Canadian First Nations hosts want to meet with Russian skaters | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Canadian First Nations hosts want to meet with Russian skaters

I think figure skating is a mixed discipline of primarily artistic performance with certain sport elements. And it should be treated in that way. I am sure the discipline will only benefit if it's excluded from Olympic program. It will be rocky times but eventually it will find itself and its audience.

You are speaking of figure skating generally, not just ice dance, right?

I, too, have often thought that figure skating is making a big mistake by allowing itself to be classified as an "Olympic sport" and would be better off on its own.

But then again, just because figure skating is "not a real sport," that in inself is no reason to kick it out of the Olympics. The Olympics are about flag-waving and nationalistic one-upsmanship, rather than sport. In terms of politics and corruption the ISU is a choir boy compared to the IOC, so figure skating-- scandals and all -- fits right in.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
Russian ice dance 'offensive but legal'

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/russian-ice-dance-offensive-but-legal-20100126-mwel.html

I just saw this article. Has anyone else read this yet? I think the Aboriginal Land Council's decision was pretty gracious, considering how offended they were initially

Ms Manton urged the pair to ditch their dark coloured skin suits, adorned with feathers and leaves, while performing. ''All we can do is repeat our earlier calls for Ms Domnina and Mr Shabalin to rethink their performance.''

The council also invited the dancers to visit Australia and meet indigenous elders so they could gain a better understanding of Aboriginal culture.

Their demands sound reasonable. They mirror what most posters have been saying here the past few weeks. I think DomShabs should go along with them. Hopefully, they'll have enough time to come up with new costumes. I don't think changing their costumes will negatively affect their OD in the least bit.

As for the invitation to visit Australia, they'll probably only have time for that after the Olympics.

^ Thanks for the link.

"Not illegal" is interesting language. What laws might have been involved? Is it against Canadian law to cavort about in outlandish costumes?

Bennett

Record Breaker
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/russian-ice-dance-offensive-but-legal-20100126-mwel.html

I just saw this article. Has anyone else read this yet? I think the Aboriginal Land Council's decision was pretty gracious, considering how offended they were initially

Their demands sound reasonable. They mirror what most posters have been saying here the past few weeks. I think DomShabs should go along with them. Hopefully, they'll have enough time to come up with new costumes. I don't think changing their costumes will negatively affect their OD in the least bit.

As for the invitation to visit Australia, they'll probably only have time for that after the Olympics.

Yeah, I find them mature and graceful.

I'd definitely think that the couple should go before performing it at the Games. That's the whole point, i.e., learning the culture before performing it at the biggest stage where people around the world will watch.

Sure, they have a tight schedule. But they did not do enough homework before bringing it to the world stage. They are responsible for doing so now if they haven't yet.

Medusa

Record Breaker
If you actually believe what you stated above why are you wasting time posting here. You obviously are not a fan of the sport and have way too much time on your hands. Get a life! :scowl:
If you read the boards regularly, you will know that I rarely post anything on ice-dance because ice-dance tends to frustrate me to no end.

I also find your response to be rude and highly arrogant and I am not sure my post merited such a rude response, since I didn't attack you or anyone else, besides the judges, in person.

skatingbc

Final Flight
Why would it be a sad day? It's a stupid discipline anyway. Once in a while the judges "choose" someone worthy of medals and high marks - like Davis / White this season, but most of the time it's just brainless politicking.

I don't watch skating because of the judging. I watch it because I love the sport.