Does this mean Abbott is done? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Does this mean Abbott is done?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

“Nobody has to stand center ice in front of a million people and put an entire career on the line for eight minutes of their life when they’ve been doing it for 20-some years. If you think that’s not hard, then you’re a damn idiot.

“Some people can handle it better than others, but everyone has that mental struggle. Everyone goes through the same doubt. I’m not alone.

“I’m frickin' proud of what I’ve done, and I’m not going to apologize for anything.”

A lot of other U.S. champions have stood where Abbott did at the Olympics and worlds and skated brilliantly. Of course that is hard. But few of those champions underperformed on the biggest stages as badly as Abbott did.

I don't agree with Phil all the time, but that last paragraph is pretty spot-on. When in context of that paragraph, Jeremy sounds pretty bad.

Here's hoping he can prove all of us wrong and do well this week.

centerpt1

On the Ice
I doubt Abbott will be near the medals....he's been practicing the quad triple in the short. Why risk that at the end of a long season? I wish he'd just go out and skate a wonderful short for his fans, sans quad.

No matter where he places, he's still my favorite skater. He has heart and grit and determination. His programs are always interesting and elegant. He's amazing to watch live.

caitie

Medalist
I think the quad triple must be there in practices, otherwise I honestly don't think he and his coach would include it. Something about international competition must just shake him up or something, IDK.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
But this is the reason why Jeremy will likely never get to the World podium. He has trouble skating 2 clean programs back to back at the international level. And he is competing against men who are more consistent than him and who can land quads, which he usually cannot. At this late stage in his career it's not enough to skate well 'after the fall'. He needed to skate WITHOUT a fall.

Anyway, I just hope for Jeremy's sake that he keeps the one spot lead he has over Max Aaron, because if he doesn't the comments he will get will be pretty rough. It's already pretty clear that he's not going to make the podium here which is what he supposedly wanted to do. If on top of that he finishes below Max Aaron and does worse than what Jason Brown would have done, he will get taken to task again.

noskates

Record Breaker
Let's be honest - Jeremy wasn't the only one to fall! Unfortunately he has a history of blowing it. I kind of think he knew going in that unless he skated "lights out" he would be up for some serious derision from the media and figure skating fans. He decided to take that risk. Unless he really has a splat fest I don't see him placing below Max just based on presentation. I just wish he had retired after Worlds. But......

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jeremy should have just stood aside and let Jason Brown skate at Worlds. Abbott wasn't going to medal at Worlds and we don't need to see another 9th place "personal triumph" from him. Sure Jason and Max weren't going to get the 3rd spot back either but at least Jason gets more experience.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
But this is the reason why Jeremy will likely never get to the World podium. He has trouble skating 2 clean programs back to back at the international level. And he is competing against men who are more consistent than him and who can land quads, which he usually cannot. At this late stage in his career it's not enough to skate well 'after the fall'. He needed to skate WITHOUT a fall.

Anyway, I just hope for Jeremy's sake that he keeps the one spot lead he has over Max Aaron, because if he doesn't the comments he will get will be pretty rough. It's already pretty clear that he's not going to make the podium here which is what he supposedly wanted to do. If on top of that he finishes below Max Aaron and does worse than what Jason Brown would have done, he will get taken to task again.
A lot of his 'being taken to task' has to do with his off ice comments made to the media. He doesn't help himself any by saying things that make him sound like a petulant child.
He is a great skater.

centerpt1

On the Ice
Jason doesn't even have a quad. And barely a 3A. Get real. Jason's gonna need 2 different quads to get on a World podium. Right now Max is the only one with a dream of a shot. The US men just aren't podium material right now. Jason is a nice skater. But right now the emphasis is on Jumps. Multi-quadding. I don't like it, but that's the way it is.

Max had better hunker down and work on those skating skills, because he's the only jumper the US has.

Jeremy did well for him.....he didn't die after the quad attempt, which has been his M.O. Had he done this skate in 2010 he'd have been set up nicely. But the world of men's skating has moved on.

Jason is an excellent competitor- but he needs to lose the enthusiastic floppy puppy dog look and gain some serious quads if he wants to be on the World podium.

