Ice skating confessions | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Ice skating confessions

This is one of the best and most hilarious threads ever on GS! I just love those juicy dark secrets. I'm going to have to do some soul searching before I really jump in (many confessions I already have myself), but I do have one right off the bat:

I want the guys from "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" to do a makeover on Evgeni Plushenko, and I mean everything, from hair to fragrance to music, choreography, and costuming ("Jujh the sleeves, Plush honey"). And while they're at it, the Fab Five could do Mishin too. *Edit: Oops, I mean "do a makeover on Mishin too.";)

I'll come back when I've gone deep into the edges of the skating part of my soul.
Rgirl

Last edited:

Pookie

Final Flight
I don't like pro shows that employ live music and/or singers. It distracts from the skating. . .

I don't like them either. The camera nevers knows whether to watch the skater or the singer. I prefer they watch the skater, of course. After all, that is why I'm sitting in front of the TV.

I always liked Maria B., stiff legs and all. I thought she had great costumes and when she was on, great style.

Rgirl, thanks for the spelling of "jujh." What fragrance would you suggest for Evgeny? Musk naturel with just a soupcon of lavender, oui?

MM

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Actually, I really don't dislike the live music at skating competitions. What I dislike is the fact they show them instead of the skating. You can hear the music, you don't need to see them. Skating is what we want to watch. If the musicians are demanding to be shown, get someone else.

windspirit

On the Ice
Rgirl said:
I want the guys from "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" to do a makeover on Evgeni Plushenko, and I mean everything, from hair to fragrance to music, choreography, and costuming ("Jujh the sleeves, Plush honey").
:laugh: at the idea. But why the fragrance? Don't you like the one Plush wears now? ;)

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Despite Tara's wonderful skate, I still would have given the gold to Michelle in 1998 just because Tara's style was still so juniorish; however, I understand why Tara won and accept it without a problem.

That said, as an actress, Tara Lipinski is a wonderful figure skater and I think she should start considering a college education sooner than later since her skating future is very iffy at best.

I adore Michelle Kwan's skating and could care less about 3/3's, but I would like to see more FOG style in-betweens in her competitive programs.

That said, admittedly new 3/3's from MK would be nice, too!!!!!

With no offense meant to any posters on this thread, I think Nancy Kerrigan won clearly in 1994 and I'm so tired of hearing people still bleating about nasty Nancy being mean to poor Oksana and Mickey Mouse, etc. ad nauseum. What happened to Nancy was hideous, she came through like a trooper and I can certainly understand how her emotions finally let go after losing to the a skater who is the queen of the two footed jump. Nancy has put the whole thing behind her and has gone on to a nice pro career and a lot of great community and charity work. I think its high time to forgive a few ill timed remarks.

That said, as you might guess, the appeal of Oksana Baiul escapes me completely, although I'm curious to see her get back to skating and see if she can possibly stop being such an annoying drama queen.

I consider myself now a Sasha Cohen fan, but all the premature "Sasha is God's gift to figure skating" adoration prior to any concrete results from her could have turned anybody off to her.

THAT said, I think she is maturing into a lovely skater and has potential for MAJOR greatness. I just hope she gets over the "gold is all" mentality and works on her consistency. A solid bronze or silver medal Worlds performance from Sasha would be very satisfying to me.

And that's ENOUGH said!!
:p ;) (Edited later slightly as I sounded a little rougher in some parts than I meant to. Long work day, sigh...)

Last edited:

icenut84

Final Flight
I have a couple more things:

I don't like it when a pair or ice dance couple (usually it's dancers) are bowing and the woman is thrust to the forefront all the time. Like when they bow with the woman 5 metres in front, then the guy takes her hand, twirls her in front again and bows sheepishly while she takes all the applause. It really annoys me. In my opinion, the guy is as much a part of the team as the woman. I hate the idea of the man being nothing but the backdrop, someone unimportant to lift the woman and show her off, or "present her" as people like to put it, and nothing more. It's different if the woman has been injured or something (like Shen Xue at Worlds) and the guy claps for her, but it's not usually the case. It's often emphasized in the choreography, and sometimes even in the costumes. It just annoys me, and I'm a girl! Thinking about it, my favourite pairs and dance teams are almost always those which have the man as much to the forefront as the woman. They are equal.

