Figure skating show coming to Netflix | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Figure skating show coming to Netflix

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
A singles skater gets partnered up with a bad boy? Sounds so pedestrian.

Well it is a SPIN on past skating stories. Yes, this has been done in the movies about every 10 or 15 years. At least he isn't a bad boy hockey player or she gets made fun by some mean rich girls or her parents h ave to sell the house or struggle to keep their marriage together because of the financial strain. (Of course I haven't seen the series)

Charlotte 71

On the Ice
Well it is a SPIN on past skating stories. Yes, this has been done in the movies about every 10 or 15 years. At least he isn't a bad boy hockey player or she gets made fun by some mean rich girls or her parents h ave to sell the house or struggle to keep their marriage together because of the financial strain. (Of course I haven't seen the series)

... Starting with "Champions: A Love Story," so go ahead and try to find a cuter bad boy than Jimmy McNichol and make a better "singles skater turns to pairs skating as a last resort" show than that beloved 1970s tour de force - I dare them.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Yay, it's The Cutting Edge vol 4858599!!

But of course it's better than nothing, so can't wait :))))))))))

NaVi

Medalist
The only two figure skating setups that I think could make good movies/tvshows...

1. An extremely long drama(think centennial or roots) or comedy-drama centered on a coach or series of coaches... Fassi, Carrol, Tutberidze could serve as inspirations.
2. A youth comedy(think boy meets world, saved by the bell) or comedy-drama(mighty ducks) where figure skating may not necessarily be the center of the story.

TBH, if they want to do a drama/romance they'd be better off with ice dance rather than pairs being the center. Pairs these days is tilted towards acrobatics.

I love figure skating, but I think there's a lot with it to where it won't translate to interesting television. A big issue is that it's quite repetitive with the same program being done the whole year. And with that there's much less strategy, surprise, and spontaneity. Another issue for the US is that the top skaters don't see themselves that often.

Ducky

On the Ice
I love figure skating, but I think there's a lot with it to where it won't translate to interesting television. A big issue is that it's quite repetitive with the same program being done the whole year. And with that there's much less strategy, surprise, and spontaneity. Another issue for the US is that the top skaters don't see themselves that often.

You're assuming it's going to be accurate to the sport and not have different programs every episode. I mean I'm sure it's going to be as accurate as Reign's costume design was...

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
You're assuming it's going to be accurate to the sport and not have different programs every episode. I mean I'm sure it's going to be as accurate as Reign's costume design was...

Reign's costume design was almost the best part of that show (second only to Toby Regbo's hair).

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
LOL I watched The Cutting Edge 1, then read the plot of 2 3 4...and decided not to watch:palmf:

I've seen them aaaaaaaaaaaaaaall.
I also tried to watch all of the Center Stages but I think my brain cells started dying on 2.

I see they haven't cast the "bad boy" male role yet. Any suggestions from among actual skaters? How about David Pelletier?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This reminds me of Make It or Break It, the TV show about gymnastics with Candace Cameron.

And I watched every episode of that. :bang: It really wasn't bad until the last season.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oooh! Emma Roberts! :)

Years ago, I taped the film "Aquamarine", purely because I knew that singer JoJo and a few people that I liked from Aussie soaps were in it, and I wanted to see what they were like acting on the big screen. But, I never got round to watching it at the time.

I found it again over the summer, and finally watched it. Unfortunately, it turned out to be your typical wee girl film, with over-excitable screaming teenagers. But, in between the cringing, I found that I liked Emma Roberts.

Ever since, I have been curious to see how she has developed as an actress. Is she on the way to emulating the success of Auntie Julia?

So, a figure skating programme starring her would be a perfect excuse to find out. Even if it does have a cringe-worthy plotline.

Just a pity it's on NetFlix, though. I have never been a fan of watching things on the computer because of the limitations of streaming compared to watching on normal TV. I can only just put up with watching figure skating on it because there is no alternative. And there is no way that I would pay a subscription for a service like this, which would only be used now and again (I'm not really into drama series, and I don't have the time to watch enough films to make it worthwhile).

Do NetFlix sell their programmes to TV networks at all? It would be great if they did.

