Ice skating confessions | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Ice skating confessions

Lucy25

Final Flight
- Butyrskaya's ankles look as if they might snap any second.
I have always thought the same thing. Her skates always looked huge and about to fall off those tiny ankles.

About "Pasha" - I read not too long ago that she has gone back to her real name. She says motherhood has matured her and that "Pasha" is not part of her anymore. That said, I have NEVER gotten why she is at all popular. I never saw her as a goosd skater or a diva or anything but annoying.

I confess that I am baffled, but pleased, that less popular skaters have such a fan base. Just to name one, I see nothing at all to like about Elena Liashenko, but she has this huge fan base. It amazes me.

And speaking of Plushy and his looks, I confess that he is just about the only Russian man I have ever seen that I do not find attractive. For some reason I find Russian men positively yummy, but not him.

I confess to thinking Sarah Hughes' Fosse catsuit looked dreadful on her and only emphasized her poor posture.

Last edited:
Lucy, about Elena Liashenko, I never got much out of her skating either, until I saw her in competition live. I was really taken by her athleticism, her jump technique and her competitiveness. Also the fact that she was still out there valiently representing her country at the age of 25 or so.

Mathman

Olenska

Rinkside
Some more confessions:

- I don't like pro shows that employ live music and/or singers. It distracts from the skating, and most of the time, it's nobodies or
c-listers.

- I miss the Duchesnays.

- I like PrettyPretty Eman's "Heidi on Acid" costume... I can't for the life of me see why so many people hate it.

- I don't like "macho" pair skaters. Let me explain: some pair men express themselves as much as their partner, and don't fear looking vaguely sensitive. But some, Lloyd Eisler and David Pelletier come to mind, seem so adamant on remaining the manly man that they only seem klutzy. (I know, I know, Eisler skated in drag, but then he was ridiculing emotion, not expressing it. ) That's why I think that after all, B&S are the rightful winners of SLC gold. Anton is not afraid of looking sensitive.

- I was delighted that Sarah Hugues won at SLC. At last, a winner we didn't see come from last Wednesday!

- Anton Sikharulidze is hot.

Lynn226

On the Ice
I asked this question on another thread.

Which one is Eman's "Heidi on Acid" costume? I usually like what he wears and I can't figure out which one it is. :confused:

mike79

On the Ice
Lisa said:
Would you care to explain, please?

Hi there Lisa

The reason that I haven't gotten over the way Nancy acted after the Olympics is because it spoiled her entire comeback for me. She was so poised in her free skate, and showed so much determination by having to endure the media's scrutiny.

Then she made a snide comment about Oksana's crying while waiting for the medal ceremony. It just seemed so inappropriate and unprofessional. I know that she was under a ton of pressure and that she was probably just venting some frustration, but I never quite respected her as much as I used to ever since then.

Norlite

On the Ice
windspirit said:
This is "Heidi on Acid"? I thought it was "The Girdle." :laugh:

Oops, Is it not? LOL.

People were always talking at the beginning of last season how he was still wearing "Heidi" for his short this year. I had always assumed this was it. :laugh:

lulu

Final Flight
ITA about the "macho" skater thing. I love male skaters who are masculine-those who have physical strenth and who aren't afraid to express emotion and artistry. It turns me off when male skater's act ubermacho.

Lisa

On the Ice
Hi Mike,

thanks a lot for you explanation! :) And I totally agree with you, this is unprofessional and so unnecessary!

I can understand certain emotional reactions from skaters during a tough competition (like being relieved when their worst opponents fall, shedding tears of joy or frustration, pumping their fists, ....) - but snappy comments about another skater's feelings .... no way!

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
I keep thinking of more...so here are a few others....hehe

I hate gold blades. I think they are ugly.

I think skaters should stay eligible as long as they want to. No matter how old they are are, how long they've been in the sport, or how good/bad they are. If you can still do the required elements, and you want to skate in elegible comps...then do it.

Its really annoying when skaters wear thier skates really loosely (a la Shae-Lynn Bourne) I just wanna walk out on the ice and tighten them up.

Lynn226

On the Ice
Thanks Norlite!

And since this is skating confessions . . . I just have to say that I've always liked that costume. More importantly, I love the program. And since I like the way Eman looks, I don't really care what he wears.

Lisa

On the Ice
BravesSkateFan said:
Its really annoying when skaters wear thier skates really loosely (a la Shae-Lynn Bourne) I just wanna walk out on the ice and tighten them up.

:D I'd just looove to see this! :D

icenut84

Final Flight
Lisa said:
I can understand certain emotional reactions from skaters during a tough competition (like being relieved when their worst opponents fall, shedding tears of joy or frustration, pumping their fists, ....) - but snappy comments about another skater's feelings .... no way!

As well as that comment, Nancy also gave Oksana a very nasty look while Oksana was being given her medal. That turned me off her.

Some more confessions -

* I also think Anton Sikharulidze is hot :)

* I hate the look of over-the-boot tights and don't plan to ever wear them myself

* I didn't like Nancy Kerrigan's 94 SP dress, and only thought her LP dress was ok. Didn't get why everyone loved them so much.

* I liked Oksana's pink poodle outfit! lol

Lucy25

Final Flight
I hate gold blades. I think they are ugly.

I think skaters should stay eligible as long as they want to. No matter how old they are are, how long they've been in the sport, or how good/bad they are. If you can still do the required elements, and you want to skate in elegible comps...then do it.
Amen to both of these!

shine

Record Breaker
And one confession coming from me...
I find Emanuel Sandhu hopelessly good looking and unbelievably attractive! (prior to his cheek alteration, that is)
:eek:

lulu

Final Flight
Despite her "medal tantrum" in 1994, I have a great amount of respect for Surya Bonley. She skated the way she wanted too, and she is one of those skaters who always throws 100% to all of her performances-no matter if it's a COI tour stop or the Olympics.

mpal2

Final Flight
I wish Sonia Henie had never become an "actress". She had no acting talent and it has just encouraged far too many stupid dreams of movie careers.

Cameos are different however. I say take your 5 seconds of sunshine and go with it. Just remember a cameo is not acting.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I'm afraid I will have to disagree on the movies. I know her acting wasn't good but I did enjoy the movies because they showed skating I would never had seen or known about if it hadn't been for them.