Help with replacing MK Visions and boots | Golden Skate

Help with replacing MK Visions and boots

adultskaterwoes

Rinkside
I have no life left in my MK Visions and need to switch to another blade. I loved the Visions, they were excellent for spins and stable on jumps. I’m sad they’re discontinued. My old knees and back are no longer what they used to be, so aside from the occasional single lutz, my jumping days are over and I no longer need the aggressive toe picks of something like a Phantom. Is going to the Coronation Ace advisable? Some of the folks at my rink are on Gold Seals and that looks tempting (the higher stanchion height and blade profile and less aggressive toe pick) but will it really make a difference if I’m mostly spinning and doing edgework? Seems like the CA will be just as good and it has the same rocker size as my Visions so the adjustment will be better.

As for boots, any companies doing double split widths aside from Harlick & Sp-Teri? I’m in custom SP-Teris for my duck feet and going to meet with them again for a dance boot/blade since I want to start testing pattern dances but wanted to see what other options were out there. I am not interested in Aura since I like a more classic look to my boot. I like how Risport looks but not sure they can accommodate an A heel and D toe box.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I have no life left in my MK Visions and need to switch to another blade. I loved the Visions, they were excellent for spins and stable on jumps. I’m sad they’re discontinued. My old knees and back are no longer what they used to be, so aside from the occasional single lutz, my jumping days are over and I no longer need the aggressive toe picks of something like a Phantom. Is going to the Coronation Ace advisable? Some of the folks at my rink are on Gold Seals and that looks tempting (the higher stanchion height and blade profile and less aggressive toe pick) but will it really make a difference if I’m mostly spinning and doing edgework? Seems like the CA will be just as good and it has the same rocker size as my Visions so the adjustment will be better.

As for boots, any companies doing double split widths aside from Harlick & Sp-Teri? I’m in custom SP-Teris for my duck feet and going to meet with them again for a dance boot/blade since I want to start testing pattern dances but wanted to see what other options were out there. I am not interested in Aura since I like a more classic look to my boot. I like how Risport looks but not sure they can accommodate an A heel and D toe box.
So do you want a freestyle blade or a dance blade?

adultskaterwoes

Rinkside
I’m looking for a freestyle blade for my freestyle boots. And suggestions aside from Sp Teri/Harlick for some dance boots. I’ll likely go with SP Teri but just wanted to see if there were other options for customs or if those two and Aura are the only ones. I think I’m good with the dance blade, my dance coach recommended the Ultima Apex dance.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
If you've loved the MK Visions, maybe go with the MK Professional rather than the Coronation Ace? I think that's what I would do.

My feet are considerably wider at the ball than the heel, but also narrow at the actual toes. I really liked Risport until my arthritic feet swelled with medication side effects and I'm now in Jackson wide fitting which are lovely.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
If you've loved the MK Visions, maybe go with the MK Professional rather than the Coronation Ace? I think that's what I would do.

My feet are considerably wider at the ball than the heel, but also narrow at the actual toes. I really liked Risport until my arthritic feet swelled with medication side effects and I'm now in Jackson wide fitting which are lovely.
I was also going to suggest MK Pro if they said they wanted a freestyle blade LOL

adultskaterwoes

Rinkside
Thanks guys, I was looking at the MK Pro and it’s backordered in my size right now. They look to be essentially the same blade as the CA but the CA is in stock. Are their discernible differences between the blades, is it worth waiting for the MK Pro?

Are Risports and Jacksons fully customizable? I’m sadly not a candidate for stock boots with my weird feet. I think off the shelf Risport doesn’t split widths and Jackson does a single split (C width, B heel) but I need a double split width.

Last edited:

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Thanks guys, I was looking at the MK Pro and it’s backordered in my size right now. They look to be essentially the same blade as the CA but the CA is in stock. Are their discernible differences between the blades, is it worth waiting for the MK Pro?

Are Risports and Jacksons fully customizable? I’m sadly not a candidate for stock boots with my weird feet. I think off the shelf Risport doesn’t split widths and Jackson does a single split (C width, B heel) but I need a double split width.
Yes, Jackson has a range of ways to customize their boots. You can go full out customs, or you can customize certain aspects of stock boots (change of tongue, heel, multiple split width changes). A single change of a stock boot (to get the double split width you need) should be an extra $50 on top of the regular price (unless they've raised the prices recently).

