Czisny plans triple Lutz-triple toe for Skate America | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Czisny plans triple Lutz-triple toe for Skate America

I'm very very impressed with Alissa for going for the 3-3 and getting it.

That said - what a dreary program. That music is as slow as molasses and Alissa is already a slow skater.

Binthere

On the Ice
It is an interesting strategy. I think creating the goal of going for high end technical content only enhances the perception of her skating early in the season, as it is not expected of her, WE are all considering it and thinking about her, and even if she does not, trainig triple-triples but then delivering clean triple-doubles amidst all those amazing spins and spirals, should still work well competitively.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Kudos to Alissa for upping her difficulty, but I wouldn't necessarily dismiss the others as mediocre and unwilling to put in the work to improve. If the 3-3 isn't consistent enough then, frankly, it isn't a good idea to put it in a program. Rachel had them before but obviously age and injuries have taken their toll. Ashley had problems with downgrades, and often Mirai has problems with downgrades in the FIRST jump of her 3-3s.

In a way I feel like the current generation of senior skaters got screwed. They grew up not learning figures and not learning proper jump technique. It was all about 7 triple, aesthetically-pleasing programs. Now you can't even get to 7 triples without a 3-3, edge work is scrutinized, and points taken away for clean but technically improper triples. Certainly the ISU was correct to address these problems and change the direction of scoring. However, I feel bad for these skaters who learned how to become a champion with skills that now seem almost antiquated.

I'm very very impressed with Alissa for going for the 3-3 and getting it.

That said - what a dreary program. That music is as slow as molasses and Alissa is already a slow skater.

Agreed. Alissa is my favorite U.S. skater this year, but that music does nothing but call attention to how deliberately she stalks each element.

Krislite

Medalist
All you Alyssa fans raving about her under-rotated triple-triple just wait--Mirai will attempt a triple Axel this season and a triple-triple. ;) (At least according to Frank Carroll.)

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Where? We know she's attempting 3As in practice, but I'd be floored if she actually added it to her program.

All you Alyssa fans raving about her under-rotated triple-triple just wait--Mirai will attempt a triple Axel this season and a triple-triple. ;) (At least according to Frank Carroll.)

I hope she does! It would be great to have two such accomplished skaters performing up to their full potential.

Binthere

On the Ice
It was commented that this top group of US ladies seems to be competing amongst themselves. I do think that this explicit effort to up the technical ante is a direct response to all the incredible jumping talent that is coming up behind them (age wise) especially from the crop of Russian girls. Will be interesting to see how the two movements reconcile. I suspect that if Alissa can pull off something which raises her technical game, it will be something that should really be rewarded assuming the ability to spin, have correct and beautiful positions, and the concept of actually skating WITH and TO the music, still matters in the judges' minds.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Where? We know she's attempting 3As in practice, but I'd be floored if she actually added it to her program.

Me too. Mao has been training the 3A since her early teens and even now has problems with rotating the jump sometimes. I don't see how you learn a jump that difficult, relatively late in your career (for learning new jumps), and get it consistent enough to put in a competitive program. It's not only the difficulty of the jump, but also that attempting it takes additional energy and concentration that could affect what comes afterwards in the program. If you have all the other triples and and a 3-3 I don't think you need the 3A if your program is well constructed. And I think that will still be the case in Sochi.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Tonya Harding learned it relatively late in her career (older than 16) and, IMO, much of her consistency problems resulted frm her training habits versus anything else.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Tonya Harding learned it relatively late in her career (older than 16) and, IMO, much of her consistency problems resulted frm her training habits versus anything else.

I almost think it's better to learn that jump later in life than earlier.

jcoates

Medalist
I don't think the issue with Czisny's program is necessarily the music itself, but the particular cut of it she's using. V/M and Rahkammo and Kokko both used it very successfully in FDs. Their cuts of Valse Triste were not as quiet as Alissa's. They also skated their programs with more force and energy. It's actually very powerful music when used correctly. I got the impression that Alissa's program lacked a clear point of view along with the very quiet cut of music.

KKonas

Medalist
In teleconferene w/Czisny today, she wasn't sure she would put in the triple Lutz/triple toe, but will be putting in the single triple Salchow, which she said she hadn't put in her programs for several years.

KKonas

Medalist
In teleconferene w/Czisny today, she wasn't sure she would put in the triple Lutz/triple toe, but will be putting in the single triple Salchow, which she said she hadn't put in her programs for several years.

Sorry for double post, just want to clarify that this statement was in regard to the upcoming Skate America GP.

reynycpr

On the Ice
Just as a reference, I believe one of the last times she attempted a 3Sal: 2004 Skate America LP (2:26) cheated, but still attempted at least.

Any other vids of her attempting or landing this jump in the past?

brightphoton

Medalist

Oh dear, was her triple-triple under-rotated? Was it only the second triple that was under-rotated?