Gailhaguet: Next Year, P/C will be OGM | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Gailhaguet: Next Year, P/C will be OGM

mrrice

Record Breaker
Someone on another forum pointed out this Tweet from French President Didier Gailhaguet:

Which roughly translates to: "At this time in a year to day Gabriella Papadakis and Guillaume Cizeron will be Olympic champions of ice dancing #FFSG"

https://twitter.com/DGailhaguet/status/833807802577588224

That's pretty ballsy for the President of a figure skating federation to say. He either just has a lot of confidence in Guillaume and Gabriella (why shouldn't he) or there are other nefarious things going on. All federations politick, but I thought the ones that are good at it are usually quieter and more artful about it...like it looks like the result was not a result of politicking.

This whole thing reminds me of what I read about him in the book The Second Mark. What do you all think?

I honestly thought his comment was kind of like city mayors predicting the Super Bowl. However, Unless a house falls on Scott and Tessa, I would take his words with a Grain of Salt. Didn't they lose to Virtue and Moir and barely beat the Shibs at the GPF? Why put added pressure on the skaters by making this kind of statement publically. Go to one of their practices and tell them face to face.

Last edited:

maya1985

On the Ice
Unless a house falls on Scott and Tessa, I would take his words with a Grain of Salt. Didn't they lose to Virtue and Moir and barely beat the Shibs at the GPF?

And that proves what? That P/C can not be olympic champions ... that the result is done? It is precisely this idea that is criticized in this tweet ... but hey I suppose to say that V/M will be Olympic champion is more politically correct, there would never have been so many reactions in this case.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
And that proves what? That P/C is off games ... that the result is done? It is precisely this idea that is criticized in this tweet ... but hey I suppose to say that V/M will be Olympic champion is more politically correct, there would never have been so many reactions in this case.

I'm not trying to "Prove" anything. I love them as a team, especially Gabriella. I just don't like these arbitrary predictions. I never liked it when Dick would say things like, Maria Butyrskaya is not in the same league as Michelle Kwan. I just wish these people would keep these types of comments between themselves and their skaters. This prediction also means that he thinks Tessa and Scott are going to lose. That's where I think he's off base.

Last edited:

maya1985

On the Ice
. This prediction also means that he thinks Tessa and Scott are going to lose. That's where I think he's off base.

so, the result is already done ... I just hope for the sport that this is not the case. P/C have everything to be at the same level as V/M (this may shock some of you I know:biggrin:)

mrrice

Record Breaker
so, the result is already done ... I just hope for the sport that this is not the case. P/C have everything to be at the same level as V/M (this may shock some of you I know:biggrin:)

Well, if nothing else it will certainly be interesting.

mrrice

Record Breaker

The problem is this. P/C have ZERO Wins over Tessa and Scott and if he'd said something like "My skaters have a good chance to upset Virtue and Moir and win the OGM" That would have been a more accurate statement. Based off of their head to head competitions, Scott and Tessa would be the clear favorites. Those are the facts.

maya1985

On the Ice
The problem is this. P/C have ZERO Wins over Tessa and Scott and if he'd said something like "My skaters have a good chance to upset Virtue and Moir and win the OGM" That would have been a more accurate statement. Based off of their head to head competitions, Scott and Tessa would be the clear favorites. Those are the facts.

Ok, I agree with you V/M are for the moment clearly favorites but there are still some competitions, I think, before the games ... it's a little premature to say that by then V/M will be undefeated.
Sincerely, it's just a tweet, this is not a press release.

I honestly thought his comment was kind of like city mayors predicting the Super Bowl...

That it! “I’ll bet you a bucket of escargots de Bourgogne against a pound of thick-sliced bacon and poutine that our guys are gonna beat your guys.” :yes:

(The Shibs have to put up a Big Mac.)

mrrice

Record Breaker
That it! “I’ll bet you a bucket of escargots de Bourgogne against a pound of thick-sliced bacon and poutine that our guys are gonna beat your guys.” :yes:

YAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSS!! This is exactly what I meant!!!!!!! :2thumbs:

Except the Big Mac...:disapp: Make it a Double Double......;)

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker

Next season is going to depend on the programs they have. This is P/C's least-acclaimed FD - not as beloved/praised generally like Mozart and To Build a Home :)love::love:). I think stretching into something more avant garde like they have this season will make them more interpretatively/choreographically stronger if/when they return to a more "mainstream" or "accessible" program next season. Part of V/M's huge success this season is in part because their programs are both very accessible and because they make you feel things. There's a lot of mass appeal to both Prince and Sam Smith, and V/M make that mass appeal even better by adding in a lot of subtlety and nuance (much like P/C did last season in "To Build a Home"). I expect something more in that vein for P/C next season.

