Davis/White future | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Davis/White future

hitchem

Rinkside
I think they will continue till at least 2016. One thing I've noticed this season, especially GPF and Olympics, is they don't look like they enjoy skating anymore. I mean, they've been doing the same twizzles over and over and over for several years and their performance doesn't have that joy or "IT" factor that other skaters just ooze. D/W don't have the most natural talent to begin with, so kudos for their hard work in making it work. But their marks though, :rolleye:.

Hmm any chance you're projecting because you don't enjoy seeing them beat your favorites?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Matt K, since you find D&W to be so distasteful, you might find reading and posting in the Skaters Not My Cup of Tea thread more congenial than raining on the parade of people who enjoyed their programs and/or really want to know what they are doing next. It can't be fun to get a response like: this is your 121th anti d&w post. We know. You dislike them

Procrastinator

On the Ice
I would love for them to be on dancing with the stars. Meryl especially would dominate. She just has those lines already with her arms. Sadly, they stated in an interview on youtube for some local news affiliate that they "aren't allowed to do the show," which is strange considering that they let dancers on all the time. I guess in this case it would just be too obvious that they have an advantage, especially as they've already worked with Derek. If Meryl and Derek were paired together they literally just would be unbeatable.

noskates

Record Breaker
On the Today show this morning, Davis/White were asked about their future, and they avoided giving a meaningful answer. Totally understandable that they did, and they delivered the non-answer with good humor, but they obviously wanted to say nothing.

You mean the University of Michigan. :) Big diff for those who care. ;)

Yikes - that was a BAD mistake. My apologies.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think they will continue till at least 2016. One thing I've noticed this season, especially GPF and Olympics, is they don't look like they enjoy skating anymore. I mean, they've been doing the same twizzles over and over and over for several years and their performance doesn't have that joy or "IT" factor that other skaters just ooze. D/W don't have the most natural talent to begin with, so kudos for their hard work in making it work. But their marks though, :rolleye:

I'm really afraid where ice dance is headed. Some ice dancers are picking up on D/W's bad tendencies already, in skating and choreography (like Coomes/Buckland. Sorry fans, their SD is horrid.).

Something about D/W's SD is totally off. Aside from their mechanical arms, and the criticism from Petri Kokko about how their timing and character was off in the Finnstep, there was something so old about it. I/K were flirty and young, V/M were sultry and sophisticated, P/B were sexy and mature, and D/W was just an old divorced couple out there.

Doesn't matter. D and W have oly gold. They are american so they will be more marketable than V and M anyways. I still think they are perfect disney skaters. She's the princes and he is the loveable prince - even their looks - though I do wish Charlie cut his hair. so many male skaters seem to rely on their hair - Peizerot and even Trankov though i am not sure what he was trying to do with his locks, Rippon like that Keri russel actress lost his skating skills or was that Samson lol. I agree about D and W - they imho were and are not that special. In fact, I can still see how v and m could win Sochi but fix or no fix, bias or no bias d and w have gold and a rewarding future and they don't have to think of others ie letting them have a chance. We are in a dog eat dog eat world. So D and W can do what they want as to going to world's it is about in life what is best for them, me generation. And they have earned that right too but Hanyu, D and W should be very grateful for their gold.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
That is what I'm hoping for 2.

I know ubers love them but it is time for them to say farewell. they are amazing champions. They have ogm. they are great technicains but maybe the reason why I say they are amaing Disney type skaters and I criticize or analyze their skating as being perfunctory nice, good technical skating but really they use the same kind of music and programs - oh sure could be different ethnic or whatever but it is the same. Nice princessy smile but it seems a little superficial, a little put on. And it seems like they have the same program - as good as kwan was she kind of had new music but really same program and style unlike V and M who kept on pushing the envelope. I am not trying to cause a war but maybe some can see this. As a result I hope they move on and let someone else lead the Us and skating world and innovate.

ks777

Record Breaker
Dancing with the stars would be great :popcorn:
That won't happen. they are dancers... wouldn't be fair. I am thinking The DWTS will try to get TJ Oshie (hockey player)and Richard Sherman(seattle seahawks).

I would like to see Davis and White to train for an exhibition dance on Dancing with the Stars. In connection with the dance, footage of their skating could be shown. It would make more fans of the show aware of ice dancing. Virtue and Moir would be equally impressive doing such a segment.

travelbug

Rinkside
I think they're going to go to Worlds, win, and retire. What's the point in staying if you've won multiple world championships/ OSM/ OGM? What else is there to win? They got nearly 10s on all of their components and level 4s with +2s and +3s on all their dance elements. It's hard to see them getting any better than they are now.

Isn't that essentially saying Michael Phelps shouldn't have come back after he took the swim world by storm? Or that Missy Franklin shouldn't?

Whereas obviously speed isn't the issue in skating, so that can't be pushed (well, I mean as in it's not a race) isn't there always room for more innovation, new techniques or lifts or such? Or room for even more precision or greater interpretation of the music?

Part of what's been so great is that there were top teams pushing one another and having something to strive for, in turn impacting the ice dancing world.

If Charlie and Meryl stick around (maybe scaling back for a year to rest some and finish school, though not giving up skating entirely - truly just dialing it back some) ice dancing will continue to grow because there will be some pair that will fill in that gap of V/M's retirement.

While that close back and forth they had with V/M, pushing another team and being pushed in return would take awhile for D/W to not still be too far ahead, some team will end up stepping up and move into that role. Charlie and Meryl are too determined, have a drive to compete and give their all ever time, and of course they clearly love the sport and want to push things a bit, and I think that's where ice dance would be far better off with them staying - obviously that's just my opinion.

And, for the US, it'd certainly be a very good thing. It's hard (for me) to imagine the Shibs or (holy cow just spaced on their names! LOL) really being a true threat even in four years (especially not for gold and without a ton of work!) without them having some pushing more directed at them now (if that makes sense?) I guess I'm trying to say that the other two US teams would end up being focused on more just because it wouldn't be what has come across as a (very deserving, in my opinion) battle solely between V/M and D/W for the top spots, and then the Russians and another one person trying to battle out for the bronze.

Maybe I'm writing this too late at night and need to rethink my words before I say more!