Dream Programs | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Dream Programs

Lenny318

On the Ice
I want someone from Japan to skate to Final Fantasy VII music. The remake has a ton of buzz and if it's combined with the star power of their top skaters dang. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if Square Enix doesn't try to get one of the top Japanese skaters to skate to Final Fantasy XV music cause holy heck has Square put a ton into promoting that game with an anime and a movie.

Or Persona music cause it has a different feel and vibe and they've made some nods to figure skating in the trailer for their newest game

Last edited:

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Oh another thing... 1812 Overture by Tchaikovsky for Julia Lipnitskaia, and have her interpret the Natalie Portman character from V for Vendetta.

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
I would love to see Yulia skate to the Ib soundtrack. The music is so beautiful and the story of the game is so emotional :cry:

Seconding. I love that OST. And Y/J, maybe, as the serious version of S/H's Plants vs. Zombies ex from a while ago.

Or P/Z and Garry's theme... or just as Ib and Garry in general. (I think that could actually fit them.)

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Do skaters every hire music consultants? After all, there are people whose whole job is listening to music and choosing good/the right tracks for ads, television, movies, etc. It seems like skaters have trouble thinking of original songs with the right ingredients to make a good program. I know they send their music off to professional editors to smooth over cuts, but it seems like hiring someone to find some good music that's not just the usual stuff would be a good idea, especially for ice dancers where they need specific genres and rhythms.

Maybe they can consult fans for good idea. Since we on the forums are skating fans and we always have ideas on songs that could work for skating, perhaps we can suggest some ideas to skaters. I have maybe 20 songs, probably more I can think of that could work. Plus at least 4 mixes for SPs/FPs/FDs.

andromache

Record Breaker
Do skaters every hire music consultants? After all, there are people whose whole job is listening to music and choosing good/the right tracks for ads, television, movies, etc. It seems like skaters have trouble thinking of original songs with the right ingredients to make a good program. I know they send their music off to professional editors to smooth over cuts, but it seems like hiring someone to find some good music that's not just the usual stuff would be a good idea, especially for ice dancers where they need specific genres and rhythms.

I think that's what choreographers usually do if the skater can't think of something on their own? Though there are skaters who pick their own music, like Ashley chose Hip Hip Chin Chin this year.

My ideal LPs for American ladies:

Polina: I'd love to see her do Firebird or Black Swan, but since those almost "belong" to the other American ladies....Maybe some of the more dramatic cuts of the The Rite of Spring? Basically, I want her to do classical but dramatic and dynamic and fierce.

Ashley: Tango, baby. Dramatic and sexy, but requiring more subtlety than Moulin Rouge. I know you can do it.

Gracie: Beyonce's "I Was Here." Everyone who keeps saying Gracie should just do T Swift clearly hasn't seen this exhibition. While her "Shake it Off" EX is fun yet relatively one-note, Gracie expresses the heck out of this song by Beyonce, it has the highs and lows that will make the program interesting, and it suits where she is in her skating right now. DO IT GRACIE, DO IT. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaiWnZYx7QQ

Mirai: Anything with better cuts than Gatsby. But seriously, if she connects better with pop-esque music, do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbeHq1CLqJ8. That is the track I've been hanging onto, that would die of happiness if someone skated to it. And I'm giving it to you, Mirai. Imagine a footwork sequence to the Russian part. I also think it's more DRAMA than her current music, so would be a good departure for her. (I could also see Evgenia or Adelina doing this justice.)

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Polina: I'd love to see her do Firebird or Black Swan, but since those almost "belong" to the other American ladies....Maybe some of the more dramatic cuts of the The Rite of Spring? Basically, I want her to do classical but dramatic and dynamic and fierce.

I agree with you on this, but I can't think of anything off the top of my head. Most of the things I played in orchestra really don't fit the dynamic that you'e described.

andromache

Record Breaker
I agree with you on this, but I can't think of anything off the top of my head. Most of the things I played in orchestra really don't fit the dynamic that you'e described.

I'm not exceedingly musically inclined, but I googled "best ballets," found Rite of Spring, jumped around the score, and found there are very dramatic parts. It could work?

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States
I'm not exceedingly musically inclined, but I googled "best ballets," found Rite of Spring, jumped around the score, and found there are very dramatic parts. It could work?

It probably could with the right cuts. It's one of those compositions where I know it, but not as well as other pieces of music.

DexterK

On the Ice
I would love to see Yulia skate to St. James Infirmary Blues for her short program. While I think on its own merit it would be lovely, it would also pay homage to Maria Butryskaya's short program to the same music in Helsinki where Maria won her WC title back in 1999.

Of course Yulia has to make it on to the World team first, but I am confident she can do it.

Lenny318

On the Ice
I think the Kingdom Hearts OST could be a good fit for Polina. There are some dramatic/powerful orchestrated pieces in those games that I think would be good for skating and for Polina's style. Plus it's (partially/mostly?) Disney-related. Win-win for her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di5FN4jaSrU
https://youtu.be/s9XljBWGrRQ?t=40s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPwDrsTjNns

*ETA: I think Mariah Bell could also pull off Kingdom Hearts just sayin she's got such lovely flow that would go well with it

Last edited:

Oscuriti

Spectator
I've always wanted to see a program set to Black Velvet, the Sibelius violin concerto or Dvorak's New World Symphony. Not sure which skaters I would match with any of these (particularly Black Velvet).

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I'd like to see Tuktamysheva skate to Samson and Delilah. I think I would suit her style more than a waltz or Carmina.

lyndichee

Medalist
Gracie needs something jazzy and upbeat. Not necessarily something from Chicago like the exhibition she did a couple of years ago, but something in that music genre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abvIj26qyj0

100% agree. Gracie needs something fun and upbeat that she can smile through. I don't think it's something like Shake It Off but something from Broadway or jazzy would suit her very well. Her exhibition to Kristin Chenoweth's "Maybe This Time" allowed her to be upbeat and smile a lot and Kristin tweeted her so maybe she can find some inspiration from her songs.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I still have a bit of a love affair of the concept of Max and the opening sequence from Top Gun. Slow, slow, dramatic, elegant, and then explodes into power.

(A little nervous though after the last time he and Kenny Loggins were put together though.)