Flatt wants medal finish | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Flatt wants medal finish

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If she is planning to go back to last year's FS, I think that's great! She skated "Romantic Rhapsody" with such passion and attack, and that's what she needs to show the judges at Worlds.

HCOSurfer

Final Flight
A friend from the CSWA told us that Flatt was back at the rink this morning, and she was working on her "Romantic Rhapsody" LP from this past season. Good move! :rock:

YES, that's a GREAT move!!! Her LP last year was one of my favorites. Hopefully she'll rock LA with it.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Wow, that was unexpected...but welcome. Now we know she means business. :laugh:

LeCygne

Final Flight
I'm not so convinced this is the right move. Yes, Ave Maria worked again for Caroline, but I just don't think it's worth it in Rachael's case. She only has about a month until Worlds, but Caroline at least had Nationals to test run it again. After competing and training this LP all year, why change back for the LAST competition? And wasn't Romantic Rhapsody a junior level program? She only competed senior at Nationals last year, if I'm not mistaken. So that just adds to the list of changes on her plate right now. But I don't know, hopefully she can do it. I just don't think it's a risk worth taking right now, especially with this particular Worlds.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rachael skated a fantastic SENIOR program at Nationals to "Romantic Rhapsody". I don't see why she couldn't do the same at Worlds.

I don't see any risk at all there.

LeCygne

Final Flight
Rachael skated a fantastic SENIOR program at Nationals to "Romantic Rhapsody". I don't see why she couldn't do the same at Worlds.

Yes, and then she went to Junior Worlds and again skated it as a Junior program. It's not that hard to add a few seconds, perhaps a longer spiral sequence, into a program you've been skating all year. But anyway, I agree that's not the biggest issue. I hope you're right that she'll be fine.

Last edited:

Nigel

On the Ice
Yes, and then she went to Junior Worlds and again skated it as a Junior program. It's not that hard to add a few seconds, perhaps a longer spiral sequence, into a program you've been skating all year. But anyway, I agree that's not the biggest issue. I hope you're right that she'll be fine.

Flatt trained both Jr and Sr versions of her SP and LP last year because IIRC, the jump in Jr last year was a loop and in her Sr Sp, she did flip. So, if anyone can train 4 prgms over the course of a season and make those changes, IMHO, Flatt can handle this move back to "Romantic Rhapsody"! And she obviously loved those programs!

I think it is time that skaters become more like dancers, and have the ability to shuffle around their routines, and even add one at the last minute. Pavlova learned the Dying Swan on the day of its evening performance. Good for Rachael.

Penny

On the Ice
Josetz: I so agree. I get tired of the same programs over and over. I imagine skaters are capable of learning more programs, but cannot afford music, costumes, & choreography for more than one new program per year.

Sorry to be such a pessimist, but 6 and 7 does not seem possible for US ladies at World's considering 4 Continents finish, which did not include the Finns or Carolina. So let's just accept it and take the pressure off.

Yuna--the best jumps in the world of ladies. But, really, her spins and spirals are way below Alyssa and Caroline Z. Her leg position on the layback is really ugly.

mandykane21

Rinkside
I agree with Particle Man. If you aren't good enough to win, then you need to do what it takes to get you there. That's what makes this a sport and the ones that know how to do it when the pressure is on will be the champions. Alissa seems to have issuses with nerves, so 'Just do your best', is an okay frame of mind for her right now (and I stress right now). But not Rachael, she seems too driven and focused. It wouldn't shock me at all if her goal in every competition is to try to win it no matter how realistic it is. I would worry if this pressure is being put on her, but she seems to be taking this on herself. If you're gonna go, might as well go big. I think this is a very good sign.

lcd

Match Penalty
I'm not worried about pressure being "put on" Rachael. She seems an ambitious, high achieving athlete who has gotten this far in an insanely competitive US system because of the high expectations that come from her hard work and from within. Articles with topics like this always seem to touch a nerve. Is it "PC" to say you want to win? Come on...

flying camel

Medalist
Wow, does she read Goldenskate or just do whatever Chuckm tells her to do? :laugh:

Great move, and go, Rachael!

I am beginning to think Rachael reads on here. I wonder what other skaters are reading.
Good luck Rachael. I loved her LP from last year. Maybe she will have more confidence with it.

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Add me to the list of those happy she's going back to last year's program. This year's LP just wasn't working for her musically. Last year's was much better. Good luck to Rachael at Worlds.

Particle Man

Match Penalty
I would worry if this pressure is being put on her, but she seems to be taking this on herself. If you're gonna go, might as well go big. I think this is a very good sign.

That was my impression too. Instead of worrying about other people's expectations, she is taking it on herself to aim higher. So maybe she will be focused on her own goals, since they are harder, and not worrying about other people's expectations.

Oh, and I really hope skaters don't read these boards. 99% of the time I am fair to the skaters, but most people aren't.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'd find it hard to believe the skaters themselves read the boards. Stuff is said around here that might not be too good for their psyche (sp?)

I would not be surprised, however, if their reps, their friends, or members of the press do though.

I really think PRESSURE is bantied around here too much. Since the days of 'get kwan', one reads more about pressure, and of course, Kwan's problems were her hips not pressure.

All skaters feel the nerves when being thrust onto that ice alone with thousands looking on as well as that staunch group of officials looking grim.. How could they not? How to control the nerves should be a part of each skater's training.

Rachael will be nervous as every competitive skater is, but she will not have a melt down.

antmanb

Record Breaker
I really think PRESSURE is bantied around here too much. Since the days of 'get kwan', one reads more about pressure, and of course, Kwan's problems were her hips not pressure.

Sorry Joe but i don't think Kwan's hip problems had anything to do with her falling on a triple flip and double fotting her triple toe in SLC. That was pressure and nerves.

Ant

Joe said:
All skaters feel the nerves when being thrust onto that ice alone with thousands looking on as well as that staunch group of officials looking grim.. How could they not? How to control the nerves should be a part of each skater's training.

Rachael will be nervous as every competitive skater is, but she will not have a melt down.

I agree. I don't think I have ever seen a bad performance from Rachael, nerves or no nerves.

The most amazing recent example of a skater conquering the nerves and self-imposed pressure was Mirai Nagusu's LP at U.S. Nationals. She was a tearful basket case at the boards, then sucked it up in a triumphant tour de force. :rock:

Sorry Joe but i don't think Kwan's hip problems had anything to do with her falling on a triple flip and double footing her triple toe in SLC. That was pressure and nerves.Ant
As it is with every skater.Booboos happen. Think the favorite, Irina with her wonky landings. For Kwan, though, I think that could have been pressure brought on by dad sitting there as coach. Wasn't that a hoot and never explained.

I believe the constant writeups that "Kwan's going to have pressure' came about with the possible 9th gold medal at Nats. My point is that it is silly to use the term pressure when the whole sport is built around nerves and risks.