adultskaterwoes

Rinkside
Yes, Jackson has a range of ways to customize their boots. You can go full out customs, or you can customize certain aspects of stock boots (change of tongue, heel, multiple split width changes). A single change of a stock boot (to get the double split width you need) should be an extra $50 on top of the regular price (unless they've raised the prices recently).
Thank you! I will check them out!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Depending on what risport boot you want off the shelf yes, they do split widths. Jackson does as well, I've had a B/A split in the past.

spinningdancer

Rinkside
I have a like new Vision I'd like to get rid of, but I don't know if it would work for you. A few years ago, a skate shop in Houston was stocking them still, and I ordered on since wanted to try out the Vision, but ended up not liking it as much as my Phantom, and bought another Phantom instead. Not sure if the Houston skate shop is still stocking them, since last time I checked, their website had very limited sizes available, and I know the ones they had in stock a few years ago were special order that MK manufactured just for them.

As for boots, I have three pairs of fully custom Harlicks and have found them to be hit or miss. My first pair was great, second was ok, and third weas comfortable enough, but they didn't function properly, even after having adjustments done by Harlick. I was fitted for all three directly at Harlick. After some years of hesitation, I made the switch to Edea very recently, and I don't think I'll ever go back to Harlick after this. The Edeas were about 1/3 the cost of the Harlicks, and they are much easier to shape. If you need an A heel and D toe, Edea may or may not work for you though. However, there is no standard for width, and one brand's A may be another brand's B, and another brand's AA.

adultskaterwoes

Rinkside
I have a like new Vision I'd like to get rid of, but I don't know if it would work for you. A few years ago, a skate shop in Houston was stocking them still, and I ordered on since wanted to try out the Vision, but ended up not liking it as much as my Phantom, and bought another Phantom instead. Not sure if the Houston skate shop is still stocking them, since last time I checked, their website had very limited sizes available, and I know the ones they had in stock a few years ago were special order that MK manufactured just for them.

As for boots, I have three pairs of fully custom Harlicks and have found them to be hit or miss. My first pair was great, second was ok, and third weas comfortable enough, but they didn't function properly, even after having adjustments done by Harlick. I was fitted for all three directly at Harlick. After some years of hesitation, I made the switch to Edea very recently, and I don't think I'll ever go back to Harlick after this. The Edeas were about 1/3 the cost of the Harlicks, and they are much easier to shape. If you need an A heel and D toe, Edea may or may not work for you though. However, there is no standard for width, and one brand's A may be another brand's B, and another brand's AA.
Is it a 10 1/2 by any chance? If so, please let me know because I’d be very interested. I tried looking for them online and found one site that said they had them but when I placed the order, they emailed and said they didn’t.

Harlicks were my first pair of skates too. I wasn’t a fan as well and they were even heavier than my SP-Teris. The SP-Teri boots that George made me are great but I just wanted to poke around and see what my other options were since George isn’t at the factory any more. Plus, I’m intrigued by all of these lighter weight boots everyone has been getting at my rink. My sharpener says he can use my boots to do his weight lifting exercises!

adultskaterwoes

Rinkside
Depending on what risport boot you want off the shelf yes, they do split widths. Jackson does as well, I've had a B/A split in the past.
Yes, many do the single split width but not many offer the double split width. It looks like Jackson can do it, which I am interested in exploring. My fitter is saying Risport can’t but I emailed them directly today to check if they can in the style I’m interested in. I wouldn’t be opposed to trying just a single split width B/C and maybe I can punch out the toe box and figure out the heel. I’m interested in the RF3, dance coach said he’s got a couple of folks who are just testing and not competing wearing that boot and they like it.

spinningdancer

Rinkside
Is it a 10 1/2 by any chance? If so, please let me know because I’d be very interested. I tried looking for them online and found one site that said they had them but when I placed the order, they emailed and said they didn’t.

Harlicks were my first pair of skates too. I wasn’t a fan as well and they were even heavier than my SP-Teris. The SP-Teri boots that George made me are great but I just wanted to poke around and see what my other options were since George isn’t at the factory any more. Plus, I’m intrigued by all of these lighter weight boots everyone has been getting at my rink. My sharpener says he can use my boots to do his weight lifting exercises!
I have a 9.5 blade, so way too small for you. However, I just checked the Houston store's website, and it looks like they still have 10.25 Vision blades in stock. If you're ok with sizing down by a quarter inch, those might work for you. Usually, you can size down by a quarter, and sometimes even up by a quarter, and make it work. When I ordered mine, I called the shop up and placed the order over the phone, so I'd recommend doing that if you're interested, just to make sure they're in stock and all that. Unless this is the same shop you already found.

