Define Lambiel’s coaching style | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Define Lambiel’s coaching style

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not all of his students are as calm (and chaotic) as Shoma, who saw Stephane nervous and was like, "I'm sorry that you're nervous since I want you to have a good time as a coach but I also have to adjust my blades after the 6 min warmup and before I skate my FS that will determine my qualification to GPF!"
I don't recall him saying this in the mixed zone or press conference? Everything was translated. I don't know who the person is that tweeted this or why and how this was translated or what it's supposed to mean. Maybe I am missing something?

rabidline

Final Flight
I don't recall him saying this in the mixed zone or press conference? Everything was translated. I don't know who the person is that tweeted this or why and how this was translated or what it's supposed to mean. Maybe I am missing something?
Ahahaha it's just my own joke, and the tweet was also joking (but the K&C interaction was real). The joke came from what Shoma said after winning the competition, the interview before medal ceremony, where he said Stephane was nervous after the SP, and then not nervous, and then nervous again after Shoma's 6 min warmups before the FS which was so bad.

The point of my joke was while coaches being nervous can impact their skaters' composure, Shoma is already so experienced that he was able to: (1) see Stephane is nervous because of him and feel bad about it; (2) fix the blades position on his boots that was hindering him to jump; (3) composed himself well in the FS with the GPF ticket at stake and to win a home GP after Kaori, a fellow world champion and defending NHK champion came second. While skaters with less competitive experience than him may be affected when they see their coach nervous and tense.

Sources:

yesterday

Record Breaker
There is much more in this, but parts of it really contributes to this thread I believe.
Their relationship/coaching seems based on the fact that Shoma (and equally all of his students I'd say) has the last word and not the staff or the coach. As it should be.

yesterday

Record Breaker
New food ✨
it also includes shows, judging etc.

The parts that fit here the most are of course views on coaching and his main students, so here we go

Coaching:
And I really enjoy the coaching process, I love to teach, to find solutions for each student. And each student also has his own way even though I give them more or less the same advice. But like today, the practice with Koshiro and the practice with Deniss (for SP practice they were in different groups -ed.) - I felt like I was in two different worlds! Coaching them brought me to two different environments and the atmosphere - I don't know whether it's because their groups were very different - but I focus on Koshiro and I go somewhere and then I focus on Deniss and I go somewhere else, completely far away from where I was. I like that, that's the beauty of coaching, because they are human beings with their struggles, their power, their aspirations...

Koshiro:
The good thing for Koshiro is that he had a very nice attitude in the free skate at Skate America. I really loved his spirit in the program, he was very generous, very elegant and at the same time very active, with two beautiful triple Axels. I really liked his performance. It's too bad that in the short program it was not as good since he missed all three jumps. I like that he took the risk [of doing two quads], I think it's good at his level that he goes through that because he can do it. But, of course, the bigger the risk is, the bigger the mistakes could be. Something to work on with him is really to have as much experience as possible within the little amount of competition that he has. But he's growing up so overall I feel he's overcoming the obstacles he faces. He is smart, he is calm, he doesn't freak out. He has a very nice personality, it feels like a privilege to work with someone like that, really.

Shoma:
[Working] with Shoma is also a big privilege, he is a monster. In a sense that he is able to do a big load of work, he's a very hard worker, with a strong mind, strong body. I really enjoyed going to Skate Canada with him and seeing him perform there. I also really enjoyed his performance at the Japan Open. I feel he's becoming more and more responsible; he knows more and more what he needs, what he wants.

And he is a leader now. I think he mentioned in interviews that before he felt Yuzuru was the one pushing and he was behind...

I don't feel that way, because every time I see Shoma he's pushing forward, he has always been the leader of himself, his power is moving forward with such speed. I like seeing where he is, where he stands, what he needs to work on, what he has at the moment. He's also in a place where he's making his way to have opinions on things. He's taking responsibility for doing what he wants to do. During the practices in Canada, he repeated multiple times the sequence of the beginning of the short program or the second sequence of the free skate. He was going and going and going until he really felt okay, and it was in his system. He has this kind of awareness that maybe he hasn't really paid attention to before. This consciousness comes later in the career, and I think that's where he is right now.

