New skating show on Netflix - Zero Chill | Golden Skate

New skating show on Netflix - Zero Chill

pearly

Record Breaker
Ladies and gents, while we were busy discussing trivial stuff that are PCS, underrotations and calls, negative GOEs and positive PCRs, Netflix released another one season skating themed wonder: Zero Chill.

Truth be told, I'm only on episode two but in my opinion this won't live any longer than Spinning Out which at least had better skating. We have another Tessa Virtue lookalike, plenty of teenage drama, bad British accents and made up competitions (or reality shows, I am really not sure what "Blade Star" is supposed to be). I am still trying to figure out if we are pretending wobbly double jumps are getting us to the Olympics or not, but I plan on finding out.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
My go-to fix is all the synchro on OnIcePerspectives.. now that is WOW..:clap::clap::clap::clap:

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A great figure skating show would be a reality one. One day at Crystal, one day at TCC, one day at Champery, etc.
Behind the scenes. See all the figure skaters in their home rinks. I want this. :dbana:
One day at Crystal‘s best scene will be Eteri smacking around the people filming the show. Haha

Last edited:

pearly

Record Breaker
I would like to hear from ballet and gymnastics people: were Make it or Break it and Tiny Pretty Things this bad? I enjoyed both shows, but I wasn't a ballet dancer or a gymnast. I do know skating both as a competitor and as a viewer and so I know just how bad this is.

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I would like to hear from ballet and gymnastics people: were Make it or Break it and Tiny Pretty Things this bad? I enjoyed both shows, but I wasn't a ballet dancer or a gymnast. I do know skating both as a competitor and as a viewer and so I know just how bad this is.
I watched both Make It or Break It and Tiny Pretty Things. I liked both as far as entertainment goes. I don't know enough about ballet to make a judgement call on that aspect, but the gymnastics aspect of Make It or Break It was really bad. Stick It was better. The problem is that they cast actresses who can't really pass as gymnasts, usually too tall or the wrong build, but I guess there are real-life exceptions. I know Kyla Ross ended up pretty tall by the end of her elite career.

pearly

Record Breaker
I watched both Make It or Break It and Tiny Pretty Things. I liked both as far as entertainment goes. I don't know enough about ballet to make a judgement call on that aspect, but the gymnastics aspect of Make It or Break It was really bad. Stick It was better. The problem is that they cast actresses who can't really pass as gymnasts, usually too tall or the wrong build, but I guess there are real-life exceptions. I know Kyla Ross ended up pretty tall by the end of her elite career.
I remember at the end of the show there was a moment where the mean girl with heart problems was doing her beam routine and they were waiting for the machine to beep five times, that was bad :) But the show was entertaining and certainly seemed to be of higher quality than Zero Chill.

BearryBear

On the Ice
Country
Canada
This show was pretty bad. If you’re watching it for skating, you’re going to be disappointed. It focuses more on the brother and his hockey. The little bit of skating we do get isn’t very good and really inaccurate. I doubt it will get a second season.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
TINY PRETTY THINGS was riddled with cliches and cliched with riddles. Not a good series and not reflective of the dance world.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I found it to be pretty enjoyable as a light snack actually, much better than Spinning Out. It's great how the show introduces the idea of a Female/Female Pairs team and also constantly plays around with the roles of the characters, the expectations put on them vs what they actually want. The actuality of living with mistakes, family dynamics, trying to balance everyone's happiness. The hockey coach actor has peculiarly interesting expressions too. Worth seeing.

Lota

Record Breaker
A great figure skating show would be a reality one. One day at Crystal, one day at TCC, one day at Champery, etc.
Behind the scenes. See all the figure skaters in their home rinks. I want this. :dbana:
Something like "Drive To Survive" on Netfix for F1? Ehhh, not sure if that would work. Perhaps it would attract more new viewers, but my guess is that they would really want to ramp up the drama as much as they can and therefore create storylines themselves with good guys, villains, etc., which just isn't nice. I mean, last year's F1 season had plenty of drama Netflix could have used, but what did they choose to do? Create their own silly storylines :palmf:

Who knows, maybe they'd make something nice where we would get to follow the skaters a little and get more details on how things work, but my guess is that it would be... manufactured drama 😅

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Do you have any links? I'd love to check it out.

Several clips on the Instagram account..
This is one I watch iver and over.. so beautiful..

Also the YouTube account..
This one of a junior team performing Matrix is stunning..

EDT to add this one from YouTube

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
This isn't something that's necessary. Trust me when I say it's quite boring and not glamourous whatsoever. Plus, the skaters don't need to be on camera and accessible to fans prying eyes all the time, being at home rink and training w/o makeup and that security blanket of not having to be "on" for the cameras 24/7 is something the skaters earned and deserve to keep "sacred."

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This isn't something that's necessary. Trust me when I say it's quite boring and not glamourous whatsoever. Plus, the skaters don't need to be on camera and accessible to fans prying eyes all the time, being at home rink and training w/o makeup and that security blanket of not having to be "on" for the cameras 24/7 is something the skaters earned and deserve to keep "sacred."
I was thinking more of a fluff , exhibition type of show. One Saturday at Sambo, but the skaters would all know, so it would be for fun. Then the next Saturday at TCC, etc.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I was thinking more of a fluff , exhibition type of show. One Saturday at Sambo, but the skaters would all know, so it would be for fun. Then the next Saturday at TCC, etc.
But that's not what training centers are for and what goes on there. Skaters don't pay crazy money for valuable ice time to shoot a show for fans enjoyment.