How will history view Sasha? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

How will history view Sasha?

Anthony, it's funny about Yuka Sato. When I watched the 1994 world championships I though Surya Bonaly was totally robbed. The judges must be racists, and blind ones at that. Surya was totally right to refuse to get on the podium. She should have thrown her medal in the trash like Irina!

Later on, when I actually took the time to learn something about skating, well ... you see whose picture I have as an avatar, LOL.

Anyway, the way in which Sasha might turn out to be similar to Yuka is that they both might be better remembered for their pro careers than for their adventures as amateurs.

(BTW, Yuka and Jason sent me a big autographed picture last year, after I sent them some music that I thought would be good for them. They didn't use the music, but they sent me a picture, LOL.)

Back on topic, about Sasha wanting to "change society," when I was 21 I wanted to change society, too. Granted, this was in the 1960s when there was a lot of that going around.

Still, IMHO all young people ought to want to "change society." If they don't do it, who will?

Mathman :)

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Anthony, it's funny about Yuka Sato. When I watched the 1994 world championships I though Surya Bonaly was totally robbed. The judges must be racists, and blind ones at that. Surya was totally right to refuse to get on the podium. She should have thrown her medal in the trash like Irina!

Later on, when I actually took the time to learn something about skating, well ... you see whose picture I have as an avatar, LOL.[/QUOTE]

Ha! That was my exact reaction to - 1994 was the first year that i really started watching skating and i was all about the jumps then...now its different, just like you!

Mathman said:
Anyway, the way in which Sasha might turn out to be similar to Yuka is that they both might be better remembered for their pro careers than for their adventures as amateurs.

Oh ok, now that i do agree with. Sasha's just not happy on the competitive ice and i agree i think she'll be a much better show skater. Though i will say this i saw her live in show in 2002 and wasn't that impressed, though to be fair her skating has imrpoved a lot since then so i'm happy to be proved wrong.

Mathman said:
(BTW, Yuka and Jason sent me a big autographed picture last year, after I sent them some music that I thought would be good for them. They didn't use the music, but they sent me a picture, LOL.)

Wow, how cool is that?! I might start sending my fave skaters music choices for them!!

Ant

skatergirlaj

On the Ice
I know what i am going to say i will be in the minority...but..I sincerely hope that Sasha doesn't give up now.Things didn't pan out for her for at Worlds or at the Olys. ok...BUT I believe she CAN win.And I really hope she doesn't give up right now when she is so close. And I hope she will be rememberly fondly for her contributions to FS. She has got to be one of the most graceful and beautiful skaters to watch I've seen in a long long time. And when she's doing well,the press loves her and when she isn't they kick her when she's down,which is one thing about media that i absolutely HATE,there is no compassion for a person when they are down.But it happens to everyone,not just Sasha..anyway,I hope she doesn't give up.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
scatterak said:
What was with her tidbit at World's where she wouldn't stop talking on how she was going to change society. wtf? "Society always looks at bad things!" "Society sucks!" "I'm going to change society!" "Society this blah blah blah."
I happen to agree with her comment. She didn't start the conversation, Peter did. He asked for a playback of her lutz (I think) and wanted to know from Sasha what she did wrong. That's when she said Society always looks at the negative. I agree and many of the comments on this board convinced me of that too. I am sorry that you see that as a bad thing............and sometimes Society does suck!! My words, not Sasha's.

Dee

skatergirlaj

On the Ice
Dee4707 said:
I happen to agree with her comment. She didn't start the conversation, Peter did. He asked for a playback of her lutz (I think) and wanted to know from Sasha what she did wrong. That's when she said Society always looks at the negative. I agree and many of the comments on this board convinced me of that too. I am sorry that you see that as a bad thing............and sometimes Society does suck!! My words, not Sasha's.

Dee

I too agree with Sasha, I think sometimes people focus on the negative to make themselves feel superior or feel better in some way. It's like looking at the glass as half empty rather than half full.What good does it do.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I give props to Sasha for "getting on" Peter about his negative remarks.

*side note* we should collaberate on a list of "better questions" to send to ESPN for their commentators to ask skaters after a skate that wasn't what that skater hoped for. Peter is among the WORST at this IMO, and that is for all skaters who disappointed themselves - not just Sasha.