Harlicks are still pretty heavy lol. You can get lighter weight options these days, but it adds to the cost. My new Edeas are noticeably lighter, and since I was already paying Harlick well over a thousand dollars, I didn't want to pay even more just to shave off a little weight.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yes, many do the single split width but not many offer the double split width. It looks like Jackson can do it, which I am interested in exploring. My fitter is saying Risport can’t but I emailed them directly today to check if they can in the style I’m interested in. I wouldn’t be opposed to trying just a single split width B/C and maybe I can punch out the toe box and figure out the heel. I’m interested in the RF3, dance coach said he’s got a couple of folks who are just testing and not competing wearing that boot and they like it.
If I was going to suggest a Risport for your needs it would be RF3 or Royal Pro.

desertskates

Medalist
I have a 9.5 blade, so way too small for you. However, I just checked the Houston store's website, and it looks like they still have 10.25 Vision blades in stock. If you're ok with sizing down by a quarter inch, those might work for you. Usually, you can size down by a quarter, and sometimes even up by a quarter, and make it work. When I ordered mine, I called the shop up and placed the order over the phone, so I'd recommend doing that if you're interested, just to make sure they're in stock and all that. Unless this is the same shop you already found.

Harlicks are still pretty heavy lol. You can get lighter weight options these days, but it adds to the cost. My new Edeas are noticeably lighter, and since I was already paying Harlick well over a thousand dollars, I didn't want to pay even more just to shave off a little weight.
Ooooohhh! If they were 9.25 you'd have a taker here for sure. Sizing up won't work for me, so my quest continues. Luckily, I've got quite a bit of life left on mine :)

sk8forlife

Rinkside

Replying to the original post about blades. Like others, I would recommend the MK Professional blades over the CA. Always find that staying in the same family (MK to MK, Wilson to Wilson, etc.) seems to work best for skaters. Let me know if you need help with ordering them...I saw you were having a difficult time finding them in the size you need but I am able to order this blade, new, in both the standard and the Lite version. I wouldn't recommend the Lite version since you are coming from a traditional Vision blade but wanted you to know they are available.

leia1979

Rinkside
I have both the CA and MK Pro in 9.75". The MK Pro is about 1/4" longer from toe pick to tail. Personally, I prefer the MK Pro for that extra stability at the back. I kept feeling like I was going to fall backwards in CA. The spin rocker felt really far back in the CA, too. I've always had MKs before, so maybe I should have stuck with them in the first place, but I also changed boots, so it's not a true direct comparison.

I took these side-by-side photos for another person debating the two models.

adultskaterwoes

Rinkside
I have both the CA and MK Pro in 9.75". The MK Pro is about 1/4" longer from toe pick to tail. Personally, I prefer the MK Pro for that extra stability at the back. I kept feeling like I was going to fall backwards in CA. The spin rocker felt really far back in the CA, too. I've always had MKs before, so maybe I should have stuck with them in the first place, but I also changed boots, so it's not a true direct comparison.

I took these side-by-side photos for another person debating the two models.
Thank you for these photos. Are these both heel to toe mounts? That’s quite a difference in the tail length! Almost looks like the CA is a dance blade. I haven’t taken the CAs out for a spin yet but plan to do so this coming week. I have placed an order for the MK Pros after reading all the comments and just waiting on them to be shipped out since they’re backordered in my size, I’m going to see if I take a liking to the CAs and if not, I’ll have the Pros waiting for me. I did have to get a blade for now since I let entirely too much time go before ordering and my Visions can’t be sharpened anymore.

adultskaterwoes

Rinkside
Replying to the original post about blades. Like others, I would recommend the MK Professional blades over the CA. Always find that staying in the same family (MK to MK, Wilson to Wilson, etc.) seems to work best for skaters. Let me know if you need help with ordering them...I saw you were having a difficult time finding them in the size you need but I am able to order this blade, new, in both the standard and the Lite version. I wouldn't recommend the Lite version since you are coming from a traditional Vision blade but wanted you to know they are available.
Thanks, I did end up placing an order for the MK Pros after reading the comments, I’m hoping they ship out soon if the CAs dont work out. I have received the CAs and plan to try them out in the next day or so. I ordered the regular ones but just out of curiosity, why do you not recommend the lite ones?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks, I did end up placing an order for the MK Pros after reading the comments, I’m hoping they ship out soon if the CAs dont work out. I have received the CAs and plan to try them out in the next day or so. I ordered the regular ones but just out of curiosity, why do you not recommend the lite ones?
I'll take this one. One- because you are used to a traditional blade, and Two-unless you are an elite competitive skater they aren't going to do much for you, 3-They make catch blade anything ridiculously annoying.