Disaster for Johnny Weir | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Disaster for Johnny Weir

I do not believe any skater is patriotic except briefly on the podium. Skaters have enough on their minds to get on the podium.

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
why'd we get into patriotism? :laugh: this isn't a Bush campaign thread! :laugh:

I was always taught that patriotism had to do with standing up and supporting your country, I don't see sports as being part of that but that could be me... so how is Johnny being unpatriotic by saying meaningless tripe? LOL It's not like we don't hear that everyday everywhere! Depending on which way you vote the opposing side is always talking in meaningless dribble... so how is Johnny doing anything less? ;)

and yes, in a way the skaters are representing their country... but considering it's a sport and not a political event not everyone in any one country is watching so most that are know Johnny ain't speakin' for all of us...:laugh:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I think that the role of the athlete as a county's "ambassador" at a competition is very real; when the men's hockey team trashed their hotel room in Nagano after an unexpected loss, it did not do US-Japanese relations any good. However, I am not sure how much attention gets paid to interviews, as opposed to actions.

I think the patriotic thing was when a poster mentioned Johnny as a representative of his country. I don't think he is in the game for that. He's in the game to get a medal. Patriotism is seen when the flags go up on the podium, and quickly goes away to make for the ego stretch.;)

Joe

BittyBug

On the Ice
"Patriotism"

I think when skaters are at an international event representing their country, they should comport themselves with dignity and diplomacy. (So trashing your hotel rooms in another country is not a good idea....) However, the United States is a country that has fostered and thrived on individualism, and I don't think skaters should be expected to spew only PR-approved sound bites in fluff interviews. I dunno - something about the 1st Amendment.... ;)

sk8er1964

On the Ice
STL_Blues_fan said:
I am not sure how the patriotism thing came into this thread, but I agree 100% with sk8er1964 (and I am not a skater) that skaters skate first and foremost for the love of the sport, and for themselves. Maybe it meant something back in the Cold War era to represent one's country (and only to exetionally idealistic individuals).

Thank you for understanding what I was trying to say :)

(Oh, and OT -- how dare you beat my beloved Red Wings??? :no: )

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
sk8er1964 said:
Thank you for understanding what I was trying to say :)

(Oh, and OT -- how dare you beat my beloved Red Wings??? :no: )

oh, don't you think that we deserved a win after nearly matching the worst record in NHL's history by going 11 games and 28 days without a win?:biggrin:

you guys have to loose at least 50 straight games to us before we come even close! and you are still on top of the central whereas we just barely escaped the basement, so no pity from me:p

Yana

About patriotism, I think the only time it plays a role is at the Olympics. At the Olympics the big whoop is to win as many medals as possible for your country.

By way of contrast, at Worlds the goal of each skater is to show that he or she is the best skater in the world (that day, LOL).

Of course everyone should be polite to their hosts when they are guests in a foreign country. But that's not patriotism, that is just showing that your parents raised you right.

Olympic gymnastics is a good example. Although there are individual awards, the most important medal is the national team medal. This is sort of silly, if you think about it. Gymnastics is a totally individual sport. There is no notion of "teamwork," -- each competitor just does the best he or she can as an individual, then they add up the points. They don't even have "high bar pairs." Yet we wave the flag when our "team" outpoints the other guys.

MM :)

Last edited:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Mathman said:
About patriotism, I think the only time it plays a role is at the Olympics. At the Olympics the big whoop is to win as many medals as possible for your country ...

Of course everyone should be polite to their hosts when they are guests in a foreign country. But that's not patriotism, that is just showing that your parents raised you right ...
MM :)

Considering the behavior of some athletes at the Oly games (such as the track team that wrapped themselves in the flag in the 2000 Olys), which necessitated a special class on "how to behave" for the athletes going to Athens, there seems to be a shortage of "correctly raised" athletes. Do you think tying "proper behavior" to patriotism might work to improve matters?

attyfan said:
Do you think tying "proper behavior" to patriotism might work to improve matters?
No, actually I think the opposite. IMHO "patriotism," like "school spirit," is a lot more likely to goad people on to idiotic behavior -- like setting cars on fire when your team wins (or loses) a football game -- than to lead to anything good.

MM

euterpe

Medalist
The fact is that unlike gymnastics, figure skating is NOT a team sport. The skater represents his/her country but is skating for him/herself. Nothing wrong with that.

As for skating at Worlds after winning the OGM, until Baiul in 1994, the ladies OGM winner always skated at Worlds. Baiul was the first to break the tradition, followed by Lipinski and Hughes. What I thought was worse than simply not going to Worlds and saying so was Hughes announcing at SLC that she would go to Worlds and "represent my country". Less than two weeks before Worlds, Hughes withdrew, saying she was too tired, leaving the USFS scrambling to find a replacement.

If Irina wins the OGM as expected, it's 50-50 that she will not go to Worlds, but at least she has her health as a reason not to go. With Irina, you never know, because each victory pumps her up even more for the next event on the horizon. And her attitude is that every 'next event' could possibly be her last, so she savors every one.

There's the story of a British guy who won an event in the Summer Olympics, and when asked how it felt for him to be the only Brit to win an Olympc gold medal.? He replied: Just great, I will not have to share all the attention with anyone.

I believe that is a standard feeling among athletes.

Joe

soogar

Record Breaker
I don't see Irina skipping worlds whether she wins or loses the OGM. She will go if she loses as a way to avenge her loss; she will go if she wins to add another World title to her resume.

Linny

Final Flight
going to Worlds after Olys

If Irina or any other non-North American skaters do well at the Olys, they might go on to Worlds simply to solidying name recognition among North American audiences... since that is, after all, where much of the post-eligible skating takes place. What better place to get name recognition than Calgary?

Linny

euterpe

Medalist
Irina doesn't need name recognition. She has skated with COI every summer except when she was hospitalized.

I do not think Irina is planning on a career as a pro skater anyway. She has said she plans to go into sports television and has gone to broadcasting school. I know that above all, she wants to "born a baby".

S

SkateFan4Life

sk8er1964 said:
All skaters, whether it be an adult in learn to skate or a national senior level competitor, skate for themselves. It's not about country or money -- it's about our love for the sport. There are thousands and thousands of figure skaters across the globe who will never have the chance to represent their country and chase Olympic glory. Yet we go to the rink every day, sometimes at obscene hours, to pursue our sport because we love to skate and are doing it for ourselves. We endure the pain and the disappointments, because there are also the triumphs and the happiness. It is too much of a personal sport to do it for anything else but yourself.

(Maybe you have to be a skater to understand....)

I've skated quite a lot, although I was never a competitive skater. I can certainly agree with you on the fact that most skaters who stay in the sport for a long time do so for the love of skating. How else could they endure the years and endless hours of training. Granted, some skaters are pressured by their families, coaches, and/or respective national skating associations to stay in the game.

On the other hand, I'm writing about elite skaters who represent their country in international competitions. This goes way, way beyond the frame of mind of "skating for myself". It's OK to still skate for yourself, as long as you realize that you're also representing your country in this effort. For Heaven's sake, this includes showing some class and good sportsmanship! And it also includes using some discretion when you give interviews that are picked up by the media.

euterpe

Medalist
I hope Johnny Weir's CoR medal will put to rest all the talk of his "disastrous season". His ankle is not completely healed, but he was able to score 75.15 in the SP and 131.64 in the FS. He should be 100% for Nationals and Torino, then look out!