I hope Sasha's eligible career is not over yet. But if it is, I believe she will be remembered favorably (at least by me!) for the special qualities she has brought to the ice. I will never forget her spins with the many wonderful positions. (low to the ice on the sits, good layback positions, flexible I and Y type positions and those EVER so pointed toes). I will never forget her spiral positions. (many, flexible, gorgeous line and back, extension, and ever so pointed toes). I will never forget her Dark Eyes and Maleguena SP's, in particular. Especially the versions of those where she was the most "on" and just had that fire.

She has an awesome collection of medals - and I'm grateful to those who have pointed out her consistent record of podium placements. I know she is disappointed about missing some Gold's that she might have gotten under different circumstances, her record is FAR from anything to sneeze at.

I hope that years from now, she is remembered in a similar way to skaters like Janet Lynn - for what she BROUGHT - not for what she didn't do.

DG

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Nice post doggygirl. Sasha has won a number of medals so she must be
doing something right. I also hope she does not retire and comes back next
season rested and ready to compete for herself and her fans.

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
Lanie said:
She will be known to most casual skating fans and probably the media as a choker.

To fans and others who know figure skating, probably a beautiful skater who just didn't have the competitiveness to keep it together.

How do you know she will be known to 'most casual fans' as a choker?

Just asking the 'casual fans' among my own circle most just say 'she's gorgeous' a beautiful skater to watch'. As casual fans they generally don't seem to care about titles. As one guy put it 'I'll watch some during the Olympics-MAYBE. Mostly I think she's hot.'

I will always remember her as one of the most stunningly sublime skaters to ever grace the ice. I don't care about titles as much as I care about these tough kids like Sasha who fall, get up and try again over and over again. I will always admire her for that.

soogar

Record Breaker
I wish there was a pro circuit for Sasha to retire to. I'm not a huge Sasha fan but watching her lose Worlds was heartbreaking and just confirms that Sasha really doesn't have the stomach for competing. I preferred it when skaters would retire at their peak and then go on to better things on the pro circuit. Now it seems that the only choice Sasha has is to stay eligible and I would really hate to see her decline on the eligible ranks when she could explore her artistic talents as a professional.

kyla2

Final Flight
If Sasha Retires...

If Sasha retires I will remember the first time I saw her skate against my favorite, Michelle Kwan. My first thought was good God this kid is something special and my next thought was that she was big trouble for Michelle. From what I hear, that was what Frank Carroll thought when he first saw her skate as well. I will also remember her valiant efforts to be perfect and the beauty of her skating. I have nothing but good feelings about Sasha.

orchid

On the Ice
At the point that Sasha would retire, in 6 months from then, I wouldn't think about or compare any other skater to her. Unless of course, some TV commentor conjures up her name.

Remember how quickly Nicole Bobek's fantastic spiral position disappeared from coment once Kwan displayed hers?

I have to think those who were die-hard Bobek fans had the same emotional let down, that those Cohen die-hard fans are having /or will.

Kelly22

Rinkside
Although their records may be similar, I don't think Bobek was in the same league as Cohen.

I don't have anything against Sasha. When I first saw her compete (at Junior level?) I was absolutely wow'd, couldn't wait to see her mature. But she hit a wall and it's a shame. As far as the "it" factor, her skating is exquisite and she has displayed moments of skating genius. But it goes beyond the rink, it is something deeper, that I can't articulate. She isn't alone, not all top skaters have "it". Just one person's opinion...others feel differently and that's okay.

tarotx

On the Ice
Kelly22 said:
Although their records may be similar, I don't think Bobek was in the same league as Cohen.

I don't have anything against Sasha. When I first saw her compete (at Junior level?) I was absolutely wow'd, couldn't wait to see her mature. But she hit a wall and it's a shame. As far as the "it" factor, her skating is exquisite and she has displayed moments of skating genius. But it goes beyond the rink, it is something deeper, that I can't articulate. She isn't alone, not all top skaters have "it". Just one person's opinion...others feel differently and that's okay.

Sasha and Nicole don't have similar records. I'm sorry but no. :no: Nicole had one really good year. She was even more inconsistant than Sasha and much much much more of a wasted potential. She was powerful like Irina and artistic like Michelle :no:

azsk8fan

Rinkside
Frau Muller said:
Title of this topic: How will history view Sasha?

