Dance - Free | Page 24 | Golden Skate

Dance - Free

i love to skate

Medalist
Ice Dance is OVER-THE-TOP, subtlety rarely works. I was hoping this season Shpilband could package them properly but I am not seeing much of effort in that front.

I don't agree that Ice Dance is always over the top and subtlety doesn't work. Virtue and Moir's Free Dances from 06/07 and 07/08 were wonderfully soft, subtle, mesmerizing pieces and they managed to win the Free Dance last year at Worlds. So I think subtelty does work quite well.

oxade21

Match Penalty
I don't agree that Ice Dance is always over the top and subtlety doesn't work. Virtue and Moir's Free Dances from 06/07 and 07/08 were wonderfully soft, subtle, mesmerizing pieces and they managed to win the Free Dance last year at Worlds. So I think subtelty does work quite well.

I am not talking about the program but the "whole package". And I also said "rarely". V/M one of those teams that could pull it off. But the others still have to fail for them to win with their subtlety. They can keep doing but its not the winning strategy. For example, I prefer the early Dom/Shabs when they did not have all that gloss and also had sweet and subtle programs.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm an American, and I was cheering for Tanith and Ben. I personally would put them in first, but I'm a fan. It has very little if at all to do with my being American - other than the fact that I've seen this team since they started skating at the senior level on TV (because on American TV we see a lot of American skaters...). I've been 'invested' in their skating from that point on. I wanted to see them win here.

I don't like their new look because they've lost them. It's not so much that they're skating in a more 'European/Russian style' it's just different and I hate change. I liked the change on Gregory & Petukhov. I thought their Adam and Eve number (or Fallen Angels, whatever you prefer) was the best they'd ever done. With Tanith and Ben while little things might be better their program didn't do it for me.

I'm not screaming wuzrobbed because I think all of the top teams were close... though Davis and White brought the house down...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
there wouldn't have been a tie, they would have used the PCS mark to break the tie.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If VM and DW tied, what would have happened?
2 bronze medals?

Wouldn't the best FD score had broken a tie?, as that holds the highest percentage in the ice dance event; therefore, Meryl and Charlie would have been the bronze medalists instead of Tessa and Scott.

I know when Evan beat out Johnny at 2008 Nationals, it was because Lysacek had the higher LP score even though their total scores (SP & LP combined) were tied.

Last edited:

oxade21

Match Penalty
Wouldn't the best FD score had broken a tie?, as that holds the highest percentage in the ice dance event; therefore, Meryl and Charlie would have been the bronze medalists instead of Tessa and Scott.

I know when Evan beat out Johnny at 2008 Nationals, it was because Lysacek had the higher LP score even though their total scores (SP & LP combined) were tied.

I believe FD score is the tiebreaker.

Kinga

Medalist
:laugh: Yeah ))) Seems like no matter how many quards you did (I'm about Joubert who is my favorite skater after Yagudin and Plushenko) or how hard you work, if you're not american you're don't desereve the title

Yeah, like Joubert did zillion quads in LP to win and did not have a face plant on 2A.

I don't want to speak for other people who post on this board, but I don't think this is a case of fans pushing for the American teams to win just because they're American teams; I think it is more likely a case of fans wishing for the Russian team NOT to win solely on the basis of their being Russian.

I went through the whole FD thread, and what I actually see is that many many posters agree with D/S winning, and many of them are Americans. American or not, I still believe that many people here are able to say they honest opinion about performances. I believe that those who think that D/S should not have win, only express their opinion not the prejudice.
I am not an American, and I have nothing to do with America, but I think D/S should not have won. Again, I loved their waltz FD last year when they won Europeans and when basically everyone else hated that program. I don't care where D/S come from.

Audrey19

On the Ice
Allright, I have to get that off my chest:
D&S winning was nothing but politics. That should have been an all north-american podium. Period. And I agree with Tinymavy that both Tanith and Ben and Meryl and Charlie were totally robbed. But I don't say that because of national bias(as you can see I'm German), but because these two were so much better than the rest. Tanith and Ben are the true world champions, and I'm sure they know that, but they don't have the gold medal and cannot call themselves world champions while D&S can. That title was not deserved.

I agree that they have improved and had the best skate of their career so far, but still it wasn't enough to win this competition. It wasn't enough to medal either. Apparently the judges had decided to make them win this before the CD. I can't see why and I don't want to say that they only won because they are Russian, but after all that's what it looks like. No way their CD was better than V&M, B&A or D&W. No way their OD was better than D&W. And no way their FD was better than any of these three. Maybe technically better than B&A, but not presentation-wise.
Eventually I would also place them behind P&B in the FD. Those two were really convincing in the FD, as well as Tanith and Ben, they wonderfully interpreted the music and almost made me cry. Actually after their FD I was so sure they were going to win this that I did cry of joy, but then came D&S and the judges showed that they were going back to the pre-cop judging methods. It's such a shame. the judging was getting better and better, and I sincerely hope that's it's going to improve for the olympic season.
Anyway, go Tanith and Ben, and don't give up! You were amazing! :bow:

oxade21

Match Penalty
I am reading post-Worlds Russian papers and it is not a happy consensus even in Russia about D/S win. The federation is split about which team must have been supported. Bestimianova went publicly criticizing Russian Federation for dumping K/N. Tchaykovskaya and Zhulin also believe that it's not over yet and Vancouver is going to be all-out war for the gold with Canadians. Pretty much they are saying it is either V/M or one of the two Russian teams in Vancouver.

It's not worth the effort to discuss the Skate Dance results at 2009 Worlds. It was clear after the Compulsory Dance was scored, who would win the medals.

There is no way to judge Skate Dance except for a few skating errors. The contest is about preferences of those without errors, which include most top teams.

Skate Dance is not figure skating.

dancemaster

On the Ice
I am reading post-Worlds Russian papers and it is not a happy consensus even in Russia about D/S win. The federation is split about which team must have been supported. Bestimianova went publicly criticizing Russian Federation for dumping K/N. Tchaykovskaya and Zhulin also believe that it's not over yet and Vancouver is going to be all-out war for the gold with Canadians. Pretty much they are saying it is either V/M or one of the two Russian teams in Vancouver.
The Federation didn't dump K/N
K/N dumped themselves with a bad CD .
come on they were lucky to win euros, because the true champions could not take part.:biggrin:
have you a link to any of this articles.

dancemaster

On the Ice
I am sure. I generally prefer the other teams over D&S, but had they skated the best compulsory, I wouldn't have objected. But the others were better, so their placement wasn't justified.
interesting who was better and why???

Audrey19

On the Ice
interesting who was better and why???

Virtue & moir clearly had the best compulsory of the day, they were fast and skated with a lot of spring, very deep edges(especially from Scott) and excellent expression, plus a huge pattern.
Both Belbin & Agosto and Davis & White totally hit the theme, their pattern was bigger as well and there was more passion and a better expression in their performances. They also skated faster.
Some of that might be subjective, but did you hear the reaction of the audience to Domnina & Sabalin's score? There wasn't much applause, especially compared to the other three. I'm definitely not alone here.