Disaster for Johnny Weir | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Disaster for Johnny Weir

soogar

Record Breaker
euterpe said:
I just do not understand why anyone would obsess to such an extent about a skater's supposed failings.

I think Weir reads these boards and a lot of what the Frog says is hurtful.

You're the one with the dissertation on Dr. Frog's posts. As for speculation, that's the whole purpose of a board.

As for Weir's feelings, he has to take the good with the bad. There are enough posters who swoon over Johnny's skating. If he is hurt by less than glowing posts, then he needs to stop reading the boards. But no one appointed you as his protector.

soogar

Record Breaker
chuckm said:
If you're not saying Weir is having a "spectacular failure" of a season (which, btw, has barely begun) to judge him, then why ARE you saying it?

I just want to add (since I can't edit my posts) that my wording was based on YOUR assessment of Bowman's and Sandhu's letdowns.

I'm also going to add (in general, not to you specifically) that if Johnny can't take the little heat he gets on the msg boards, there's no way he can even fathom the kind of heat that Eman takes on a regular basis from the Canadian press, the msg boards and possibly the Canadian fed. Eman has a lot of guts and determination to continue competing under that kind of national scrutiny that Johnny has been spared since the US press doesn't really care about men's skating.

BronzeisGolden said:
Oh, how I wish there was a barfing smiley! I would certainly use it to explain how over these types of arguments I am! Is it that difficult to have rational debate AND respect someone at the same time? :mad:.....OVER IT!
and being a MOD and having to read all this drivel is not exactly a tasty treat.
So much of it is by now water under the bridge but I guess they are troubled waters.

Joe

mmscfdcsu

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
and being a MOD and having to read all this drivel is not exactly a tasty treat.
So much of it is by now water under the bridge but I guess they are troubled waters.

Joe

It's interesting that most of the people who actually know Johnny, seem to think he is a great guy. He certainly generates strong feelings in people. Who knows what is going to happen this season. I hope Johnny gets/stays healthy and skates his *** off. But then I have this silly habit of wanting all of the skaters to do their best. No matter what, he is an interesting young man. Not afraid to say what he thinks. Sometimes we expect too much. Sorry all of you young folks, but Johnny is a kid, a baby. He is only 21 years old. When I think of some of the things I said at that age, some of the music that I liked, hairstyles and clothes that I wore :rofl: :rofl: .......................yikes. Johnny is miles ahead of where I was at that age. Time will tell. Whether the season is a winning one for him or not, I support him, because I enjoy his skating and his openness. GO JOHNNY!

Suzy

On the Ice
I was watching Johnny's Kiss & Cry ordeal and my husband turned to me in disbelief and said, "Is this the guy you like?" and started to laugh. Ahh, yes.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Suzy said:
I was watching Johnny's Kiss & Cry ordeal and my husband turned to me in disbelief and said, "Is this the guy you like?" and started to laugh. Ahh, yes.
I hope you whacked him a good one!! :laugh: :laugh: Our US men are so macho??!! I loved my fathers attitude--he would cry openly and I have always thought that was being very strong.

My respect level went up for Johnny who was able to weep openly.

Dee

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
euterpe said:
Skaters just don't retire and hook up with SOI. SOI pretty much signs skaters with major titles, or at the very least, World medals. Weiss has made "guest" appearances because he has two World bronze medals in addition to his US championships. There are the occasional non-champs like Steven Cousins, but AFAIK, he's the only recent cast member without a title or a World medal.
The SOI tour coincides with the figure skating season and lasts from late November into March, which is why no eligible skaters are permanent cast members.

Jennifer Robinson is in the show this year

and in Canada, Josee Chouinard was a headliner for several years...

they also had Hough & Ladret back in the mid 90s but they might have medaled at worlds once, can't remember :scratch:

Last edited:

WeirsAngel

Rinkside
dr.frog said:
Noting that a skater has appeared to suffer from competition nerves is "character assasination"? Get a life! You're reading far too much into this discussion. FWIW, I've had problems in the past with being nervous and even sick to the stomach when I have to give presentations in front of an audience, but I hardly consider that a grievous character flaw of my own. It's just something I've had to work on over the years to feel comfortable doing.

Well...I think that there's a huge difference from compeating in a normal competition and compeating at US nationals or Worlds. I don't think that it's about nerves in this case. I agree with euterpe because I do think that som of the things dr frog has written is hurtful and you're talking about competitions five years ago. You know how much a person can change in five years?
Nobody can skate perfect in every competition, realize that. Johnny didn't have a very good start of the season, but he'll come back and skate his *** off.

Sissi

S

SkateFan4Life

Well, whatever I may happen to think about Johnny Weir's interviews - his attitude, etc. - I sincerely hope he is not seriously injured. Like the guy or not, he is a truly wonderful figure skater - strong, artistic, elegant - something that you don't see all that much of in today's men's figure skating.