I want to see both teams bring the sex for the SD. P/C's Paso Doble wasn't a high scorer for them, but they brought the sex. I think they can bring it to the rhumba too, as I expect V/M will. :love:

alain06fr

On the Ice

Well, in this kind of competition, P/C will be gold medal for sure and they don't even need the escargots de Bourgogne. They have enough stuff from Clermont-Ferrand & Auvergne: Tripoux, Potée Auvergnate, Aligot, Cheese soup, truffade, Paté of potato, lens from Le Puy, florgnade and of course Saint Nectaire, Bleu d'Auvergne and Cantal cheeses :biggrin:
I am really sorry for Tessa, Scott, Maia and Alex but with poutine and Big Mac, they have no chance ;)

maya1985

On the Ice
Next season is going to depend on the programs they have. This is P/C's least-acclaimed FD - not as beloved/praised generally like Mozart and To Build a Home :)love::love:). I think stretching into something more avant garde like they have this season will make them more interpretatively/choreographically stronger if/when they return to a more "mainstream" or "accessible" program next season. Part of V/M's huge success this season is in part because their programs are both very accessible and because they make you feel things. There's a lot of mass appeal to both Prince and Sam Smith, and V/M make that mass appeal even better by adding in a lot of subtlety and nuance (much like P/C did last season in "To Build a Home"). I expect something more in that vein for P/C next season.

The point difference between V/M and P/C and S/S at the world championship will be important.

Personal opinion on the free: the free of P/C is perhaps less general public than the free of V/M but it is much more interesting, with an assumed choice of a music more "avant-garde". For having seen it 4 times in real, the emotion that releases this program is incredible. This free will remain even if unfortunately it will certainly bring them less success than the previous ones. There is one program like that, no one else like him. This program may not be very successful with judges but with the public yes!
I find it unfortunate that the choice of musicians or singers is important, I will not see a concert when I see a dance competition (I do not particularly like P/C music, it is not " My cup of tea " but I still have goose bumps at the end of their program).
Sorry for my approximate English:scratch2:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

canadian bacon and poutine > snails.... :roll9:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Well, in this kind of competition, P/C will be gold medal for sure and they don't even need the escargots de Bourgogne. They have enough stuff from Clermont-Ferrand & Auvergne: Tripoux, Potée Auvergnate, Aligot, Cheese soup, truffade, Paté of potato, lens from Le Puy, florgnade and of course Saint Nectaire, Bleu d'Auvergne and Cantal cheeses :biggrin:
I am really sorry for Tessa, Scott, Maia and Alex but with poutine and Big Mac, they have no chance ;)

have fun -- france

italie

swiss

douanes

LOL.. there's a whole series... and honestly... i am a cheese freak... quebec's cheese doesn't need to :eek:: it's great.... now, if you want to talk about wine... you win that one easily

Last edited:

maddiesparks

Rinkside
I just feel bad for all the French skaters that have to deal with this man. I bet Romain grabbed PC and ran as far away as he could... yet I'm sure Didier still finds ways to exert control over in Montreal.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Can someone explain to me Didier's relationship with Muriel Zazoui? I heard that he pretty much is trying to make her irrelevant and obsolete. That's sad if it's true. I really miss her style of ice dance today, and she and Anissina/Peizerat are the reasons why I'm such a die hard fan of ice dance. Before I saw Anissina/Peizerat at the 2002 Olympics, I never really knew ice dance existed (I was a young fan back then). Did Romain Haguenauer leave her because he wanted to take more control over students and Dubreuil/Lauzon offering him a place in Montreal was the perfect opportunity for him?

Last edited:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Can someone explain to me Didier's relationship with Muriel Zazoui? I heard that he pretty much is trying to make her irrelevant and obsolete. That's sad if it's true. I really miss her style of ice dance today, and she and Anissina/Peizerat are the reasons why I'm such a die hard fan of ice dance. Before I saw Anissina/Peizerat at the 2002 Olympics, I never really knew ice dance existed (I was a young fan back then). Did Romain Haguenauer leave her because he wanted to take more control over students and Dubreuil/Lauzon offering him a place in Montreal was the perfect opportunity for him?

That was more or less my impression. From an article with IceNetwork in Dec 2014:
The coach has his own unique perspective on ice dancing, the discipline which he has devoted many years to. During final months of the last season, he became concerned about the organization of the training process, the planning, the goals and atmosphere that had developed in his home city of Lyon. In July, the 38-year-old realized that he needed a radical change to open up new horizons for professional growth. Fortune smiled upon him during the summer holidays, when he was invited by Canadian coaches Patrice Lauzon and Marie-France Dubreuil to work together in Montreal.