I see "Reign" was mentioned in the article. Now, that is a programme I would have loved to watch, for the same reason that I wanted to see "Aquamarine" (i.e. there were people that I liked from Aussie soaps in it). But, it has never been broadcast in the UK, and by the time I discovered that it was being shown in the middle of the night on RTÉ, it was far too far into the series to pick up. :mad:

So, I've got my fingers crossed that sometime in the future these programmes will appear somewhere on UK screens...

...but I'm not holding my breath.

CaroLiza_fan

Netflix has lately been putting out seasons of shows on DVD. They have a movie coming out in theaters also. There is an alternative, though, you can use a fire stick or chromecast or Roku. I know you can with Netflix; with NBC Sports Gold you are supposed to be able to. But I guess you must have slow internet - is that what you mean by "the limitations of streaming compared to watching on normal TV?"

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
LOL I watched The Cutting Edge 1, then read the plot of 2 3 4...and decided not to watch:palmf:

I actually quite liked The Cutting Edge 1. Enough to have watched it a few times and then bought it. When I watched 2 I thought "that's 90 minutes of my life I'll never get back."

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
... Starting with "Champions: A Love Story," so go ahead and try to find a cuter bad boy than Jimmy McNichol and make a better "singles skater turns to pairs skating as a last resort" show than that beloved 1970s tour de force - I dare them.

OMG I loved that movie. Did you know it's part of the Criterion Collection and you can get it on DVD from Amazon? I was sooo excited..had seen it several times by diligently combing through the TV listings every week.

And who can forget....ICE CASTLES...I saw it in the theater....more times than I care to admit. "I did a triple." "I heard, a lousy triple. You know what the judges want and you give it to them better than anyone else. Triples are just showoff acrobatics." :laugh: I don't even remember what kind of triple it was now...but figures were 15%...:points:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Netflix has lately been putting out seasons of shows on DVD. They have a movie coming out in theaters also. There is an alternative, though, you can use a fire stick or chromecast or Roku. I know you can with Netflix; with NBC Sports Gold you are supposed to be able to. But I guess you must have slow internet - is that what you mean by "the limitations of streaming compared to watching on normal TV?"

To be honest, my own internet isn't too bad. It's not the super-fast fibre optic stuff, but it is pretty decent broadband and sufficient for what I use it for. However, I remember what it was like before we got it, and I know other people that do not have access to decent internet speeds even if they wanted it. So, I always think of things from that perspective. The problem we have is that our internet is known to cut out without warning for an hour or so every now and again. Thankfully it hasn't happened for a few months, but I am always wary of it happening.

Although this was included in what I meant when talking about "the limitations of streaming compared to watching on normal TV", there were other things that played a bigger part.

Firstly, no matter how many pixels you are watching it in, the picture quality of a video coming from the computer never looks as good as that of a video coming from the TV. Even if it is being watched on the exact same screen.

But the thing that really frustrates me is the inability to record things to DVD or a HDD recorder. Admittedly, I do now have OBS Studio, which I can use to record streams to the computer. But the picture is quite jerky, and the sound is just awful! Nothing near the quality you get when recording something off the TV.

Admittedly, that may just be me not knowing how to use the programme properly. But, even so, it is so much simpler to record off the TV. Just press a button or set a timer.

Hopefully this clears things up

CaroLiza_fan

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
Has this Netflix series started yet? 'Edgy'?

No news on a release date yet but this Variety article says one of the showunners, Samantha Stratton, was once a competitive skater herself so maybe the skating bits won't be so bad. The Cutting Edge may be a classic, but let's be real...the Pamchenko is physically (literally, by the laws of physics) an impossible move.

It also has a Netflix page with minimal info so far but will likely be updated once there's more: https://www.netflix.com/title/80201590

Although I just saw that Emma Roberts dropped out: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...netflix-figure-skating-drama-spinning-1156842

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Anything labeled "edgy" gets an immediate pass from me. :laugh:

Hmm... I'd like to see a series about Soviet figure skaters during World War II who are actually spies or partisans and end up sabotaging some Nazi plot. Fresh take on figure skating drama AND Soviet spies in one go! If they want romance, one of them can fall in love with a German or American skater.