It also really irritates me when people give totally nonsensical, non-skating-related reasons as to why a skater should/shouldn't have won something. One to mention - Tara Lipinski winning the Olympics. Ok, most people agree she gave a stunning performance, yes? With a great amount of difficulty and spark. If you happened to disagree with the result because of skating reasons, fair enough. But it really annoys me when people give stupid reasons for someone else winning, things that have nothing to do with the skating or the scoring. I've seen people list reasons for Tara not deserving to win including: she looked younger than she was, her body was not "developed" yet (ignoring the fact that she actually had the ideal body type for what she was doing), she was "too young" (in their eyes) or hadn't been around long enough, they didn't like her costume, they didn't like her music, and even that she wore gold jewellery!! I mean, come on people! Since when was that a deduction in a sporting competition???

I also hate it when fans constantly criticise a skater's appearance or body type, e.g. saying someone's ugly or proclaiming they have a flat chest. It's just nasty, cruel and unneccessary.

JMHO.

euterpe

Medalist
Seems to me that judges have, on occasion, deducted points for costuming and music. Music that is all on one level (no climax or variation in tempo) detracts from the overall impact of a performance. And I think some costumes, particularly in ice dance, deserve deductions if they are too garish or revealing.

lulu

Final Flight
I also hate it when fans constantly criticise a skater's appearance or body type, e.g. saying someone's ugly or proclaiming they have a flat chest. It's just nasty, cruel and unneccessary.

I agree.

DJStuCrew

Rinkside
Icenut -- excellent post!

Around my house, we jokingly refer to the male partner of a pairs (and sometimes an ice dance team) as "easel boy." He often acts as the display stand for the "artwork" that is the female. I've never been a skater, only a fan, but if I were, it would drive me NUTS to do all that work and not get any props for it. I'm all about chivalry; I open doors for ladies, I allow them to go first, etc., but disappearing into the background isn't a part of good manners. Or a good performance.

As far as music goes, I usually find bad stadium sound systems to be more of a distraction than anything else. Also, variable tempos, crashing crescendos and dramatic pauses are irrelevent if they aren't totally integrated into the program. It's all about what you do with the music. I'm SO BORED with the standard fare of endless soundtrack drivel and dead-as-dust classical that more often than not conjures up images of Warner Brothers cartoon characters -- talk about distraction! There are so many great genres of music that nobody should ever have to resort to Carmen, Bolero or the Man In the Iron Mask ever again.

The only way that costumes should carry a deduction is if there are clearly defined, specific deduction points listed somewhere in the rules. Period. Otherwise, it is siimply up to the judge's tastes. As long as all the "naughty bits" are covered, skating judges are NOT the fashion police. Maybe there could be a separate score by a judging panel made-up of the "Queer Eye" guys! :)

MidnightNess

Rinkside
As much as I love Michelle, I never really loved Lyra as much as I love her other programs. I prefer the va-va voom Michelle as seen as in Carmen and TFB over the light,flighty airy stuff. Not that she just doesn't portray flightyness well ;)

I really liked Sasha's Malaguena sp.

I have a thing for Johnny Weir.

I feel Michelle needs to switch costume designers and get some frigging sleeves. Let's see some intensive make-up..something!

I feel that both Michelle and Sasha are guilty of over-emoting sometimes. Sasha at the beginning poses of Rach looked stoned out of her mind while at one point in Arianne, Michelle grabbed her stomach and pleaded to the audience as if she was saying "Ex-Lax pleaseeeee!"

I never cared for Sarah's skating although I admire her perseverance to get into college.

I too think Sarah's gold was a fluke. But a very very good one indeed! 2 3/3s..:eek

However, I think even if Michelle had skated clean, Irina would have gotten those four first places regardless. The conspiracist in me just thinks so. The 2002 GPF results doesn't help quash my doubts.

I honestly never wish for other skaters to fall. It seems that in figure skating, Karma is just something you don't want to mess with.

I think Yags looks nasty with the blond streaks. Gimme the dark brown hair! Yes, I'm being superficial. I love his footwork but I wish he would try other sequences and styles. And stop playing mime on the ice, in at least two programs, he pretends to be scaling a wall. Ughh..

I have a thing for Takeshi. Thank god for no more Mummy though! The first time I saw him in that costume, I thought he had just stepped out of the men's room after taking a tinkle.

I love love the deep edges that Irina gets but I wish she would work on centering her spins more. And I'm tired of operas.

I loved Michelle's TFB and Aranjuez but I wish they was more choreography in the LP. That said, my only wish this season is for her to have more choreo! And at least be working on a different 3/3.

