Dance - Free | Page 22 | Golden Skate

Dance - Free

~tapdancer

On the Ice
Meryl and Charlie should have been on that podium with Tanith & Ben, and Tessa & Scott. That's all I've got to say. :cry:
How exciting that would have been...an all NA podium. Course we knew that was never going to happen. Meryl and Charlie were the sacrificial lambs this time around.

Alicja

On the Ice
Has the dance ceremony made it to youtube? I searched it and didn't find it but maybe I've just overlooked it. If someone finds it, please post. I'd love to see it. I'm happy for all the medalists although my podium would have needed at least 3 more places :D

amateur

Final Flight
I am one of those people who is puzzled by how D/S got away with the winner status and trying to understand the judges. One thing that I could tell with my non-expert eyes was the Dominina seemed a lot taller than any other girls in the field and the lifts really showed off her gorgeous leg lines. Then, I read a review on nbc.com that many of the lifts were performed on Shabalin's single blade which I couldn't tell from my inferior youtube viewing.

So, while I was developing some respect for the seeming 'empty' programs of D/S, I read the following quote including Tracy Wilson's comment.

I thought the two opposite observations showed how subjective it might be even to the experts and judges as well.

Maybe Tracy was referring more to the skating between the lifts? There isn't necessarily a contradicion here, though you're right in pointing out that 2 different experts can notice and/or fail to notice different aspects of the same performance.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
BTW, Tessa and Scott didn't acknowledge the other skaters on the podium at Worlds 2008, either.

i love to skate

Medalist
Don't spread that kind of rumor because it isn't true. She did congratulate them.

Oh sorry! My feed cut out last night while watching it so I didn't see that, just rewatched it and caught it! Sorry! I was just trying to point out that I fully suspect all the skaters talked/congratulated each other backstage. It's not a big deal and I'm sure there are no hard feelings.

Alicja

On the Ice
Oh sorry! My feed cut out last night while watching it so I didn't see that, just rewatched it and caught it! Sorry! I was just trying to point out that I fully suspect all the skaters talked/congratulated each other backstage. It's not a big deal and I'm sure there are no hard feelings.

I got what you were trying to express and I agree with you. :yes: Good sportsmanship is something I really really appreciate. I can understand why some people get annoyed when skaters don't congratulate each other but since we don't know the circumstances or what happened backstage I wouldn't want to judge them based on what we see at the actual ceremony.

icedancedevotee

Rinkside
Meryl and Charlie were the sacrificial lambs this time around.

Meryl and Charlie, and also Jana and Sergei. I feel exceedingly bad for K/N, and I don't even care for their style of skating that much. True, this wasn't their best competition all season, not even close--but to end up in SIXTH? I was sure they were being groomed and propped up to be the ones to beat for the Olympics, but once again, they drop down to being the #2 Russians. I hope that they can keep their spirits up, and that they come roaring back next season with great material. And as I said, I'm not even really a fan. But best of luck to them.

piano4112000

Rinkside
I just finished watching the British euro sport for the free dance. They were also puzzled by Davis and White being in fourth. They even said it them selves that theirs was the best free dance and should have been way a head. So, what happened? I'm appalled by the result. Technically and presentation wise D&W was the best that night but didn't get the score they should have. I just watched their OD and CD and I think the were also underscore. Me thinks someone is trying to push this team down to lift up another team.

I watched Igor and Zoueva(sp) reaction when D&W finished the free and they looked so proud and happy. I think they were just as disappointed in the scores as we are and I think they know what goes on behind the scene.

I just made up a title : Best skater in the land and I give that to Davis & White :rofl I'm proud of D&W and I hope this result didn't mentally hurt them.

~tapdancer

On the Ice
I just finished watching the British euro sport for the free dance. They were also puzzled by Davis and White being in fourth. They even said it them selves that theirs was the best free dance and should have been way a head. So, what happened? I'm appalled by the result. Technically and presentation wise D&W was the best that night but didn't get the score they should have. I just watched their OD and CD and I think the were also underscore. Me thinks someone is trying to push this team down to lift up another team.
Hence, the sacrificial lambs. Of course it was ice dance politiks. It always is.

I watched Igor and Zoueva(sp) reaction when D&W finished the free and they looked so proud and happy. I think they were just as disappointed in the scores as we are and I think they know what goes on behind the scene.
Of course they do.

I just made up a title : Best skater in the land and I give that to Davis & White :rofl I'm proud of D&W and I hope this result didn't mentally hurt them.
I'm sure they are fine. The skaters know what's going on, too. That's why they always say they just want to skate their best. Especially in ice dance, you just have to put it out there and then hope for the best. We've known about ice dance judging for a long time now. I'm proud of D/W, too, enormously proud.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Technically and presentation wise D&W was the best that night but didn't get the score they should have. I just watched their OD and CD and I think the were also underscore. Me thinks someone is trying to push this team down to lift up another team.
I, too, think D& W should have medaled, since they were the best duo in FD, IMO. But that would drop Tessa & Scott to 4th.

TripletA

Rinkside
With what went on during this ice dancing IN the United States does not bode well for the Olympics next year. If they could low ball two of the 3 ice dancing teams IN the US imagine what they will try and get away with next year in Canada.

~tapdancer

On the Ice
I, too, think D& W should have medaled, since they were the best duo in FD, IMO. But that would drop Tessa & Scott to 4th.
Tessa and Scott weren't the reason D/W got fourth. Not really. We definitely need to look higher up on the podium for the real travesty.

DaveT

On the Ice
With what went on during this ice dancing IN the United States does not bode well for the Olympics next year. If they could low ball two of the 3 ice dancing teams IN the US imagine what they will try and get away with next year in Canada.

I suspect if there are shenanigans like this in Vancouver that it will be the last time we see Ice Dance in the Olympics.

~tapdancer

On the Ice
I suspect if there are shenanigans like this in Vancouver that it will be the last time we see Ice Dance in the Olympics.

I don't know about that...the same thing was said during the 98 Olympics. And Canadians were involved if you recall...

rain

Record Breaker
Originally Posted by iluvtodd
Meryl and Charlie should have been on that podium with Tanith & Ben, and Tessa & Scott. That's all I've got to say.

I agree with this. I thought Virtue and Moir should have won the CD with B/A first in the OD, and D/W first in the FD. And I say this as a big fan of Virtue/Moir (who I hope win the gold at the Olympics). I thought the weakest of the top four FDs was D/S. A lot of it was probably lack of training time, but you could really see the seams (though I think Domnina's new look is far and away better than the blond).

I think there was a case for either B/A or V/M for second best behind D/W in the FD. V/M's dance was far more interesting and intricate, while B/A's had more polish and flow, but was ho-hum old hat pseudo Russian and didn't show IMO B/A to best advantage personality-wise.

However, I tend to look at D/W's placement here much like V/M's placement two years ago. It was their breakout season and next year the judges will have it firmly established in their minds that D/W are top flight contenders, rather than second tier. Two years ago I thought V/M's FD to Valse Triste was the class of the field, but it was their first senior worlds and there was no way they were going to be near a medal. This is still ice dance, after all, even if the climb up the ladder doesn't take quite as long as it did in the past. The next season they moved up. I believe it will be the same for D/W.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Meryl and Charlie should have been on that podium with Tanith & Ben, and Tessa & Scott. That's all I've got to say. :cry:

I totally agree that Davis & White should have been on the podium, but with Domnina & Shabalin and Virtue & Moir, not Belbin & Agosto.