Gailhaguet: Next Year, P/C will be OGM | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Gailhaguet: Next Year, P/C will be OGM

lappo

Final Flight
My first reaction: "Oh, that's why the paper medal at Marseille, he is saving money for the big cheques!".
But seriously, knowing the reputation of the man, it's only bad that he comes up with such a statement...even if he is only fangirling he is putting a lot of pressure on P/C. And I can only imagine what will happen if, God forbids, they win the Olympics with a so so performance compared to the rest of the teams...everyone will think of a Sochi 2.0 and I really wouldn't like such a situation for such brilliant skaters.

BTW, I always thought that Gailhaguet (and his good friend Cinquanta) should have been banned for life from FS many, many, many years ago!

uhh

Medalist
i don't think the Canadian federation does much ... were Salé and Pelletier, and Bourne and Kraatz favoured? Same with Sochi... ermm ermm...

When did a Canadian male win Olympic gold? yeah... there we are...

Look at the results of Worlds 2001 - the entire reason there were all the backstage deals in 2002 was because of how heavy handed the Canadians had been in pushing S/P in 2001 to win GPF & Worlds even though Jamie was a mess in both events.

yuna13

On the Ice
i don't think the Canadian federation does much ... were Salé and Pelletier, and Bourne and Kraatz favoured? Same with Sochi... ermm ermm...

When did a Canadian male win Olympic gold? yeah... there we are...
Yes at that time Europe was a big deal in skating. But now things are different. Not an expert but I think patrick lost because he made many mistakes! Oh and it's clear looking at the score that the Russian are behind virtue and moir. Everyone is fine with it but if they supported the French he would be didier work and a conspiracy? When the Russian support can skater it's normal but if they support the French it's cheating!

Last edited:
Talk is cheap, but politicking and getting block judges isn't. :p

But can't he at least be more cloak-and-dagger about it?

There is just something, shall we say "off-putting," about a grown man tooting off on Twitter, bragging and carrying on. ;)

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
I think that the way the sport is governed with few consequences and short memories, he feels a little bit ...untouchable, and is obviously supported by people around him. Makes me think of the IOC. Who would have ever imagined that after the Salt Lake City scandal, that this man would be in the running as a future President of the ISU. An ego driven maniac if there ever was one. You cannot make this stuff up folks!

To re-cap, during the election, Dijkema won the first round of voting with 45 votes to Sallak's 43, with Gailhaguet receiving 25 and Buchanan just 2. Gailhaquet and Buchanan dropped out before the second vote. Usually when candidates drop out, there are normal ...discussions, between them and the leading candidates.

Dijkema won by 63 votes over 52 for Sallak.

BTW, Maria Teresa Samaranch of Spain - daughter of former IOC President Juan Antonio, otherwise known as 'His Excellency', which he insisted he be called (and I am not joking, but wish I was), also was elected to the ISU Council. Maria Teresa's brother is an IOC member.

Last edited:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
ikr!

again reminds me of these usual jinxing threads in our forum about 'skater x will win this comp':rofl:

ugh as a Lena/Anton uber this thread triggers me I better leave :scard7::mad::bed:

Evgenia Medvedeva will win World Championships in Helsinki :devil: :laugh:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Because he's power-crazy and cares little about them - that is, he cares about them only to get his own advantage from their success.
The moment he doesn't deem them useful to him, he'll drop them and probably badmouth them in the process.
I've seen this film before, his crazy talk was of no use to either Delobel/Schoenfelder (who lost to Tassels in Slo-Mo) or Péchalat/Bourzat (forced to a ill-handled coach change). I hope that things will pan out differently this time.

He is that sort of guy unfortunately. It's not the first time he displays detrimental behaviour and pulls off similar stunts, Mr Gailhaguet should withdraw from being associated with this sport for good. Just a traitor, selfish & self-absorbed.

You can add authoritarian to it.

Last edited:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
isn't that the guy who organised the rigged judging in 2002...

there... i said it...

Yes at that time Europe was a big deal in skating. But now things are different. Not an expert but I think patrick lost because he made many mistakes! Oh and it's clear looking at the score that the Russian are behind virtue and moir. Everyone is fine with it but if they supported the French he would be didier work and a conspiracy? When the Russian support can skater it's normal but if they support the French it's cheating!

1. People do complain about the Russians a fair amount (there was one competition a couple of years ago involving a Russian lady that a few people found vaguely controversial and complained about once or twice ;))
2. The thing about Didier is his history as 4everchan pointed out. He's not super popular with Canadian skating fans.