Everybody would agree that all this is happening thanks to you. You gave him this motivation, you definitely have a part in giving him back this will to skate, to improve.

I think, yes. And I think he has it in him, it comes from him. If this wasn't coming from himself, he wouldn't have been able to do it. Of course, we have a good connection since a very long time, even before we started working together as a coach and a student. The environment created within our relationship helps him to be himself, to develop his own opinions and wishes, but it really comes from internal motivation. Without that you won't do it. You can like someone very much, but you don't do it for someone, you do for yourself, right?

Deniss:
As for Deniss... Deniss is very unpredictable. In a sense that when you don't expect him, that's when he arises. What we are working on is really to step forward. Even though we were struggling with the two first competitions I feel he's stepping forward. Deniss is taking responsibility for what he wants to achieve, and it takes time, of course. Even if it hasn't been very successful for the two first competitions, that doesn't mean that he's not improving. When I see his behaviour, his training, I see that there are some parts where he needs to improve, to let go when sometimes he's very "greedy", or when he's thinking and overthinking. But at the same time, I also see that he's realising that, and realising is already a very good step. So, the pieces are coming together for him as well. It's the overall shape that I want to see going forward, more than the results right away.

I haven't seen both of you (Deniss and Stéphane, Ed.) for a year but the energy during the practices here felt different. He was more into himself, almost didn't talk to you...

I think he was very focused. He takes a lot of responsibility for what he wants, and I like that. For me the role of a coach is to make the skater as autonomous as possible. Of course, if something goes sideways, I'm there. But if he knows the way... I mean he has worked with me for many years, he knows what I'm going to say. For me it's important that he goes away from that to trust himself. That's what I see, and I think that's great. I'm very privileged to be there and to see that he's surpassing the things that I have given him.

source: http://absoluteskating.com/index.php?cat=interviews&id=2022lambiel

yesterday

Record Breaker
This here is not 100% Stéphane only, but it contributes to the overall picture and gives a bit of insight into "how do they manage the training at Champéry etc."

Part 1 of an interview with Angelo Dolfini, who coaches at Champéry and belongs to the "inner circle" (of power :biggrin: ).

(....)
The upper-level skaters are coached in English, but the Swiss students and the more developmental skaters are mostly French-speaking?

We basically speak two, three language every day. That's very tiring mentally. I mean, I love it because we have students from all over. We have a younger Ukrainian girl (Liubov Zholobova), and with her it's always hard to say if it's better speaking in English or in French. She's attending school here, so she's learning French, but it's still a work in progress. With her we try to speak both – and a little bit with the hands! Then basically English with Deniss and Koshiro, but sometimes we have some Italian skaters coming here, – we have a fairly regular collaboration with a club in Torino – and I speak Italian. Then there are some students that come from Ticino as well, who also speak Italian.

(....)
How do you divide up coaching between you and Stéphane, and now Ghislain Briand as well? How do you decide who does which lessons for which skaters?

It's Stéph deciding the lesson plan for the international skaters. I do it for the younger, developmental, and local skaters, and of course Ghislain is giving the line, technically speaking. When he comes here, we try to follow his lessons and his master classes so that we can then stick to the line. Stéph, of course, knows very well what Ghislain says because he also worked as a skater with Ghislain in the past.

It's not that we have a specific task all the time, but Stéphane decides that I need to work with some skaters, and I do that. Especially when they are not feeling so well physically, or maybe tired, we switch a little. Now that the season has started, we basically work on the programs, sometimes we take time to do a little bit of technique. When he was working on the choreography, I was working on the spins with the new rules for Deniss and Koshiro. Then if something needs to be changed, of course, it's Stéphane that takes the lead. For instance, we try to put the criteria to get the levels first, then we need to see if it fits to the music to get a higher GOE. That's more Stéphane's job, and he takes care of the choreography and of the general program. Then I do the same for the younger skaters.