Short answer: As a spoiled, arrogant brat who had a good leg extension thanks to Pilates training. :cool:

Next question?

Sasha to Peter Carruthers: "I'm here to change society."

You have definitely hit the nail on the head!! My sentiments exactly plus the fact that she looks absolutely miserable to be on the ice - how is that to be considered 'enjoyable' or 'pleasant to watch' by anyone is beyond me. I like to see people who skate with joy and the devil be damned about their 'extension'.

azsk8fan

Rinkside
Ptichka said:
I agree with Mathman. Chances are even if Sasha retires from eligible competition she'll skate with SOI or at least COI. In that case, her future will be entirely in her hands. I'd say that Sasha's resume is already better than Yuka Sato's - while Yuka did become a world champ in '94, Sasha has an Olympic medal and not 1 but 3 World medals. And Yuka Sato is not forgotten!

I can't see COI or SOI offering her a job unless she's willing to do more than just skate around and do spirals - she's gonna have to jump at some point in the program, unlike her so-called exhibition at Worlds - I don't need to see a ton of jumps but one or two would be nice.

azsk8fan

Rinkside
JonnyCoop said:
You know, Janet Lynn never won anything big either, but 30+ years later she is regarded by many as the greatest free skater of all time. Yes, Lynn won 5 Nationals compared with Sasha's 1, but then again Lynn didn't have a Michelle Kwan to have to go up against on that level, either. And as a matter of fact, one of the actual highlights of Lynn's career was falling on a sit spin -- and then smiling.

By saying this, I am not really comparing Sasha to Janet; I know that that would be a potential landmine. However, I've never actually seen Janet Lynn skate, and yet her reputation precedes her. Bottom line is, I am hoping that a decade or two down the road Sasha will be remembered for the beautiful stuff she did on the ice and not for being able to come through at all the big moments.

I think people remember Janet Lynn fondly because the memory of her skating is one of pure joy. She skated and showed her love of skating every time she took to the ice - and for that she will always be remembered. Sasha, otoh, has no joy - to her it's about getting the titles, probably to secure her future and her money making capabilities. I don't think Janet Lynn had any of those expectations - she just loved skating and it certainly showed.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
azsk8fan said:
I think people remember Janet Lynn fondly because the memory of her skating is one of pure joy. She skated and showed her love of skating every time she took to the ice - and for that she will always be remembered. Sasha, otoh, has no joy - to her it's about getting the titles, probably to secure her future and her money making capabilities. I don't think Janet Lynn had any of those expectations - she just loved skating and it certainly showed.

I realize you were responding to someone else, but since I also mentioned Janet's name.... I didn't mean that I would remember Sasha years from now for the same qualities that I remember Janet Lynn for (and the qualities you mention are the Janet qualities I had in mind). Sasha has different special qualities for me. Janet's "nemesis" was also different. For Janet it was figures that kept her from more Gold. For Sasha it is (so far) LP mistakes that have kept her from more Gold. But I do believe Sasha will still be remembered for her special stuff, as Janet is for her special stuff.

DG

Peggy

On the Ice
orchid said:
. Unless of course, some TV commentor conjures up her name.QUOTE]

As Terry G. says, Sasha can do things on the ice that no one else can. She will always be the artistic standard and the commentators will compare skaters to her from now on.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Peggy said:
orchid said:
. Unless of course, some TV commentor conjures up her name.QUOTE]

As Terry G. says, Sasha can do things on the ice that no one else can. She will always be the artistic standard and the commentators will compare skaters to her from now on.

Do commentators in the US really bring up skaters of the past that much in their commentary? I would have thought once these skaters retire, the comparisons are always to peers and competitors...why would a commentator commentating on 2010 Olympics say "that leg exntension in the sprial is nowhere near as high as Sasha's was four years ago" when all that really matters is how high it is compared Guenivere GoldSkater who is actually competing at the 2010 Olympics??

Maybe one comment in passing if someone is like another skater.

Ant

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
antmanb said:
Peggy said:
Do commentators in the US really bring up skaters of the past that much in their commentary?
Ant

The commentators in the US tend to talk about all KINDS of irrelevant things - especially DURING the performances!! ;)