I fully believe that P/C can win without back-room deals. I think it would be better if he kept his distance a bit more with statements like that, because given what he's been involved in in the past, it's going to make some people wonder, which isn't fair to P/C.

gmyers

Record Breaker
But can't he at least be more cloak-and-dagger about it?

There is just something, shall we say "off-putting," about a grown man tooting off on Twitter, bragging and carrying on. ;)

This kind of comment was banned!!!

keasus

On the Ice
Re medals at Sochi:

P/B deserved the bronze in Sochi. Heck even W/P should have placed higher than I/K for that empty Morozov FD, but that was going to happen on home turf.

Last edited:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
My first reaction: "Oh, that's why the paper medal at Marseille, he is saving money for the big cheques!".
But seriously, knowing the reputation of the man, it's only bad that he comes up with such a statement...even if he is only fangirling he is putting a lot of pressure on P/C. And I can only imagine what will happen if, God forbids, they win the Olympics with a so so performance compared to the rest of the teams...everyone will think of a Sochi 2.0 and I really wouldn't like such a situation for such brilliant skaters.

BTW, I always thought that Gailhaguet (and his good friend Cinquanta) should have been banned for life from FS many, many, many years ago!

I believe Gailhaguet was banned for a few years only. In his quest for the ISU presidency, he defended his reinstatement after Salt Lake, stating, "even murderers who have been in jail get a second chance. Why shouldn’t I? I didn’t kill anyone. I didn’t press a gun against any of the nine judges, I didn’t pay money".

No, but there are other ways that people can be bullied, and yes you can tell from his tone...full of remorse he was. :noshake:

He then went on to say, ""I’m not a saint, not perfect, but I never went over the blue line. This is not fair to me at all." This was from last year...no wonder this narcissist is still hated in North America 'til this day.

What's truly scary is, this self-centered swine, had 22% of the ISU votes! Beyond belief! :palmf: Okay, time to move HQ to Japan and start fresh, me thinks, and should this ever happen, you can show your appreciation by calling me ,"His Excellency" ;) (see post #45 if unfamiliar).

Last edited:

lappo

Final Flight
No, but there are other ways that people can be bullied, and yes, full of remorse he was. :noshake:

People like him are the reason why FS is quickly becoming a niche sport, despity its beauty and the potential to mix sport with art that is unique to it...if someone watched SLS or Sochi for the first time and saw the outcome, how they pretend they will get interested in the sport? They will think that the results are arranged before the competition even takes place. The worst is that while those "people" appear to get through everything unharmed athletes will suffer the most for the consequences of what they cook in the backroom (think of the hate young Sotnikova had to go through, poor thing).

anyanka

Record Breaker
We know anything can happen. It's great he wants to throw his weight behind them (and I'm happy with either P/C or V/M and even the lovely ShibSibs winning next OGM) but ice is slippery and judging gets knotty. Lest we forget, 1994 was supposed to be T/D's return but Grishuk and the many many illegal lifts won that night.

anyanka

Record Breaker
and as always, it's just over three years to the day of the ladies' free skate ... I'll end it there before the thread gets hijacked.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
In case anyone cares, Didier "clarified" his comments:

It is just a dream to see them up there. I love their talent and watch them perform but I did not know it was forbiden [sic] to dream of the top!

https://twitter.com/DGailhaguet/status/834185722269728774

I think most people would get the benefit of doubt, but many of us fans are far too familiar with Didier's shenanigans that almost killed this sport and mind games that hurt the French skaters.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
In case anyone cares, Didier "clarified" his comments:

https://twitter.com/DGailhaguet/status/834185722269728774

I think most people would get the benefit of doubt, but many of us fans are far too familiar with Didier's shenanigans that almost killed this sport and mind games that hurt the French skaters.

I legit hopped up in my chair when I clicked on his Twitter profile and saw a close up of his face as the cover. :drama: Non merci, por favor!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Someone on another forum pointed out this Tweet from French President Didier Gailhaguet:

Which roughly translates to: "At this time in a year to day Gabriella Papadakis and Guillaume Cizeron will be Olympic champions of ice dancing #FFSG"

https://twitter.com/DGailhaguet/status/833807802577588224

That's pretty ballsy for the President of a figure skating federation to say. He either just has a lot of confidence in Guillaume and Gabriella (why shouldn't he) or there are other nefarious things going on. All federations politick, but I thought the ones that are good at it are usually quieter and more artful about it...like it looks like the result was not a result of politicking.

This whole thing reminds me of what I read about him in the book The Second Mark. What do you all think?

Is Mr Cheater planning on cutting a deal with the Russians again to insure this?

Oy, just reading his comments makes me want to take a shower.