Daniel Grassl back in Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Dear friends,
after the great experience I had in the USA and in Russia, I decided in August, to come back to Italy to continue my preparation and my training for the next seasons.

I will train in Torino at the Pala Tazzoli with Edoardo De Bernardis. The experience I had in America and in Russia was very helpful. Special thanks to Eteri Tuberidze for the professional support and teaching.

Amei

Record Breaker
Article

I feel like this is the norm, someone announced something then 1-2 days later we get the real reason. Daniel didn't update his location with anti-doping officials from Italy to Russia and missed 3 tests.

based on what I remember of the rules.. a missed test is an anti-doping violation. Daniel could or should be looking at a suspension here. Depending on the length he may have screwed up his eligibility for Milan

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Russian media are reporting now that Grassl failed to notify the anti doping agency of his stay in Moscow and as a result failed to take three doping tests. This could potentially result in a 12 months ban and might be an explanation for his sudden return to Italy. :palmf:

JimR

On the Ice
Seriously? Not what coach or skater needs right now. It's not like he hid it from anyone being in Russia after one missed test surely he was notified and the paperwork corrected?

icewhite

Record Breaker
Russian media are reporting now that Grassl failed to notify the anti doping agency of his stay in Moscow and as a result failed to take three doping tests. This could potentially result in a 12 months ban and might be an explanation for his sudden return to Italy. :palmf:

I can hardly believe that he simply forgot to notify them. I'd say either this story is nonsense or there's something more behind it.

Amei

Record Breaker
Seriously? Not what coach or skater needs right now. It's not like he hid it from anyone being in Russia after one missed test surely he was notified and the paperwork corrected?

Theoretically he would be notified after the first missed test. Even though he announced his move to train in Russia he has to change his location with the antidoping controls.

Hasn't he trained for the most part in Italy under Italian coaches? I know he trained like a half- season in Boston. I wonder if this is a case of a young adult being used to someone else managing this, but then moving to a foreign coach and different country and not paying attention to his obligations as an athlete.

Amei

Record Breaker
OMG :( I so hope this isn´t true!!!

Would Daniel really announce that he is back training in Italy if he knew he was facing suspension? I find it hard to believe, unless he hasn´t understand the serious situation.

The decisions he's made in the last year give me the impression he doesn't really think a lot of things through. But why would he publicly announce this out?

macy

Record Breaker
"Three whereabouts Failures (any combination of a Filing Failure and a Missed Test) occurring within a 12-month period will lead to an Anti-Doping Rule Violation and a potential two-year ban from sport. It is important to note that under the Principle of Strict Liability, the Skater remains responsible for the information submitted, even if they have delegated this task to a member of their support team."

This is just straight negligence on his part.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Article

I feel like this is the norm, someone announced something then 1-2 days later we get the real reason. Daniel didn't update his location with anti-doping officials from Italy to Russia and missed 3 tests.

based on what I remember of the rules.. a missed test is an anti-doping violation. Daniel could or should be looking at a suspension here. Depending on the length he may have screwed up his eligibility for Milan
:palmf:

It seems to be true :( But he will get a chance to explain?

But it´s not looking good...

i have nothing to say...i just want to curl up in a corner and cry..

JimR

On the Ice
This is so wild. When has this happened before? The whole skating world knew he was training in Russia, surely after one whereabouts failure there is an emergency contact and WADA is at least notified as to not waste their time going to the same Italian address another two times.

It's RUSADA who take these tests on behalf of WADA. I'm guessing there's some kind of issue here where RUSADA weren't authorised to take the tests or the WADA officials couldn't make it to Russia to conduct it.

Caliban

On the Ice
It's RUSADA who take these tests on behalf of WADA. I'm guessing there's some kind of issue here where RUSADA weren't authorised to take the tests or the WADA officials couldn't make it to Russia to conduct it.

But how? There are thousands of test conducted by RUSADA this year without problems, so it clearly not RUSADA fault.

Director General of RUSADA Veronika Loginova said that the agency took 5082 doping samples from athletes from January to June 2023.

"RUSADA tests athletes of all levels, ages and regardless of the region. At the end of June 2023, 5082 samples were selected, testing was carried out in 20 countries of the world and 77 regions of the Russian Federation," TASS quotes Loginova as saying.

Of the 5082 samples, 1973 were taken during the competition, 3109 belong to out-of-competition testing.

Amei

Record Breaker
This is so wild. When has this happened before? The whole skating world knew he was training in Russia, surely after one whereabouts failure there is an emergency contact and WADA is at least notified as to not waste their time going to the same Italian address another two times.

1. Doping tests/rules aren't really part of skating. It's a separate entity and the ISU follows them. So I don't think there is blame to be laid at someone's feet from WADA to know where he and every other athlete is training. The athlete is supposed to keep that information up to date.
2. Not sure its fair to expect a test collector (it might not have been the same person each time) or WADA to have close monitoring of the 100s if not 1000s of athletes and tests the administer to intuitively look at every athlete and assess if the athlete doesn't do their job. Failing to appear for a doping test is considered a violation because that is 1 of the ways athletes have tried to evade detection. So would a missed test really raise an alarm bell that someone moved when they didn't update their location.

At the end of the day Daniel has really screwed up this up and might've ruined his career (a suspension could be long enough to keep him out of Milan), its his job to keep his location up to date with the anti-doping officials and based on what we have at this point he didn't do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.