Dancing With the Stars | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Dancing With the Stars

Purplecat - Two spanish numbers? I don't think so. Tango and Fox Trot, maybe or Paso Doble and Texas Two Step.

Dee - The bios were ok. I still think Johnathan is the best and his real partner is Russian, I believe. Rachel is a bit stiff. I think Charlotte got the best competitor in John. I think they will win.

The message board was hysterical.

Joe

Last edited:

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I couldn't believe it when they were rehearsing and Trista had to bring her husband to practice to say if it was OK to do the dance.
I couldn't believe that either. She's a grown women why would she need her husbands approval?!!! I'm glad she got voted off.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
The way it came across to me was, how refreshing, someone with morals, don't see that often any more. If it were my choice, I wouldn't even have let Evander finish, he was so bad. :rofl:

Last edited:

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Joesitz said:
Purplecat - Two spanish numbers? I don't think so. Tango and Fox Trot, maybe or Paso Doble and Texas Two Step.

Joe

That's true. For the Latin there's Paso Doble, Samba and Jive left. I just thought Samba might be too similar to the Cha Cha and thought Jive might be left for the end. And for the Standard dances there's the Foxtrot, Tango and Viennese Waltz. We already had the Waltz, so I was thinking Tango. Maybe you're right and they'll go with Foxtrot . I was surprised they did Quickstep this week since it seems to be one of the harder dances. Of course I don't know if they'll go with just the usual ten dances. They could go into other genres (mambo, bolero...etc.?). I'm no expert in ballroom dance, just enjoy watching it whenever I catch it which isn't that often so this is a treat.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't get real involved in reality shows except for Survivor, Big Brother and now this one. I think this is a real treat. I can't wait for next week. Thanks again, Joe for bringing it to our attention.

Dee

Does anyone' besides me, see the resemblance between Jonathan and Tom Cruise?

I was glad they won tonight. It was a good tango Rachel finally came through. But they do badly on the phone-ins. we'll see.

Evander's gone but he was such a gentleman throughout.

Joey - I'm just not a fan. I guess his old fans call in.

John - not surprising. he's had work in musical comedy and he has the best partner.

Kelley is overated.

Joe

heyang

Record Breaker
Well - I understand how the phone-in's work now. It is definitely a popularity contest. Kelly Monaco is on GH and soap fans are notoriously supportive of their favorite cast members.

When I saw that John was doing tango, I knew that he would do well since it's mostly about carriage and drama, which he has the most of all the celebrities. Also, his partner is excellent and makes his job of highlighting her easy.

Generally, I agreed with the judges comments overall this week. They were probably more harsh than I would have been.

Music selection definitely helps, too. I found myself bopping to the jive tunes.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I didn't really care for the jive dance but loved the tango. Poor John, he always looks like he needs oxygen after the dance. :laugh: :laugh: Both teams did great with the tango, sexy and sultry.

Even though Evander said the jive was his dance, he looked like everyone else who would attempt to do it. I don't know if he realized he had to be a step above everyone (the public) else to stay in the competition.

Dee

JOHIO2

Medalist
I doubt that Evander ever had any delusions of himself as a ballroom dancer. But it was kinda nice to see him try. Points out to those who claim skating and dancing are not sports that they should reconsider. Both are not only athletic but also require the ability to learn and use the techniques. Sounds like a sport to me, since there are standards to use for judging. (Okay, I'm sure that judging will still be an issue. But that should never stop us from watching and enjoying and rooting for our favorites.)

sk8m8

Final Flight
The International Ballroom community has been lobbying for competitive International Standard Dance be entered into the Olympics as a sport. My prediction is that it could be the "figure skating" of the Summer Games if it were introduced in the next cycle as a "trial sport" (like tennis was in the LA games)

It, indeed, uses RIGOROUS standards in positon, body flight, posture,carriage, adhearance to the squillion rules in BR Dancing. A Ballroom Dancer showed me the manual and it is harder than Chinese Calculus. It puts the FS CoP to shame. There is a rule about elbow positions for every dance and figure!!!