Do you choreograph for them as well?

No, I don't do choreography. We have other coaches that come and do the choreography usually. (On the photo - Salome Brunner, Stéphane's choreographer who continues working with him and his students.) But let's say, I blend the training for them, as much as Stéph does for Deniss, Koshiro, and that group. We have basically divided the skaters, so Stéphane is responsible for the seniors, for the novice I'm responsible, the junior we share – but even some novices, Stéphane takes responsibility, because of course we have more novice and young skaters than international.

Because you come from a shared school of technique, that means you approach things similarly enough that you can work with the same skaters and be coordinated?

We try to follow a line and then of course, we speak a lot. Every coach has his own ideas, so if I find something that works, I try to share it with Stéphane or the other way around, or if I have some difficulties or some problem with a skater not rotating this jump, I'll ask for his opinion. We try to share ideas and we work this way particularly in the off season. Then during the season, as you see, there are a lot of travels and less time for sharing, but we are always in contact and try to always share what we do. When Stéphane is away, I try to update him on all the skaters' practices. If there's something off, I ask for some advice, and otherwise, I just tell him how things went.

When you are on the same rink it's easy, when you're not it's much harder. We have some students that are part time here and part time with other coaches, and it's much harder. I try to keep the connection [with their coaches]. Sometimes it works well. Sometimes it's challenging, but I think it's possible when we speak and share.

source: http://absoluteskating.com/index.php?cat=interviews&id=2022angelodolfini1

rabidline

Final Flight
The interview with Angelo is great. Coaching-wise the team at Champery seems to be trying their best to stay communicative with each other and provide both report and feedback on what goes on during training and competitions, which I think is a good thing. Although it was funny to know that's a bit of a challenge since they all speak many different languages 😆

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The interview with Angelo is great. Coaching-wise the team at Champery seems to be trying their best to stay communicative with each other and provide both report and feedback on what goes on during training and competitions, which I think is a good thing. Although it was funny to know that's a bit of a challenge since they all speak many different languages 😆
Deniss must come in handy, he speaks French, English, Latvian and Russian fluently.

yesterday

Record Breaker
Now we have a quote on a very sincere concern of this thread (🤪 ) and can maybe leave it behind.

if you machine translate the text here https://www.25ans.jp/lifestyle/skate/g42290837/shomauno-221220/?slide=2
it reads (keep in mind that "skaters" and similar terms always translate as "players"; pronouns can be off):
With Coach Lambiel, whom he trusts wholeheartedly

Coach Stéphane Lambiel supported Uno in every aspect of the competition and was more pleased than anyone else with his victory at the Grand Prix Final.

Coincidentally, the "Paravela" in Turin, where Uno won this year's Grand Prix Final, is the same rink where Coach Lambiel won the same competition (Grand Prix Final) in 2007. This is also the venue where Coach Lambiel won the silver medal at the 2006 Torino Olympics with his best performance, so it was a great joy for him to see Uno win her first Grand Prix there.

In the special feature in the February issue, we asked him to explain in detail the strengths of Uno's skating and performance, both as a coach and as a skater. Although he could not write about it in this magazine due to the word limit, Coach Lambiel's policy as an instructor is to "accept each athlete's individuality.

He said, "I believe that just because I am coaching does not mean that the players have to be my style, but that it is my job to help them develop their own style."

Uno says he is "very lucky" to have found such a wonderful, student-oriented coach, and he has sincere confidence in him as "someone who runs alongside me.

What would you like to ask Coach Lambiel? I asked Uno, "Well, I don't know. He answered, "Well, I don't know.

