Does this mean Abbott is done? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Does this mean Abbott is done?

Selene

On the Ice
I'm happy that Jeremy's final performance was perhaps his best on the international stage. He didn't have the technical content to compete with the top skaters, but he did very well for himself and helped the US Men gain three spots for next year's Worlds.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Looking forward to seeing a very happy Jeremy in Stars on Ice!

Meoima

Match Penalty
I gladly eat my words, Jeremy Abbott! Congrats on a great FS and helping the U.S. get three spots for 2015. Now you're done! And you finished well. :clap: :party: :hb:
Yeah, Abbot, you are a hero! I cried for you. Truly amzing!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yes, Jeremy has confirmed that he will retire after worlds.

Or maybe he changed his mind? http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=49984&type=media

Jeremy Abbott, it what may have been his final competitive performance, closed the season on a high note, performing his Muse free skate "the best I've ever skated that program in competition." He earned a season-high 166.68 points for the segment and 246.35 overall. He finished fifth overall.

When asked by the media of his future plans, Abbott acknowledged that he needs some time to process this event before making any decisions.

"If I go out today, I would be happy because that's the best I've skated," he said. "I'm certainly not done skating. I love to skate and I love to perform and I love to create. That's going to be with me for a long time. I'm going to be in front of an audience for a long time to come. I don't know. I'm trying to absorb this moment and then I'll go home and take the next step to see what happens."

The reference of "If I go out today..." seems to indicate that he's leaving the door open for next season? But then he talks about loving to perform and create, which doesn't necessarily mean continuing in competitive skating.

TMC

Record Breaker
I gladly eat my words, Jeremy Abbott! Congrats on a great FS and helping the U.S. get three spots for 2015. Now you're done! And you finished well. :clap: :party: :hb:

Totally with you here!! And like mentioned in another thread: based on PBs purely, Jason would've been 6th/6th/6th so no 3rd spot (of course impossible to know, but statistically). Really really REALLY happy for Jeremy :)

mintx

On the Ice
:clap: So happy for Jeremy! He deserved that skate. That's a great way for him to finish! :yay:

Does anyone ( or even Jeremy) know what his future plans are beyond SOI? It sounded like he misses Colorado in a recent article so I'm guessing he will move back there. I can see him becoming a known choreographer in the future.

noskates

Record Breaker
I was so impressed with Jeremy. I think he put more heart into that skate than any other time I've seen him. When I've been discouraged with him I would always think back to 2012 Nats and the fantastic job he did in both the SP and LP. Always knew he could do it. I honestly think he could have been on the podium if he'd only had a better SP. Great way to go out though. I'm very happy for him and also for Jason and Yuka who've been through so much with him.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
well even if he could get his nerves under control, how much more can a 28-year-old body take?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Realistically, he just skated nearly his very best and he still is some 30 odd points away from a medal.

centerpt1

On the Ice
Pretty sure he'll retire, as he has the chronic back/hip issues and the shoulder injury at the Olympics. He'll be 29 soon, and just can't train at the highest levels anymore.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh goodness, I hope he doesn't continue. Wasn't one of the major reasons he was retiring because of his back problems? I don't want to see another Plushy. Listen to your body, Jeremy. You're 28. It's time.

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
Fine with me, though I know many Golden Skate members would hate it :rofl:

Well you wouldn't be alone in not minding if he stayed around. ;)
If it's competitively I would be thrilled because the mens field is going to be so boring without him, but I don't want him to continue competing if it's going to irritate his former injuries.
If he's skating in shows and choreographing, that will make me :biggrin: as well!