not get defensive and address the matter gracefully with an open heart.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5iHIoJyXgylNRj7g5oroE4O115bOQ
"I'm disheartened because there didn't appear to be an engagement with the indigenous people in Australia," Tewanee Joseph, executive director of the Four Host First Nations, told The Canadian Press in a telephone interview.
"I don't think it was malice or anything, I don't think those young people wanted to disrespect the indigenous peoples there, but I think once you engage and have a better understanding of the culture, it would be better for everybody."
The Four Host First Nations represent the four bands whose traditional lands are home to the Vancouver Olympics, where Domnina and Shabalin are expected to skate their contentious program next month.
"I'm just drafting a letter to the Russian couple, and we want to host them and welcome them into our territory and also help educate them on our protocols when the come in to compete in Vancouver," Joseph said.
"We want to encourage them to contact the indigenous peoples in Australia as well before they Games and we're going to do the same as well."

Last edited:

sk8rdad

On the Ice
Did the CBC story mention V&M? What tack did they take on the story?

What do V/M have to do with this story? It's not about them and if they are smart they will steer well clear of it. There is no reason for V/M to get distracted by this.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I agree that V&M should stay far, far away from it. However, whenever there is a story about a sport, often reporters will interview other athletes in the same sport to comment. Or the reporters will editorialize as to how this would affect other athletes or teams. This is true even in football or baseball

(Example-Tom Brady is out for the season-the reporters discuss endlessly what that means for other AFL teams)

So I was curious how the Canadian media was handling it.

I'm glad they didn't bring in V&M or any other team--better for the teams, but the media never worries much about that.

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
In her statement Natalia Linichuk is not truthful in denying that the idea for the dance was not to represent the Aborigines of Australia.

See screenshot of their official site blog here!

So she spins it as a deliberate attempt of "sabotage" ???? What a piece of work she is!

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
In her statement Natalia Linichuk is not truthful in denying that the idea for the dance was not to represent the Aborigines of Australia.

See screenshot of their official site blog here!

So she spins it as a deliberate attempt of "sabotage" ???? What a piece of work she is!

I remember a few months ago specifically reading about them describing their OD as "australian aborigine" dance. They are trying to backpedal now.

Linichuk already issued official statement. There will be no apology as there was nothing to apologize for.

Continue your smear campaign as much as you want.

This is what I think Oksana and Maxim should do (not that they have asked me for my opinion, but anyway…)

They should come out with a statement to the effect that they are sorry for all the controversy and misunderstanding that their dance choice has caused. Then they should say that, quite the opposite from wanting to cause bad feelings, the reason they chose this theme was to give recognition to a culture that historically has been marginalized and ignored. Usually when people hear “folk dance” they think, “oh, a polka fest. How nice.” But there are many other cultures with traditions in the creative arts that deserve equal attention, and this is what we were trying to do.

(Stop there, and leave out the part about, “and if you don’t like our dance, you can stick it in your ear.)

i love to skate

Medalist
Then they should say that, quite the opposite from wanting to cause bad feelings, the reason they chose this theme was to give recognition to a culture that historically has been marginalized and ignored. Usually when people hear “folk dance” they think, “oh, a polka fest. How nice.” But there are many other cultures with traditions in the creative arts that deserve equal attention, and this is what we were trying to do.

But now the problem is that they are saying it wasn't supposed to be an Australian Aboriginal dance - it was "just a dance from a thousand years ago". So why are they skating to Australian Aboriginal music if it wasn't supposed to be Australian? Do they not realize that there are hundreds of different Aboriginal cultures in the world and you can't just create a dance and say it is Aboriginal? Do they realize that these types of dances are still performed today and are ceremonial, spirtiual, and sacred? Is it even a folk dance if it doesn't even represent a specific culture or country?

Now you have Domnina saying the costumes are "spot on" :scratch:well obviously they aren't because they are totally inaccurate. They need to come out with a statment and say they messed up, they didn't do their homework, and they should have meet with someone who knows the movement and costuming. They should also say that they intended no malice but they realize they have offended people and made severe mistakes in their costuming.

oxade21

Match Penalty
I remember a few months ago specifically reading about them describing their OD as "australian aborigine" dance. They are trying to backpedal now.

In all official documents it is described as "aboriginal" there is no mention any specific region. In any case, personally I do not care if they offend any aboriginal group. This is ice dance, not Amnesty International dance show.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
oh to have the type of personality that doesn't care about any other but one, myself... what a *joy* that would be.

Medusa

Record Breaker
In all official documents it is described as "aboriginal" there is no mention any specific region. In any case, personally I do not care if they offend any aboriginal group. This is ice dance, not Amnesty International dance show.
But that in itself breaks the rules, since the dance, even if Aboriginal in nature, should be specific to one Region / Country.

ISU communication 1567 said:
2. GUIDELINES FOR ORIGINAL DANCE FOR 2009/2010

For all ISU Championships, Olympic Games and International Competitions in 2009/2010, both Junior and Senior, the rhythm of the Original Dance will be:
Folk / Country Dance

Any type of folk/country dance music or typical dance of the country can be used. For the chosen type, there are no restrictions on the number of musical selections. Although the dance may consist of different musical selections – fast and/or slow- there must be a consistent theme based on a specific country or region. The arrangement of the chosen music should give a genuine feel for folk/country dance. It should be very distant from the feeling of the Grand Ballroom.

Same examples: Village, Square, Street, Barn dance, Hoedown, Mazurka, Polka, Tarantella, Hula, Hora, Csardas, Kalinka, Gapak, Syrtaky, Scottish, Irish, Jig, Reel, Guajira, Cumbia, Jarabe, Fandango, Aborigines Dance, Chinese dances, Lesginka, Country Waltz, Flamenco, etc. (...)