I liked Tara's "Color of Roses" program.

I feel Sasha is overhyped and overpraised. Her skating leaves me cold. Fix the flutz, continue to work on the edges, and lose the v-neck dresses. More importantly, look like you're enjoying yourself out there. It's figure skating, not a 9-5 job like the rest of us blokes have to endure ;)

As much as I love Fumie, I hope never to see another Swan-like LP from her again. I'm glad she's doing something different this season.

I really liked Carolina Kostner's sp at World's.

kosjenka

On the Ice
Hello I am new here !
I love this forum, so many super things and all kind of opinions falling down out of us!

My confessions:
Ice dance:
- I love it!
-Anissian and Peizerat are my favorite couple
- i adore all their costumes(well after 1997.)
-they are true Olympic champions!
-Barbara and Mauricio were better at the worlds 2001., they won 100%
-Barbara and Mauricio did not have strong OD or free on the Olympics,but I think their medal was fairly won.
-I never liked Bourn/Kraatz, their programs left me cold, until worlds 2003., but I am still woundering why was she smiling all the time, and the music was so ... like sombody is going to die in the end!
-all the costumes for the last sesones OD were TERRIBLE!
I only liked Denkova/Stavisky costume
-I didnt like Grushina/Goncharov free or OD, in fact i think they were horrible. Hope they are preparing something much better.
-if L/A do Same sun I shall jumpe out of the window -lol!
it is ok program but get it over!
-I am so sorry for Hugentoblers!

Ladies:
-I still dont understand why were Irina Slutskaya s marks for presentation lower than Michelle s or any others.
-Slutskaya should have won Olympics sp and in the end gold medal.
-I was not impressed by Sarah s free at the Olympics, her jumpes did not impress me.
- Sasha Cohen is future World champ, her short Malaguena is one of the best short program ever!
- Michelle does not impress me, but when she "gets into" her program and music - she rocks ! like she skated Salome.
-I adore russian school! Elena Sokolova, Irina Slutskaya, Vika ... BRAVO !
-I think Irina Slutskaya was robbed way too many times.
-I like Japan female skaters
Men:
- i like Alexei and Plush, Alexei a litle bit more.
-no offense, but after watching Worlds2003., I realised that Alexei is the only one how can beat Plush and stand up at his side!
-i loved Plush s Carmen and this years short
-can not wait to see Alexandar ABT , i miss him so much !!!
-I liked Honda s programs
-Alexei turns me on, all I have to see is Overcome ...
Pairs:
-I think that maria and Alexei were overranked on worlds 2003., and on many more competitions.
-Together with G/G and M/D, Elena and Anton are the best pair ever! They skate with so many emotins and their moves, skating skills are way over than any other pair,and their choreographys are much more complete! I also think they are much more romantic on a deeper level than Sale/Peltier.
ELENA AND ANTON won Olympic gold, and they are true champions. Their attitude during that scandal was very classy and they shoved to be on very high level as skaters and as human beings.
-elena and anton have the best costumes in pairs
-I like Pang/Tong
-Shen/Zhao were greate on Worlds 2003, but their sp costumes were terrible !
-and yes, Anton is hot!

more to come ...
dunja

lulu

Final Flight
Hi Dunja

I agree with a lot of the stuff you said in your post-especially about Alexander Abt. I'm hoping he finally gets a world medal this year.

His new program sounds great.

sk8er1964

On the Ice
I just found this thread -- here's mine:

I think Yags is really cute - and I am way too old to think that Yags is really cute :rolleye:

I don't like dance, and I hate being on the ice with dancers. The only dancers I have ever been interested in watching are Torvil and Dean and Belbin and Agostino (spelling? - see what a bad dance fan I am?)

I have no idea who L/T B/B Q/R T/U K/L or whatever are when I read threads including pairs and dance.

I'm not fond of pairs either.

Michelle Kwan doesn't do much for me, and I hate her dresses.

I wish Sasha would get over her "stupid mental errors" problem.

I like Michael Weiss. He has perseverance, if nothing else.

I hope that Johnny Weir will overcome his injury problems - but I wonder if the rumors are true.

I was very impressed with Sarah Hughes' skate at Salt Lake, and very disappointed in her skates since. However, I am very impressed with her poise and class in handling a bad season.

