Ice Dance - Compulsory Dance - Results | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance - Compulsory Dance - Results

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
attyfan said:
Does anyone know of the citizenship status of any of the teams (other than Tanith and Gregory, of course)
I think Sergei would be OK. I believe he's been in the US for a few years now, and he is, I assume, married to an American citizen (Rebecca).

Zavozin should get his citizenship about the same time as Petukhov.

Everyone else appears to be OK.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Wow. Stiegler & Magerovsky in 3rd? Goodwin/Bommentre in 5th and Matthews/Zavozin in 6th? I wonder if mistakes were made.... And where are Galler-Rabanowitz & Mitchell?

I find it very interesting, though, that with Dance tending to be a discipline wherein results to about 7th place can often be highly predictable, it is the US Nationals, of all competitions, that usually provide results that often raise an eyebrow or two..... I'm just glad that after all these lean years, we are finally getting some depth in this category. It's long overdue.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
attyfan said:
Does anyone know of the citizenship status of any of the teams (other than Tanith and Gregory, of course)

according to Melissa's mom next Monday, Denis will be a US Citizen!!!!!!!!!!! :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
JonnyCoop said:
Wow. Stiegler & Magerovsky in 3rd? Goodwin/Bommentre in 5th and Matthews/Zavozin in 6th? I wonder if mistakes were made.... And where are Galler-Rabanowitz & Mitchell?

I read that G-R & Mitchell withdrew a few weeks ago due to injury. I forget what was the nature of that injury, but it may be on the USFSA.org website somewhere.

Last edited:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
"The first speck of dance I ever did was with freestyle blades,"

What did Tiffany Stiegler mean by that? Is there a difference in blades between figure skating and ice dancing?

Also, why isn't her partner still skating with his wife, with whom he placed 9th at last year's nationals? Inquiring minds want to know.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I am very excited to see Tiffany skate.........finally, an American ice dancing team that I am actually anxious to see skate.........I thought that would never happen....42

skatingfan5

On the Ice
RealtorGal said:
What did Tiffany Stiegler mean by that? Is there a difference in blades between figure skating and ice dancing?

Also, why isn't her partner still skating with his wife, with whom he placed 9th at last year's nationals? Inquiring minds want to know.
About the blades, I can answer -- yes, there is a difference between free skating and ice dance blades -- and there are/were figure blades. The dance blade is shorter than the freestyle blade -- and the picks are smaller too. Dance boots are also different -- cut lower and not so stiff. About Magerovsky's wife -- I know nothing -- which isn't surprising since I know next to nothing about him.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
RealtorGal said:
There is a difference in the blades... lengthwise as well as design... at least I think that's what it said in Figure Skating for Dummies :laugh:

shine

Record Breaker
People didn't even expect Tiffany Stiegler & partner to pass all their senior tests in such a short time, much less making it to Nationals this year. And now, there they are, in 3rd place after the CD! Has Tiffany finally found the discpline that her talent belongs to? :love: I certainly HOPE SO! :love: This also guarantees that at least their OD would be shown!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
the feeling in the crowd is that while they did well in the compulsaries, they'll go down in the standings in teh other parts of the competition as he supposedly does the harder footwork while she has the "easier" stuff... I have absolutely no clue if that's true

I think what really helped them is that she is SO expressive...

all I remember is talking with Melissa Gregory's mom and asking her what CDs were for and she said she still has no idea :laugh: she said the judges really can't ever make up their mind on what is important. It was funny... :laugh: oh well the ODs and the FDs will be more entertaining... and there will be different music! :laugh: :rock:

PAskate

On the Ice
SailorGalaxia518 said:
3. Morgan Matthews, SC of New York
Maxim Zavozin, SC of New York 1.2

4.4 4.8 4.7 5.0 4.6 5.0 4.5 4.7 4.9
4.9 5.2 5.0 5.3 4.8 5.4 4.9 4.8 5.1

9.3 10.0 9.7 10.3 9.4 10.4 9.4 9.5 10.0

3 3 3 2 3 2 3 3 3

Ouch :cry:

Word from her family is that they were told that there was a technical error in the dance in one of the corners. Hopefully that will mean that they will see better marks in the OD and FD.

PAskate

On the Ice
RealtorGal said:

Perhaps this partnership was seen as more "rewarding" - at least there is talk in the arena along these lines.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Tonichelle said:
all I remember is talking with Melissa Gregory's mom and asking her what CDs were for and she said she still has no idea :laugh:

She ain't the only one. I can't believe they still do the CDs in this day and age, and quite honestly, if you're only gonna have one (there IS only ONE now, right?) then don't even bother. IMHO one of the reasons why over the years dance standings tend to stay more or less the same from start to finish, year to year, is BECAUSE of the CDs. Let's face it -- Dance is very difficult to judge, and there's a lot of judges out there who don't know how to judge it. So if you've got 6 or 7 couples on the same level doing the exact same dance, of COURSE the tendency is going to be to rank them same order they were last year just to make it easy. I believe if they just started with the OD, we'd be seeing more movement and a few significant alterations to the international rankings.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
JonnyCoop said:
I believe if they just started with the OD, we'd be seeing more movement and a few significant alterations to the international rankings.
CDs don't count for that much. I team can absolutely bomb at CDs, yet still do well overall. Also, I think CDs are the best way to really compare the skaters, as they can't hide behind choreography that masks there shortcomings.