Football/Soccer Is The Greatest Game On Earth. | Page 90 | Golden Skate

Football/Soccer Is The Greatest Game On Earth.

LRK

Record Breaker
Well, with half of Europe qualifying, it would be a tad embarrassing if Sweden still didn't manage it... ;)

Of course, I don't know what other teams are in their qualifying group - Russia, I think?

BusyMom

Medalist

BusyMom

Medalist
That's exactly why you shouldn't use his rants to support your case.

This is the his interview 2days before the final. http://www.smh.com.au/fifa-world-cu...el-messi-hits-out-at-pele-20140612-zs4ld.html
He changed his mind in a matter of 2 days. Also a few years back he was the one who stated that apart from him Diego Forlan is the greatest players on earth. :slink: Every football fans got it right away why he said that during after the final. Messi fail to deliver Maradona a title. He is just a bitter old man. There was an ESPN's article that Maradona trashed talked all of this WC stars comparing them to Messi. Yes what a credential there.

I agree with Alba that Maradona is one of the greatest Footballer we've seen in our life time. I personally think that Messi with all his great skills never ever get to Maradona's level in this life time. But Maradona's character is too shaded and self-absorbed. He and his insomniac entourages spent their months in Brazil stalking lobby of the hotel the Argentina team were staying 24-7. Some reporters said that they couldn't get to the team without interviewed Maradona first. :think:

Meoima

Match Penalty
That's exactly why you shouldn't use his rants to support your case.

This is the his interview 2days before the final. http://www.smh.com.au/fifa-world-cu...el-messi-hits-out-at-pele-20140612-zs4ld.html
He changed his mind in a matter of 2 days. Also a few years back he was the one who stated that apart from him Diego Forlan is the greatest players on earth. :slink: Every football fans got it right away why he said that during after the final. Messi fail to deliver Maradona a title. He is just a bitter old man. There was an ESPN's article that Maradona trashed talked all of this WC stars comparing them to Messi. Yes what a credential there.

I agree with Alba that Maradona is one of the greatest Footballer we've seen in our life time. I personally think that Messi with all his great skills never ever get to Maradona's level in this life time. But Maradona's character is too shaded and self-absorbed. He and his insomniac entourages spent their months in Brazil stalking lobby of the hotel the Argentina team were staying 24-7. Some reporters said that they couldn't get to the team without interviewed Maradona first. :think:
That man... No wonder I have never liked him. :slink: Poor Messi.

Alba

Record Breaker

Oh I totally agree on that. He is the greatest Footballer but when he speaks (I better say rant) he is out of control most of the time.
He says a lot of rubbish and stupid thing. He has something to say about everything, politics, civil rights, and IMO most of the times he has no clue of what he's talking about. :biggrin:
He never said anything about Messi tbh. On the contrary he always said he is as good as him, if not even better (contrary to Pelé for example who looks a bit pathetic to me), and in this case he was right about golden ball.
However, I do agree with you about Maradona's character, his persona. Very self-absorbed indeed.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I'd love to go to see the national team play Argentina in Düsseldorf in September. My mother also wants to go and checked for tickets and they are really expensive. I guess the demand is very high now that they are World Cup Winners. I don't think Messi is going to play, but if it is really the farewell game for Klose it is definitely a must-see. Probably won't get tickets anyway.

Alba

Record Breaker
I'd love to go to see the national team play Argentina in Düsseldorf in September. My mother also wants to go and checked for tickets and they are really expensive. I guess the demand is very high now that they are World Cup Winners. I don't think Messi is going to play, but if it is really the farewell game for Klose it is definitely a must-see. Probably won't get tickets anyway.

Are they going to play against Argentina, again? :biggrin:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
But Maradona's character is too shaded and self-absorbed. He and his insomniac entourages spent their months in Brazil stalking lobby of the hotel the Argentina team were staying 24-7. Some reporters said that they couldn't get to the team without interviewed Maradona first. :think:
:eek:

Pretty unfair to criticize Messi for not singing the anthem though. The entire Argentinian team refuses to sing. He would've looked awkward singing by himself. It's a team problem, not a Messi problem.

This has nothing to do with football but I'm putting it here because I don't know where else to post it and it's really funny, and true. :biggrin:

Italy vs Europe. It's an old one but still very funny. :laugh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAJNFoHuLno&index=65&list=WL
:laugh: The queue part is going to give me nightmares! (But seriously, you guys aren't that bad! At least, in Canada, we don't perceive Italians that way. Italians are generally known for being very warm and friendly).

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Italy vs Europe. It's an old one but still very funny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAJNFoHuLno&index=65&list=WL

:rofl: :points: :rofl:

Hilarious -- brava, Alba!

I especially loved the "queue" segment b/c it reminded me of New Yorkers trying to pile into the subway. We're actually pretty good about queuing up for other things but on the subway, especially during the morning rush hour, it seems that all bets are off. There are always a few people who will not wait for others to get out before they push into the car. If you try to be polite you're apt to get stepped on. :bang:

The "pedestrian" part cracked me up, too. I'm a highly experienced jaywalker but in Rome I was way out of my league! One of my friends who lived there for several years developed a technique of following nuns when crossing the street. Her theory was that no driver would dare hit a nun so she was probably safe walking behind them. :laugh:

BusyMom

Medalist
Two of the Britons who were killed on MH17 in Ukraine are named as two of Newcastle United fans. They were en route to watch their team play in New Zealand. RIP.

Alba

Record Breaker
The "pedestrian" part cracked me up, too. I'm a highly experienced jaywalker but in Rome I was way out of my league! One of my friends who lived there for several years developed a technique of following nuns when crossing the street. Her theory was that no driver would dare hit a nun so she was probably safe walking behind them. :laugh:

:laugh: Never thought about that but her theory seems right. ;)
The "pedestrian" part and the bus waiting is so true, especially in Rome. Milan is a different story but Rome is absolutely crazy. :slink::laugh:

Philipp Lahm retires from international competition: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...onal-football-Germany-win-World-Cup-2014.html He will, it seems, keep playing for Bayern Munich. So that's one down on "Germany could field the exact same team in 2018."

Noooooooo! Why? He is still young isn't he?

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Not that young, he is thirty. I think it is a very wise decision. Many players overstay their personal peak, and he seems smarter than that. Of course, he has won the World Cup! so now might be the perfect time to stop and concentrate on Bayern for the rest of his pro career.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Not that young, he is thirty. I think it is a very wise decision. Many players overstay their personal peak, and he seems smarter than that. Of course, he has won the World Cup! so now might be the perfect time to stop and concentrate on Bayern for the rest of his pro career.
I hope he will reconsider this decision, though. He still hasn't gotten that Euro title.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Yeah, maybe he doesn't want to go the way of the... last captain that won the WC and decided to stay in. :slink: Of course, I don't personally think people need to "go out on top," even if they risk a Spain-like meltdown.

Despite what Lahm says, I wonder if he would've stayed in and given WC another go if they hadn't won (basically what Klose did post-2010).

LRK

Record Breaker
Well, Casillas still helped Spain win Euros... The thing is to not play when one is not on form, I think, regardless of age. Though, to think of it, I can't remember the time when the Swedish commentators were not saying something about Klose not having been that good "this season", and then noting - when he, you know, scored again :) - that he seems to really shine in the national team. As wiith everything else, I suppose there is no exact "one fits all" rule... Anyway, sorry that Lahm is retiring.