Ballet, Pilates, or yoga lessons! I'm not saying that these lessons are not good for skating, but when I do ballet, Pilates, or yoga, I get more tired than others. I think I would be better off if I used that time to skate more, but Stéphane always tells me "No! But Stéphane always says, "No! He knows I don't want to do it. He knows I don't like it, so he does it with a laugh on purpose.

This episode shows how close the two of them are.

it's also translated here:

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Sometimes pictures say more than words.

453zdgvsr18a1.jpg

yesterday

Record Breaker

rabidline

Final Flight
That photo of Stephane being lifted by not just Shoma and Koshiro, but each of their respective personal trainers, Demizu (for Shoma) and Ohtoshi (for Koshiro) really speaks a thousand words. Koshiro came to Champery when he was injured and Stephane has been very patient in letting him grow on his own pace, but making sure that he 100% believes in Koshiro. Other coaches probably would have given up, but Stephane doesn't treat Koshiro differently than other students (especially after Shoma joined in) just because he is comparatively less decorated than them.

Enjoy your Champagne, Mr. Lambiel, and Merry Christmas. You earned it.

yesterday

Record Breaker
Daddy lets them go :biggrin:

Solène: Several Japanese skaters, including Shoma Uno, train with you in Switzerland. How do you support them in this change of environment?

Stéphane
: It's a big personal change, and their commitment to this process is key. We can adapt to any environment when the commitment is there. It is important to stick to your decision. Some things are no longer possible, like having family dinners every Sunday for example. My athletes make this commitment when they decide to come to Switzerland. There are also quieter times when they can go home, and see family and friends. I'm not here to put them into military service! In Champéry, they learn about themselves and their skating, they develop their skills. They go as far as possible and one day they will tell me that they no longer need me (smile). They will pass on to others what they have learned. This is my mission as a coach: to give them tools, to have a great experience, and to walk a path together. Afterward, students must fly on their own. It's like being a parent!

➡️ https://www.skate-info-glace.com/sa...nats-d-europe-interview-stephane-lambiel-eng/

halulupu

Final Flight

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I watched this.

I think Stéphane is doing his job just tine, especially under the circumstances. I wish Deniss had more openness to listen to Stéphane. He usually does. Maybe he was too pissed off at his skate to be receptive this time. Stéphane noticed, and stayed calm despite his student's less than stellar performance. I am sure that they took the time to talk about this later on, when Deniss was calmer. The message remains the same : when you make a mistake, you need to be proactive about the rest of the program and remain focused (He used the words reactive and thinking, but it's the same thing)

Am I missing something ?

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
I watched this.

I think Stéphane is doing his job just tine, especially under the circumstances. I wish Deniss had more openness to listen to Stéphane. He usually does. Maybe he was too pissed off at his skate to be receptive this time. Stéphane noticed, and stayed calm despite his student's less than stellar performance. I am sure that they took the time to talk about this later on, when Deniss was calmer. The message remains the same : when you make a mistake, you need to be proactive about the rest of the program and remain focused (He used the words reactive and thinking, but it's the same thing)

Am I missing something ?
I agree, this seems like a perfectly normal kiss and cry after a rough skate. Obviously emotions were still running high, but nothing said here suggests anything more sinister than exactly what it appears to be— mutual frustration after a poor performance.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
“Why didn’t you do the combo?” Wow! It is like I was hearing my own voice and thoughts about performances like this.

“If you fall on the first axel, unable to do the combo, it makes sense to add on the combo to the next axel if landed..” makes sense to me Stephane…… I would have responded differently to Deniss. I think tough love is needed. The way Deniss responded shows lack of mental toughness and I think that is what agitates coaches like Stephane and certainly agitates fans like me…

You tell him Stephane! I agree with him. Not adding jumps and not having a plan B is a sign of an athlete that doesn’t fight. So many others need to hear this… not just Deniss

Edit: I just saw the results, as I missed this event. Had Deniss done the combo, he would have won the gold medal, as he missed the gold medal by two points. This only makes me support Stephane more.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.