Football/Soccer Is The Greatest Game On Earth. | Page 91 | Golden Skate

Football/Soccer Is The Greatest Game On Earth.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I think many years from now, people will not remember Casillas badly because of the final WC disaster. Hence why I'm not attached to people "retiring on top"--Klose wouldn't have finally won WC if he did that! (Conspiracy theory: Klose refused to retire to spite the Swedish commentators :laugh:)

Spain probably should've subbed off Casillas until he got over whatever was bothering him, but I dunno if that would've been enough. They lost for reasons that extended far, far beyond just the goalkeeping. On the other end of the spectrum, Italy lost to Uruguay despite Buffon proving that he's still got it in his old age. Goalkeepers get more flak than they deserve, imo.

LRK

Record Breaker
I think many years from now, people will not remember Casillas badly because of the final WC disaster. Hence why I'm not attached to people "retiring on top"--Klose wouldn't have finally won WC if he did that! (Conspiracy theory: Klose refused to retire to spite the Swedish commentators :laugh:)

A laudable ambiton - they should be spited at all times. ;) (Well, at least when they are "writing off" people - or anyone "writing off" anyone, really... )

Spain probably should've subbed off Casillas until he got over whatever was bothering him, but I dunno if that would've been enough. They lost for reasons that extended far, far beyond just the goalkeeping. On the other end of the spectrum, Italy lost to Uruguay despite Buffon proving that he's still got it in his old age. Goalkeepers get more flak than they deserve, imo.

Oh, no! It was far from all Casillas' fault, that is for sure! However, a leaky goal does not exactly help. ;) But I really hate having to say negative things about Casillas - it gives me honest to goodness pain! He's been so stellar for such a long period of time - and I still love him, but... well...

I'll have to comfort myself that no one will blame this on David Villa - my most favourite - since he was benched in both of the first matches - and it's difficult to score from the bench :) - and he did score in the match they actually allowed him to play, so... Hopefully they'll come back strong in Euros'... (But without Villa!:cry: )

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I'd say two of the goals had to do with Casillas--the one where he lost control of the ball and gave it to Robben, and the one against Chile where he punched it straight at the opposing team. But that only accounts for two out of seven (!) goals Spain conceded, not to mention their woeful offense.

Truly inexplicable decisions from the coach too. :scratch: They bring back Casillas for the match against Chile, but decide to keep benching Villa.

LRK

Record Breaker
My husband would disagree - I'm sure he felt that both Chilean goals, for example, were largely due to Casillas. Note: I'm saying "my husband" because I don't see well enough to trust in my own judgement - not because I disagree with him. :) Probably at least two of the Dutch goals as well - that and the "defence". Still, that is bad enough... Honestly, I scarcely recognised the team! Except for the first half against Holland - and around 10-15 minutes in the second half against Chile. I mean, they were so slooooooow - taking down the ball at their leisure, looking for an age for someone to pass to, and then - as often as not - mispassing! I mean - all those missed passes?! - Spain?! Ugh! And then, the rest of the players... sauntering about... ! Not running without the ball - I mean, WTH?!

Thank goodness for the third match - it may have "meant" nothing - but more than the 3 goals, it soothed my hurt sensibilities to actually see them playing like Spain! I don't know enough about the situation going into the World Cup - who was in form and who wasn't, who was used to playing with whom. But... for so much they didn't look like a team - and that has always been Spain's greatest strength - playing like a team.

Sigh. Well, enough of that! Here, for those - like our Meoima :) - who enjoy some goals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y728D99siP0

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Okay, it was a miserable performance from Casillas. But for most of the goals, he was left with an "open net, no defenders/defenders in the wrong position" situation. It's the same reason I don't blame Julio Cesar for the 7-1 (though Cesar didn't have the obvious "kicked the ball at Robben's feet" mistake). Could he have done better? Sure. But was he the main reason for the result? Not by a long shot. Plus, I think after letting in the first few goals, Casillas looked shaken, which couldn't have helped the rest of his game. More reason they should've subbed him, but I doubt it would've made a difference considering the "defense".

Alba

Record Breaker
Casillas was a disaster at WC. They all were but he in particular. :no:
He was bad in the CL final as well. Still, Spain is full with talent. They'll have no problem.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Casillas was a disaster at WC. They all were but he in particular. :no:
He was bad in the CL final as well. Still, Spain is full with talent. They'll have no problem.
I still don't understand what happened to Spain. :confused: I mean they have all the talents. With Brazil it might be different because they depended too much on 1-2 players. But Spain?

LRK

Record Breaker

BusyMom

Medalist
Spain, of course. :) It's always Spain > Any Other Country in any case - and I'm really not particularly a Sweden fan; don't care for their style of play. Zlatan, though, I like. :)
There is another young Swedish, Kristoffer Peterson. He just score a winning goal for LFC right at this moment (since it at the end of the game I hope it was a final goal). He score 2 goals in the last 2 games so he is my new favourite Swede. :biggrin:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I still don't understand what happened to Spain. :confused: I mean they have all the talents. With Brazil it might be different because they depended too much on 1-2 players. But Spain?
It's the reigning WC champion curse. Other than Pele's legendary Brazil team (which also had one post-win meltdown) and Argentina's runner-up in 1990, has any reigning WC champion come back to do fairly well?

LRK

Record Breaker
There is another young Swedish, Kristoffer Peterson. He just score a winning goal for LFC right at this moment (since it at the end of the game I hope it was a final goal). He score 2 goals in the last 2 games so he is my new favourite Swede. :biggrin:

Sounds like an exemplary young man. :)

BusyMom

Medalist
^I think he has big future ahead of him but who know might not be with Liverpool. We always let great players go and keep the mediocre ones. :disapp: He didn't get the chance to go to the US tour with the team even scored 2 goals recently. :bang:

Today Gerrard announces his retirement from England National Team. Great news for us since he can focus on our games. Big lost for England of course but I don't think half of the fans care anyway. They made fun of him most of the time but sang a highly praise on someone who scored first and only goal in his third WCs. :think:

LRK

Record Breaker
^I think he has big future ahead of him but who know might not be with Liverpool. We always let great players go and keep the mediocre ones. :disapp: He didn't get the chance to go to the US tour with the team even scored 2 goals recently. :bang:

Today Gerrard announces his retirement from England National Team. Great news for us since he can focus on our games. Big lost for England of course but I don't think half of the fans care anyway. They made fun of him most of the time but sang a highly praise on someone who scored first and only goal in his third WCs. :think:

Is that Wayne Rooney? ;)

Yeah, I suppose some people prefer their players to be more of the... flashy sort. That's why, apparently, so many Brazilians are (were?) fond of Hulk. The quiet, hardworking type often get overlooked. Personally, I liked Gerrard, and I'll be sorry that I won't be seeing him playing for England - but, thank you for everything, Gerrard, and good luck this season with Liverpool!

BusyMom

Medalist
Is that Wayne Rooney? ;)

Yeah, I suppose some people prefer their players to be more of the... flashy sort. That's why, apparently, so many Brazilians are (were?) fond of Hulk. The quiet, hardworking type often get overlooked. Personally, I liked Gerrard, and I'll be sorry that I won't be seeing him playing for England - but, thank you for everything, Gerrard, and good luck this season with Liverpool!
:laugh: Yeap Rooney the Swoony all right. And the reason for my dislike not because he is the United's. Schmeichel is on top of my favourite GK. I'm also a big fan of Best, Keane, Gigs and Nicky Butt. I just think he is too much overrated. He could effort to not score a goal for all this time as a famous goal scorer. Anyway Thank you for your sentiment toward Gerrard. ;) I'm happy to hear when people appreciated his works.

Also...congratulation to James for fulfilling his dream. I'm heartbroken but sure will continue to support him. http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892...al-madrid-reach-70m-james-rodriguez-agreement

Meoima

Match Penalty
Come to think of it, Beckham's era with England team was much better than the current era. And Yet I thought he was such a headcase. Poor England team.

Alba

Record Breaker
Come to think of it, Beckham's era with England team was much better than the current era. And Yet I thought he was such a headcase. Poor England team.

I don't think Beckham was ever a headcase tbh. I think his head was more about this popularity, being "famous" thing, and that's what prevented him to be greater as a football player but not a headcase.

LRK

Record Breaker
@BusyMom - Yes, agreed about James - good for him. He must be really happy right now. And, indeed, we will support him.

Note: I've only the vaguest notion of who else is playing in Real these days... ?

@Meoima - I do think that Beckham's headcase-yness is a tad exaggerated. Yes, he'd send penalties up into the stratosphere, but he could be good the rest of the match. (I don't know why no one told him: No more penalties for you David! - Was there no one else willing to step up, or did he insist on doing them himself?) I liked his behaviour as England captain as well, how he behaved to the other players on the pitch, walking about, talking to them, encouraging them...

Talking of which... it reminds me, I meant to ask... With Gerrard stepping down as England captain, who is likely to be chosen to take over from him? Any info? ideas? thoughts?