CoP and Music: Do we need a new soundtrack? | Golden Skate

CoP and Music: Do we need a new soundtrack?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
CoP has brought a change to how figure skating is evolving. Faster stronger programs are winning with tech heavy elements taking the main focus these days. Skaters are adapting and a new face of skating is emerging and yet.....the music stays the same.

I can think of many reasons to update the soundtracks we hear at our competitions. The first is to potentially attract a younger audience and giving a sense of moderness that may serve to bring on new fans by giving them something to relate to. Another reason and more importantly is music like this( http://youtu.be/VNqh34d1-uo) may actually suit today's skating much better giving way to much more coheicive programs that skaters and fans may relate to. I'm not saying the music is better than even Carmen or POTO but with DJ's producing music like this almost everyday.....why are we still hearing old music over and over again when there are cutting edge songs that blend an old and new sound that may fit the scoring system better.

I'm not suggesting we ban the classics or even discourage it. My point is more that figure skating fans seem to enjoy things along the lines of fashion and entertainment as is evidenced in some of the threads here. Maybe the music could reflect that aspect to a degree.

Thoughts?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I can't say I liked that Parov Stelar piece at all, and it didn't seem to me to have musical phrases that lent themselves to highlighting long glides or having explosive moments to highlight jumps, or spinny parts.

Please explain why you feel it is particularly suited for skating?

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not surprised to hear that reaction and actually anticipated it. To me though skating is trending in a direction that has much more busy movements and footwork within the entire program. A steady beat to do it to is actually a good thing in my opinion. I did however think the opening and particularly the 1:27-1:40 mark lend themselves nicely for a dramatic moment. That brings me to my next point...with electronic music these days everything is easily manipulated and easily edited. DJ's like Stelar are part of a movement centered in Austria around a growing and hip electronic movement/culture. Involving people like this into our sport could infuse a new interest and they aren't that pricey to work with. DJ's could easily sit down and adjust the music to match a video of a program fairly easily making the skating first and formost and the music just there to accent it. This song was just one that I heard and thought it had potential...there are probably other examples out there.

I'm not saying everyone should take this path but I wish a few brave souls would make an attempt.

Icey

Record Breaker
Skating has stagnated as far as musical choices go. A change will come, as the old guard passes off and a new generation of judges, coaches, federation leadership, etc. rise up to prominence. That being said, wouldn't what you suggest be a major expense for the skating athlete, who is already over burdened by the outdated and costly system which governs participation in the sport ?

I fantasized a great program to your musical suggestion (skated by Kwan in my mind) lol. That reminds me of the time Michelle was brave enough to skate to music with some disconsonant passages in it, she dropped the piece pronto allegedly due to the judges reactions. And that is big part of the problem: having to worry about judge reaction.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think there would be plenty of DJ's that would remix a song and do it primarily for the exposure and they my just line up in an Olympic season. I'm a fairly talented muscician and I do it for free.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
This is an interesting topic. I think the risk with using more modern/techno pieces is that they might not stand the test of time. There are some programs I can remember where the pieces were modern at the time but sound awful now. One is Tonya Harding's 1991 LP; the Batman orchestral parts were fine but then the rest of her program was skated to the rap song "Wild Thing" if I recall correctly. Some European skaters used techno pieces during the 1980's and 1990's which I also think sound dated now.

Icey

Record Breaker
I think there would be plenty of DJ's that would remix a song and do it primarily for the exposure and they my just line up in an Olympic season. I'm a fairly talented muscician and I do it for free.
Well, hopefully many skaters will see your offer here and go for it.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
This is an interesting topic. I think the risk with using more modern/techno pieces is that they might not stand the test of time. There are some programs I can remember where the pieces were modern at the time but sound awful now. ...

Risk to whom???
Shouldn't skaters choose whichever music will help them skate (and score) their best in the season at hand?
If it sounds dated to me when I am watching a video years later, that is my problem -- not the skater's problem.

gkelly

Record Breaker
I think the repetitive music without sharp changes and few highlights often helps the skaters execute the elements because they don't have to worry about being in time with the music through every measure -- just general awareness of the underlying pulse and major phrase endings is all the music asks of them.

However, because that music doesn't ask much in terms of interpretation, I think it's hard to interpret it in ways that deserve high scores for Choreography and Interpretation.

So if a skater actually is musical and actually is confident enough with the technique to have attention to spare for interpreting the music, they're better off choosing something that allows for more specific interpretation.

I think the choice has more to do with each skater's skills and strategies for where they will put the most attention for earning points and little to do with the scoring system.

The time period when the music was written is also less relevant -- there are repetitive pieces from the 18th century or the 21st, and more emotional or varied pieces from either era as well, and all eras in between.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
A lot of people have used & are using Parov Stelar's Booty Swing-it works quite well for skating, so this is not a blankey condemnation of Parov Stelar or of electronic Swing. BUT If I had to listen to 30 versions of something as droning as the original track, I would not ever pay for a ticket, and might quit watching skating altogether, at least with the audio on.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
:laugh: Who said I wanted to watch 30 skaters all skating to Baroque? However, I can sleep to Baroque very well....

Meoima

Match Penalty
:biggrin: if any skater can turn the table music of Baroque era into a really exciting performance, that would be a miracle. Lol

Icey

Record Breaker
Didn't Ryan Bradly do a comic skate with baroque chamber music when he was competing?

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Risk to whom???
Shouldn't skaters choose whichever music will help them skate (and score) their best in the season at hand?
If it sounds dated to me when I am watching a video years later, that is my problem -- not the skater's problem.

Agreed! The most important thing is for the program to be choreographed and skated well. I'm willing to bet that years from now, most programs with "Let It Go" will sound very dated, indeed. But that won't matter at all for the one-in-a-gajillion that really delivers the music well.

Having said that, now crossing fingers and toes that most people will decide that "LIG" is not the music that brings out their best. Same for Carmen and POTO, puh-leeeeze! :laugh:

Meoima

Match Penalty
If I were Speedy, I would create a rule, all skater have to skate to table music (see Telemann) in their short, whoever makes us least sleepy will get the gold. Lol

Alex D

Record Breaker
I think everything has its place to be honest.

I do come from the electronic dance music industry and well, some new interpretations of older records do sound good but not all do.

Adagio for strings by Samual Barber has a few good remixes / reworks (Tiesto, Corsten Orbit), I also liked the Albioni rework from about 10 years ago (Rollerball).

Personally I like it a lot if male skaters pick stuff like of Daft Punk but with the Ladies its different, I kind of like if they skate to classical sounds which are not altered too much or to music by motion pictures like Titanic, Pearl Harbour etc.

anyanka

Record Breaker
What if the ISU publishes a list of "approved" musical pieces that can only be used that year? It can be a mix of the usual classical pieces, some jazz numbers, and popular songs from the last half-century. They pick and choose from there, and it would be first-come, first-serve, and they limit only two skaters or teams across all disciplines can use that for the year, so that there is less repetition. They can then bring in new music every year, and the "usual stuff" can take a season off at a time so we don't think "ugh not ANOTHER Swan Lake!"

On the flip side, it'll be tough and potentially artistically stifling if skaters are limited in their choices. And some fans do want to see some of the "usual" pieces they associate with skating, like Carmen, POTO, Swan Lake, Firebird ... as overused as they are already.

Thoughts?