I'm pretty much over men's skating. It has no appeal for me anymore. The focus on multi quadding (and multi-falling) has ruined the power and beauty it used to have.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Jason is an excellent competitor- but he needs to lose the enthusiastic floppy puppy dog look and gain some serious quads if he wants to be on the World podium.

The judges seem to like Jason's "floppy puppy dog look" (and I don't think he's like that on the ice, anyway) just fine. FWIW, despite the lack of quad and his supposedly inconsistent 3A, he still has the top 3 highest short programs scores among the U.S. men. And Jeremy's SB this season, in fact, is barely above Jason's lowest SP score this season -- and Jeremy's PB in the free skate is only two points higher than Jason's, which came despite having 1 3A and lower than PB scores from both Max and Adam as well.

And just because Jason doesn't have a quad now, doesn't meant he will never get it. And nobody is claiming that he was going to get on the podium at this Worlds.

Last edited:

centerpt1

On the Ice
Unless you look at Jeremy's SP at nationals where he was above Jason AND had a Quad.

But it doesn't matter , because neither of them are getting near the World's podium in the immediate future.

Jeremy is at his limit, and Jason isn't there yet. The US men just aren't quad jumpers. (Tim G and possibly Max excluded)

The US really needs to look at what the Japanese men's training programs look like-and emulate them.

And yes- the Jason fans are all p.o.'d at Jeremy, when it was Max that took Jason's spot. By the usual way of things, Jason would have been selected for Worlds along with the Nat'l Champ , Jeremy.

I fully expect Max to do better in the LP than Jeremy- Max has more tech content. Neither US man will medal. Jason wouldn't have medaled either.

FYI, I prefer Jason's style to Max's style........but the writing is on the wall. Men must have 2 types of quad jumps -in their programs to be world class.

The US men do so well in the World as Juniors......Adam, Jason.......but then can't be World Podium material as Seniors. They are still wonderful skaters. The US needs to figure out why their men can't jump with the big boys.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Unless you look at Jeremy's SP at nationals where he was above Jason AND had a Quad.

But it doesn't matter , because neither of them are getting near the World's podium in the immediate future.

Jeremy is at his limit, and Jason isn't there yet. The US men just aren't quad jumpers. (Tim G and possibly Max excluded)

The US really needs to look at what the Japanese men's training programs look like-and emulate them.

And yes- the Jason fans are all p.o.'d at Jeremy, when it was Max that took Jason's spot. By the usual way of things, Jason would have been selected for Worlds along with the Nat'l Champ , Jeremy.

I fully expect Max to do better in the LP than Jeremy- Max has more tech content. Neither US man will medal. Jason wouldn't have medaled either.

FYI, I prefer Jason's style to Max's style........but the writing is on the wall. Men must have 2 types of quad jumps -in their programs to be world class.

The US men do so well in the World as Juniors......Adam, Jason.......but then can't be World Podium material as Seniors. They are still wonderful skaters. The US needs to figure out why their men can't jump with the big boys.

That's why I said internationally. Jeremy has yet to do that program clean internationally, so I don't think I'm saying anything extreme here. The fact is that as of right now Jason has had better placements than Jeremy internationally this season. That all can chance this evening if Jeremy does well and stays in 8th place or moves up.

Can you wait a year-or-two until you declare that Jason isn't ever going to be world podium material? Jason just finished his first year internationally and as far as I know is working on a quad.

And for the record I'm not mad that Jason isn't going to worlds and have even mentioned that there was a case to send Max, so please please stop it with the generalities at all the Jason fans.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Can you wait a year-or-two until you declare that Jason isn't ever going to be world podium material? Jason just finished his first year internationally and as far as I know is working on a quad.

And for the record I'm not mad that Jason isn't going to worlds and have even mentioned that there was a case to send Max, so please please stop it with the generalities at all the Jason fans.

:clap:

But remember, there were also a lot of people who claimed Jason would never land the 3A and that he'd never do well in Seniors because of it. I think he's shut those people up nicely.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I gladly eat my words, Jeremy Abbott! Congrats on a great FS and helping the U.S. get three spots for 2015. Now you're done! And you finished well. :clap: :party: :hb:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I do hope you have a splendid retirement and celebration party all rolled into one, Jeremy! Enjoy, you deserve it!