How to watch US Nats in Canada? | Golden Skate

How to watch US Nats in Canada?

Lesly

Spectator
How does an expat watch US Figure Skating Championships in Jan 2023 San Jose next month if NBC Peacock doesn't provide service in Canada???

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As we get closer, the criminal elements around here (I say this very fondly) will find all sorts of shady links to bootleg livestreams originating from China and such. It's sometimes useful to have a VPN. I use the free Opera browser, which has VPN capabilities embedded.

If you're going to live in Canada, then you really have to get up on these things, because our Canadian GSers are WORLD CLASS in defeating geo-blocking.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
As we get closer, the criminal elements around here (I say this very fondly) will find all sorts of shady links to bootleg livestreams originating from China and such. It's sometimes useful to have a VPN. I use the free Opera browser, which has VPN capabilities embedded.

If you're going to live in Canada, then you really have to get up on these things, because our Canadian GSers are WORLD CLASS in defeating geo-blocking.

Actually, for most competitions, Canadian Gsers do not need to defeat geo-blocking... We simply stream it on CBC (and youtube isn't geoblocked for the most part for ISU events for us) ... they show all GPs and much more... we are world class for paying heavy taxes to get these things for "free" :)

Regarding US Nationals though, indeed, better get a VPN as Nationals from other countries is not going to be available on CBC.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I think last year, they actually had it on TVā€¦ or did we have some round-about stream? It was live, I am pretty positive.

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think last year (or was it the year before that?) I was watching US Nationals on Japanese TV with an app even though I'm an American just so I could avoid listening to Johnny and Tara's commentary...šŸ¤£

So perhaps Japanese TV could be an option.

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Does Canada get the USA cable network? I'm sure you guys get NBC.

TV coverage for Nationals in Eastern time (subject to change) says:

January 26th Pairs Short 7-9 pm USA
January 26th Women Short 10 pm - 12 am USA
January 27th Rhythm Dance 5-7 pm USA
January 27th Women Free 8-11 pm NBC
January 28th Men Short 2:30-4:30 pm NBC
January 28th Free Dance 8-10 pm USA
January 29th Men Free 3-6 pm NBC
February 5th Exhibition 2-4 pm NBC

This is from the USFS site... I'm guessing the one that just says Free Dance may include the Pairs Free which isn't listed. In the past they always packaged the two finals together. Also NBC usually shows parts of the Women short and Men short during the first hour of their coverage for the freeskates.

Looking at the actual schedule for Nationals though and a lot of the times don't match - however I guess a lot could be tape delayed. For instance the rhythm dance is scheduled for the 26th, and the men's short is scheduled for the 27th but both listed as being shown the next day. I guess we have to wait and see if that changes. I do have Peacock but we all know about the lack of replays so the TV showings are quite important to me!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think last year, they actually had it on TVā€¦ or did we have some round-about stream? It was live, I am pretty positive.
Last year the ISU had a stream of it with Ben Agosto commentating. Itā€™s been speculated that this is because it was an Olympic year.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think last year (or was it the year before that?) I was watching US Nationals on Japanese TV with an app even though I'm an American just so I could avoid listening to Johnny and Tara's commentary...šŸ¤£

I remember someone in the comp threads said the Japanese commentators were crying during/after Gracieā€™s short. I never found find it on YouTube though.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

The Japanese feed was just the ISU feed with their commentary. If you speak Japanese thatā€™s great. If you want English commentary the ISU stream is better