As for whether the dancers are athletes, just look at their bodies. The musculature and hand to eye coordination required to do these dances is tremendous. I think the whole idea of the Olympic spirit is to be inclusive to whatever include whatever activities that includes skill, physicality, and high levels of measurable standards. Let's hope our next "Olympic Experiences include the " The thrill of victory and the agony of de'feet!" :unsure:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I liked the young couple (Jonathan and Rachel) that did the tango - (not John and Charlotte). Jonathan is an excellent dancer and really commanded the dance floor. His posture was perfect. Although John did have the standard stance of a tango dancer, he is too stiff and his feet sometimes get in his way.

The last couple that performed the Jive - Joey and Ashley did the most authentic Jive. I thought they looked great. They really sold the dance. One can tell that Joey has a musical background.

Dancing is not easy. Ballroom dancing is very athletic and challenging. One has to really be in good shape.

I am enjoying this program. It's a refreshing change.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
FINALLY got around to seeing this; kept meaning to but also kept forgetting it was on. The main reason I wanted to watch was I was hoping to get more of a knowlege of the basic ballroom dances so as to enhance my understanding of the compulsuries used in Ice Dance, and that I have gotten already, especially in the Quickstep.

What is bothering me about the show, however, is the use of inappropriate music for some of the dances. I'm sorry, but I do not feel the rhumba lends itself to being done to a really bad version of "Endless Love" (which to me is redundant since I hate that song anyway), and with inappropriate music it's hard to get a feel for what the dances are actually supposed to look like. Some of the dances that have been performed remind me of skating programs that seem to have been choreographed before the music was selected.

As to the competitiors:

I think Rachel is over-rated and Kelly is under-rated. I feel that they're basically on the same level, but they rave and rave about Rachel and complain constantly about Kelly. Evander was just horrible, but I do cut him slack based on the fact that he's quite a large guy and his center of gravity is just too high to perform certain types of dances especially well. Plus carrying around that extra weight didn't exactly help either. Joey and John are definitely the best of the bunch; both seem to be quite adept at footwork and show a lot of expression (tho some of John's facial expressions, while amusing, are a bit MUCH.). I'm not surprised about John -- he's always given me the impression of being the type of urbane guy who would have a natural affinity for this type of thing.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
JonnyCoop said:
What is bothering me about the show, however, is the use of inappropriate music for some of the dances. I'm sorry, but I do not feel the rhumba lends itself to being done to a really bad version of "Endless Love" (which to me is redundant since I hate that song anyway), and with inappropriate music it's hard to get a feel for what the dances are actually supposed to look like.
JonnyCoop, thanks for bringing that up, I thought the same thing about the music. Any other opinions about the music?

Dee

I think some poster brought up the possibility that the networks use the more familiar American music to attract the audience and ratings. Maybe.

Joe

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
I was talking to my grandmother the other day about this show (she is an avid ballroom dancing fan) and she told me that my cousin's coaches are in the competition! They are Alec and Edyta. Alec has a brother who is also a ballroom dancer, and their mom is the founder/owner of the dance studio in SF where they started and teach now. Now I will definitely watch the show.

Yana

CDMM1991

Medalist
STL_Blues_fan said:
I was talking to my grandmother the other day about this show (she is an avid ballroom dancing fan) and she told me that my cousin's coaches are in the competition! They are Alec and Edyta. Alec has a brother who is also a ballroom dancer, and their mom is the founder/owner of the dance studio in SF where they started and teach now. Now I will definitely watch the show.

Yana

Edyta and her partner got eliminated, but you will still be able to watch Alec!

CDMM1991

Medalist
No idea about what the dances will be but as for who will get eliminated. One can only predict. What's strange is that the scores are a combination of two different performances. The judges are scoring on their performances that night, but the public voted on their performances from the week before. Didn't they? Do you think makes a difference? I do. I think that they should do the elimination before they do the dance each week and use the judges scores from the week before. Of course that would mean that one couple would have to learn a dance that they would never compete with, but they could use it as their "last dance" or something like that.

Hmmm now back to the topic of who will get eliminated ... My predictions:

Who should get eliminated --> Kelly
Who will get eliminated --> Rachel

Joe, what are your predictions? And what do you think the dances will be?

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here are my predictions:

Who should -- Kelly :yes: :clap:
Who will -- John :love:

Just hunches. I hope that John will be able to stay in the comps for a while. Kelly has a large fan base and I think that is what is keeping her in the competition.

I wonder what the dances will be. :scratch:

Dee