Favorite spiral positions | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Favorite spiral positions

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
All 180-deg moves (other than split jumps) look like that in stills. It looks better when she's moving.

I think that particular position looks just as akward in motion as it does in pictures. I just do not like the way she has her arms wrapped around like that, it looks like a blatantly contortionist move and nothing more, to me at least. She could have done just about anything else with her arms and it would have looked better.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
:clap::clap:i was stuned when i saw Caroline do this move and really would like to see her put it into her programs for competion next season. I love seeing somthing origianl and her strength and flexiblity is just amazing. :bow:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
:love: - ya, that little jitter of warm tingles running up your spine. Loardy she is pretty:love: Can't really see the tracing that well though, just the spray.:cool:

This is defined as "Your Favorite," correct??? not meaning who I think has the "best" but MY favorite???

Anyhoo, MM is that your picture?

Here is my Favorite :love: -
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q206/seanibu/photos-1f3ae345ea9c2054ee460d1406f4.jpg
And look at that hip and back posture!:bow:
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q206/seanibu/66297_2KPost_Special_ACT_FS11_122_2.jpg

Last edited:

MissCleo

On the Ice
A position that is extrememly difficult is a spiral with your body completely vertical and the leg at 90 degrees (or more if you can get it higher). That position is much more difficult than the spirals where the torso is dipping down which every skater does. Why don't we see that particular position? It requires more strength than when you dip your body forwards.

What you're describing is technically an arabesque. I believe that in a spiral the free leg must be higher than hip level.

passion

On the Ice

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I don't find Fumie's flexibility to be very satisfactory at all. Her lack of flexibility takes away from her line somehow. I'm referring particularly to the first photo.

I agree to a degree, I was going more for the favorite than who I thought to have the best. I messed up the order of those pics so the position in the spiral is really my favorite and the spiral position she has great posture to her hips and back and her arms and hands are just wonderful, but yes the extension is not as dramatic as other greats. Her Y spiral position has good extension IMO though. ;)

But I would say for "best" - Nicole or Sasha. MK would also fit in a "favorites" category for me. As for whole spiral sequence, Ira's in 2005 SP, Shi-chan's 06 LP were favorites / best for the WHOLE sequence IMO

Last edited:

carolinefan177

On the Ice
Spirals...

I love Michelle Kwan's classic COE spiral and Caroline's veritical split. Caroline is still so young and she has a wow factor with her spirals. I also love her innovative spins and other spiral positions--that takes away from the boring repetition of the sport; where's the originality? Just my opinion.

morninglight

On the Ice
A position that is extrememly difficult is a spiral with your body completely vertical and the leg at 90 degrees (or more if you can get it higher). That position is much more difficult than the spirals where the torso is dipping down which every skater does. Why don't we see that particular position? It requires more strength than when you dip your body forwards.

Yeah, in the spiral position in figure skating, the torso is significant lower than what we see in arabesque in ballet. As you mention, the arabesque position can technically meet the FS requirement for the free leg to be held higher than the hip. But we don't see this position often on the ice. http://www.stalbertballet.com/images/arabesque.jpg

Last edited: