Free Dance | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Free Dance

samba

On the Ice
And you don't think Igor doesn't do the same thing? Meryl/Charile, Trina/Chris, Shibutanis, Madi/Greg; they all have essentially the same footworks as well. However, you only make the point of saying something about Netchaeva's teams? I understand it's difficult to give a thoughtful review when you're typing as you're watching; but be a little more fair with what you say.

I am just warning of your criticism. It goes for everything and everybody (including myself). I know skaters who read these message boards, and I guess just want to remind everyone be careful of what you say because they are aware.

I agree with you. Netchaeva's footworks are more intricate which slow down the program and can affect the PCS. Igor's have more cross over which help the speed and PCS. Each coach has their own style and preference. I don't think one is better than the other. I also see some resemblance in lifts (more acrobatic) in D/W, V/M and P/O's, with less difficulty in P/O's. I believe that Natchaeva's lifts were more conservative due to safety concerns. Netchaeva's footwork could work well in very skillful skaters but not in weaker skaters.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Your choice. If someone requests PBP, I'll try to provide it.

However, if you decide to choose to read it, you must realize that what you get is what's going through my mind as I watch, which is nothing but my own opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it, which is nothing. GS does not charge for the competition portions of the forum.

I do indeed try to be fair. However, like anyone else, I have skaters I will always like, and a couple who generally annoy me to death. I try to mute those feelings in a normal post , but while doing PBP, I won't do it as well as I would when I reread what I have written before I post it.

As to costumes? I describe them as I see them. I do not expect people to agree with me, necessarily, but what I am trying to do is describe them so a reader can picture the performance somewhat, and the costumes are a huge part of the performance.

If no one asks for PBP, I will not provide it, of course.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I was actually shocked by the comments about costumes. First of all it's not the most important part of figure skating and the second is that comments were mostly unfair. Costumes are always a matter of tastes and I wouldn't say I always agree on this point with dorispulaski.

I thought this couple were inappropriately costumed to skate to music about Queen Elizabeth I:

Anastasia GALYETA / Alexei SHUMSKI UKR
19 62.29

Coach: Alexander Tumanovski

Elizabeth the Golden Age (soundtrack) by Craig Armstrong, A. R. Rahman

Why he has a red badge sash around his chest (like Boy Scouts) I don't know. He has a black strap diagonally across it. Dark pants, white shirt. She has white dress with a swirly stripe.

I reread the thread. Most of the really condemnatory costume comments weren't mine. Mine were intended to be descriptive rather than a fashion review.

MissIzzy

Final Flight
Their ice dance costumes; they're supposed to be a little crazy sometimes. The only thing I found very remarkable about any of them was the striking resemblance of Mysliveckova and Novak's costumes to Johnny Weir's King of Chess outfit.:p
(They do an exhibition to Yunona i Avos too. Clearly a pair of fans.)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Their ice dance costumes; they're supposed to be a little crazy sometimes. The only thing I found very remarkable about any of them was the striking resemblance of Mysliveckova and Novak's costumes to Johnny Weir's King of Chess outfit.:p
(They do an exhibition to Yunona i Avos too. Clearly a pair of fans.)

The "Chess" costumes were fabulous, and entirely in keeping with the music.

Nigel

On the Ice
You have been really down on the US skaters (in all disciplines) at this JW. If the Hubbells are "down", what does that say about the skaters who placed below them?

What about Ralph / Hill and Routhier / Saucke-Lacelle who were passed by two US teams who hadn't competed at 2008 JW. What does that say about those teams, and Pushkash / Kiselev and Antipova/Kudashev? And Riazanova / Guerreiro, who were beaten by the Shibutanis and had to settle for bronze? Are those teams all "down" too?

The Hubbells will have alot to think about in the weeks to come. But, they also should take away alot of good thoughts from their performances this past week, and if they are so inclined, work their butts off and move forward towards next season. I wonder how much of this is due to the siblings skating together. Do siblings ever really make it to the elite level in ice dance? Someone refresh my memory....

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
I am so happy :D
Maia and Alex pulled themselves all the way from 5th place in the beginning to get the silver medal overall!! That is amazing! I have no doubt another year on the Junior circuit will just make Maia and Alex's perforamnces even better and ensure them a very strong debut on the senior level if they decide to move up.
Keep going!!!

With much ado about Schpilband v. Nethaiva it would seem there is no other team worthy of even a mention without them. Yes?

As for the Hubbells, I wrote that with much tears, but if you review the set up of Skate Dance in the USFS and the ensuing gushing of particular teams you will see what I mean for the Olys. Here is the list I think about and in order of USFS preference:

1. Davis/White
2. Shibutani's if they are to go that route.
3. Samuelson/Bates
4. Chock/Zurlein if they are to go that route
5. Belbin/Agosto

The Teams held in abeyance would be: the Hubbells and Navarrow/Bommentre

That's the way I see it and 4 more years of hard work does take its toll on the Teams for 2014.

Oh, and whatever Team does win the 2010 US Nats will face: Delobel/Schoenfelder, Virtue/Moir, Pechalat/Bourzat, Faiella/Scali, Domnina/Shabalan, Khokhlova/Navitski.

Ben

Rinkside
DorisPulaski, you were just downright nasty. Your nastiness maybe led others to think that they could be similarly demeaning, so they tried to top you? You show complete and utter disrespect for kids that are out there working themselves to the bone, dedicating their hearts and souls to this sport, and you see nothing wrong with the things you say, thinking instead that it might make them better? I pity you.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Well, I apologize then.

I said that 3 teams had similar footwork. I said that the Hubbell's similar footwork was well done.

Please direct me to the posts you find particularly objectionable in a PM, and I will fix them. The post numbers are on the upper right hand of the post.

In fact, if they are that objectionable, you should use the report feature, to be found at the lower left of the post. It looks like a triangle with an exclamation point inside. This calls the attention of the moderators to the post and they will decide whether to edit the post, whether to give me a warning, an infraction or ban me.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
With much ado about Schpilband v. Nethaiva it would seem there is no other team worthy of even a mention without them. Yes?

As for the Hubbells, I wrote that with much tears, but if you review the set up of Skate Dance in the USFS and the ensuing gushing of particular teams you will see what I mean for the Olys. Here is the list I think about and in order of USFS preference:

1. Davis/White
2. Shibutani's if they are to go that route.
3. Samuelson/Bates
4. Chock/Zurlein if they are to go that route
5. Belbin/Agosto

The Teams held in abeyance would be: the Hubbells and Navarrow/Bommentre

That's the way I see it and 4 more years of hard work does take its toll on the Teams for 2014.

First of all, the Shibutanis are not eligible for Worlds/Olympics because Maia will not turn 15 until after July 1. I absolutely disagree with your 'USFS preference' list, because (a) NO WAY would the US prefer to send newly Senior teams (Shibutanis and C/Z) over Belbin/Agosto; and (b) B/A made it to the GPF this year with one gold and one silver medal, and Samuelson / Bates won one silver (because V/M withdrew) and a 4th place, and did not make the GPF.

Too bad you don't like the Hubbells, but that doesn't mean they are not in good stead with the USFS.

Oh, and whatever Team does win the 2010 US Nats will face: Delobel/Schoenfelder, Virtue/Moir, Pechalat/Bourzat, Faiella/Scali, Domnina/Shabalan, Khokhlova/Navitski.

It's very likely that the 2010 team will be the same as the 2009 team (B/A, D/W, S/B) and they will face the same competitors they did in 2009, except that DelShoes will most likely not compete at Worlds 2009 due to her recent shoulder surgery.

lmarie086

Medalist
Was I reading the same pbp as everyone else? It must have been different.

I just looked through the thread and nowhere can I see dorispulaski being "downright nasty." I've read far, far worse comments. As I read it, dorispulaski was merely looking for a way to comment on questionable costume choices (if they did or did not fit the themes) and commenting on what a team could do better, or if the choreography could be better.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Originally Posted by Nigel
Do siblings ever really make it to the elite level in ice dance? Someone refresh my memory....
Kerr / Kerr!
And the Duchesnays, of course. Original programs, a World championship, an Olympic silver - and already forgotten? :)

Other than the Kerrs, the Zaretskis are another top ten brother-sister team. Top ten last year, that is. I'm doubtful it'll be repeated in LA.

Last edited:
Too bad you don't like the Hubbells, but that doesn't mean they are not in good stead with the USFS.
Nonsense. The Hubbells are the best team in Dance regardless of this last competition. That's how much I like the Hubbells.

My list of USFS Teams is my opinion, and I'll wait for Nats to come about. I didn't know about the age of Maia, so I will move all teams from 3rd onward up a notch.

It's very likely that the 2010 team will be the same as the 2009 team (B/A, D/W, S/B) and they will face the same competitors they did in 2009, except that DelShoes will most likely not compete at Worlds 2009 due to her recent shoulder surgery.
That's news to me. DelShoes omitting the 2009 Worlds won't hurt their chances all that much.

samba

On the Ice
Nonsense. The Hubbells are the best team in Dance regardless of this last competition. That's how much I like the Hubbells.

My list of USFS Teams is my opinion, and I'll wait for Nats to come about. I didn't know about the age of Maia, so I will move all teams from 3rd onward up a notch.

That's news to me. DelShoes omitting the 2009 Worlds won't hurt their chances all that much.

I think it's way too premature to look at your list as USFS Oly. wish list. Historically, not all medalists from Jr.worlds did well in senior circuits. I can't see Shib.or C/Z will place well if compete against D/S, Dom/Sha, K/N,etc. in a year. I do think the Hubbells have good chance to be on the USFS wish list for Oly 2014, do not write them off. I doubt if N/B will last after next season with all the youngsters coming up in the next year or two.