However, I would recommend that the USFSA have a serious discussion with him about his on-camera remarks. It always irritates me to hear skaters say that they "are skating only for themselves". This is horse manure of the first order, in plain English. When any skater is introduced at any Grand Prix event, the Worlds, Olympics, etc., he, she, and/or they are introduced by their name and the COUNTRY they represent. Like it or not, Johnny Weir is representing the United States when he competes, and as National Champion, he should conduct himself with some class, dignity, and good sportsmanship.

About representing his country, Johnny is one of the few U.S. skaters (maybe the only one) who is equally popular outside the U.S. as he is at home. So I think he is doing OK in his "ambassador's" role.

MM :)

mmscfdcsu

On the Ice
Mathman said:
About representing his country, Johnny is one of the few U.S. skaters (maybe the only one) who is equally popular outside the U.S. as he is at home. So I think he is doing OK in his "ambassador's" role.

Exactly. He is just way more honest than most. They are all out for themselves, as the majority of us are in our chosen professions. Johnny looked great on the Today show yesterday. I like his hair so much better this year. If you read the reviews on his message board, yoou will see another reason he is so loved and respected by his fans. He always takes the time to talk and connect with them. He seems arogant to those that choose to see him that way. Meet him in person and you get a very different impression.

I don't get the feeling that skaters, including Johnny, are all that patriotic unless they see their flag on the rise.

Joe

mmscfdcsu

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
I don't get the feeling that skaters, including Johnny, are all that patriotic unless they see their flag on the rise.

Joe

No kidding. And if they cared about the future of US skating, they would stick around for Worlds to ensure that we have the maximum number of slots at Worlds the following year. It's very selfish to take the money and run after Olympics!

dr.frog

On the Ice
mmscfdcsu said:
No kidding. And if they cared about the future of US skating, they would stick around for Worlds to ensure that we have the maximum number of slots at Worlds the following year. It's very selfish to take the money and run after Olympics!

Oh, cow poop. If the point is to not to deprive up-and-coming skaters of spots at Worlds, what's wrong with sending those up-and-coming skaters to Worlds *this* year instead of next? Why should they have to wait an extra year for the "lame duck" older guys to retire? And why should the older guys have to skate at Worlds if they don't want to?

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Who would want to be a skater? If you "take the money and run" after Olys, you are selfish, because you should be securing the maximum number of skaters for next year. If you don't "take the money and run", and for years, you have been instrumental in securing the maximum number of skaters for the next year, then everyone thinks you should retire and get out of the way of the younger skaters. You can't win.

sk8er1964

On the Ice
SkateFan4Life said:
It always irritates me to hear skaters say that they "are skating only for themselves". This is horse manure of the first order, in plain English.

All skaters, whether it be an adult in learn to skate or a national senior level competitor, skate for themselves. It's not about country or money -- it's about our love for the sport. There are thousands and thousands of figure skaters across the globe who will never have the chance to represent their country and chase Olympic glory. Yet we go to the rink every day, sometimes at obscene hours, to pursue our sport because we love to skate and are doing it for ourselves. We endure the pain and the disappointments, because there are also the triumphs and the happiness. It is too much of a personal sport to do it for anything else but yourself.

(Maybe you have to be a skater to understand....)

S

SkateFan4Life

I strongly agree with the poster who expressed the view that our American skaters should stick around after the Olympics and compete at Worlds so that the maximum number of skaters in his/her/their discipline can qualify for the next year's Worlds -- when they may well be out of the eligible ranks. Those who choose to fly away from the competitive arena immediately after the Olympics really are not fulfilling their roles as members of the US Olympic/World team. Would it be so much of a hardship to remain eligible for ONE MORE MONTH to compete at Worlds? Please, give me a break.

There is absolutely nothing "patriotic" about talking trash, putting down the competition, and the like. Speaking your mind is OK, but use some class with you do it, please. Frankly, I think Weir couldn't care less about the fact that he is representing the US - all he cares about is "skating for himself". Horse feathers, plain and simple.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Gee, if skaters really skate (or should skate) for the country as oppossed for themselves, how would you explain all skaters who moved counties, continents, changed their nationalities just so they would have a chance to continue skating or to go to Olympics?

I am not sure how the patriotism thing came into this thread, but I agree 100% with sk8er1964 (and I am not a skater) that skaters skate first and foremost for the love of the sport, and for themselves. Maybe it meant something back in the Cold War era to represent one's country (and only to exetionally idealistic individuals).

I just don't see how Johhny is unpatriotic for "talking trash". I do not see how skaters who choose to retire following the Olympics are "unpatriotic". It's their life, for goodness sake!

I just don't see how patriotism and sports even belong in the same converation.

Yana

"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel," LOL. -- Samuel Johnson

PS. OT -- I never could figure out just what was so wonderful about Samuel Johnson -- or about Boswell's biography either, for that matter.