My favorite skater of all times is Dorothy Hammil, because I was 12 when she won and all of us wanted to be like her. We practiced Hammil Camels and delayed axels over and over and over again. Nobody will ever be able to change my mind on this one :D .

blurrysarah

On the Ice
sk8er1964 said:

I don't like dance, and I hate being on the ice with dancers.

AAAGH! I SECOND THAT!
My regular freestyle session always has two pairs of ice dancers. I know they can't really practice any other time, but the unpredictable curvy lines they take around the rink, it is most infuriating when you think you've moved well out of their way only to find them coming back to you.

(It doesn't help that both teams are snotty brats who look down on your mere 3 turn practice either.)

Germanice

On the Ice
-Alexei turns me on, all I have to see is Overcome ...
Hallelujah! :D

Some more confessions:

- I like Sasha Cohen, but I'll never understand how a thread like "Sashas edges" could get so many replies!
- When I read Sasha my first thought is always Sasha Abt!
- There's not only too much ado around Kwan, there's also too much fuss around the US Ladies in general, IMHO!
- Another thing I don't get: The overwhelming majority of skating fans are women; but why they seem to prefer Ladies skating? To me Men's (plus certain Pairs and Dance teams) skating is way more exciting and versatile, and there're sooo many hot guys out there to watch ... :love: OK, I'm an European kid, and, on the other hand, well, looking at the US guys (with the exception of PJZ) even I'd prefer to watch Ladies! ;)
- I wonder if Petrova/Tikhonov are reading skating boards. Must be depressing for them. Do they have fans at all? But then ... why didn't/don't they change anything?

Anke

Last edited:

kosjenka

On the Ice
As I promissed:

-Carolina Kostner is going to be world champion- I hope Olympic champion too or at least she will take medal!

-I hope Sasha ABT gets medal on Worlds, with everything that he has done, I wouldnt mind seeing hei obove Evgeny and the others. Sasha is special skater.;)

-lets me honest - so many skaters have terrible costumes!

-I used to like Petrova/Tihonov but last 3-4 years they haven t shoved anything that I liked.

-since I live in Europe, I watch skating on eurosport more than on national TV, probobly because I do not understand German very well, and the guy on eurosport can see the difference bettwen quad and triple jumpe.
-Alexei s "My baby you":love: program left me breathless... my God I am turning into thees girls who say: "He is soooo cute I can not live without him"
STOP IT DUNJA STOP IT !!!!

just kidding !

dunja:laugh:

Jhar55

Medalist
all the jumps look alike to me, lutes, flip.
never liked dance looks like pairs without the throws and jumps and the ladies wear dresses that you'd trip over.
hate the ladies costumes that the pantie end up being a thong.
still can't figure out how someone can come form 4th or 5th place and win gold (sarah)
never liked sasha's skating until I saw her up close at COI this year.
I am also sure there is more but just can't think of it at this time.

taf2002

Rinkside
My "was robbed" picks:

the Carruthers & Roz Sumners in 84, Wilson & McCall in 88, Paul Wylie in 92, Nancy K & Elvis S in 94 (I can't even understand why there is even a debate about either of them), also Brasseur & Eisler and Torvill & Dean in 94, and Michelle Kwan in 98 & 02, among others.

I don't get why anyone thinks Irina should have won the short in 02, I had her 3rd and Sarah Hughes 5th or 6th, and her LP was probably the worst I have ever seen her skate-it was 4 mins of wandering around the ice in slow-motion & sloppy positions.

The behavior of both OGM in 02 pairs has permanently turned me off both of them. Also I think no way did B&S deserve the 98 silver.

Sarah's Fosse program is painful for me to watch, I am so embarassed for her-IMO the only thing worse she has done is Dancing in the Streets. And for True Confessions, she had me in stitches at 03 Nationals-first the short with the "spanking the butt" moves and then the long with the horrible music edits. Just when you think it's finally over, it starts up again. When the little girl threw a flower on the ice because she thought it was over, the entire section I was sitting in was screaming with laughter.

I also don't think we as fans should discuss skater's physical attributes but I can't imagine why anyone would think either Plushy or Sandhu is remotely attractive.

My biggest peeves about skating: when someone wins a major title who I view as "unworthy" and now they are known as world or Oly champion, and expressions like "she won fair & square" and "you can't take it away from her" (is someone trying?). Also as someone mentioned, giving non-skating reasons why someone should have won, especially "skating with joy"-where is that in the rulebook?-because they only use this reason for people who grin like a banshee the entire 4 mins, as though that's the only way to show the passion for what they are doing.