Iconic programs that you find ... overrated | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Iconic programs that you find ... overrated

mrrice

Record Breaker
All nations have worse teeth than the Americans. :biggrin:

I don't know.......Their are some pretty teeth in Canada. There were also very pretty people in Finland!!! You know what Russia has, IMO.....The best bodies....Especially the hockey players......:love: Ridiculous....Seriously. Their Ballet Dancers are IMO, The best in the World. They are certainly the hardest working dancers I have ever been around. I cried my eyes out when we left St Petersburg.....:sad21:

Last edited:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I don't know.......Their are some pretty teeth in Canada. There were also very pretty people in Finland!!! You know what Russia has, IMO.....The best bodies....Especially the hockey players......:love: Ridiculous....Seriously. Their Ballet Dancers are IMO, The best in the World. They are certainly the hardest working dancers I have ever been around. I cried my eyes out when we left St Petersburg.....:sad21:

Maybe this was a bad joke from me...Sorry..Or this was a false stereotyped phrase ...:)

mrrice

Record Breaker
Well, it might be a stereotype but, at least in Ca. it's completely true. That's why Lumineers, Veneers, and Dental Surgery are such a huge business here.

sarama

Medalist
They laid it all on the line with that performance, but "they looked tired near the end:hslap:"? They are one of the few couples in that quad that could skate full out and, pardon my expression, "balls to the wall," and make it look like they could go another round. The only time I saw them show fatigue was during a performance at a high altitude (Colorado, I think), and Charlie's exercise-induced asthma kicked in. I think their on- and off-ice training also helped them avoid serious injuries during their career.

To me the best thing a skater can do is make you forget how difficult and tiring is what they are doing. And Meryl and Charlie struggled to make everything look effortless, especially in Scheherazade (while something like Giselle definitely did them more favors). Of course your mileage may vary.

rain

Record Breaker
I totally agree with you. The point is that their first season, understandably, they had extremely generic and bland material, yet were rewarded monstrous PCS. At that point they probably didn't even bother to put some effort into their choreography. And it's kind of a pity because I think diva Trankov and queen Volosozhar could have skated to some very interesting programs. The only exception is probably their Masquerade Waltz, which was very Russian and not original, but it had a beautiful choreo and really suited them. (I guess Aliona at least won the originality contest against Tatiana!)

Yes, this is why it is so frustrating. Think of what could have been accomplished with their beautiful lines and skills....but no, year after year it was the same generic, bland snooze.

rain

Record Breaker
Virtue/Moir's Carmen and their Sochi FD - Carmen was just being vulgar for the shock value, not actually a good program, and their Olympic FD was boring, bland and totally disconnected from the music. I was quite disappointed to sit down the watch the Olympics and find that the "battle" that had been hyped to the gills was, in my eyes, quite one-sided.

Well, I still think V/M's Carmen is awesome, but even as a big V/M fan I was totally underwhelmed by their Sochi FD. The worst of their career, IMO. But my disappointment was that I also hated D/W's FD so there was little to interest me. Both of those free dances were utterly underwhelming and generic. I can't remember a single move in them. Clearly their coach has already used up her best material.

rain

Record Breaker
Best Davis and White OD: Giselle
Best Davis and White free dance: Fledermaus.

In terms of iconic, though, I think their most iconic program would probably be their 2010 Bollywood SD. This was actually something new for ice dance at the time and set a standard for this type of dance that has not, IMO been surpassed.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Well, I still think V/M's Carmen is awesome, but even as a big V/M fan I was totally underwhelmed by their Sochi FD. The worst of their career, IMO. But my disappointment was that I also hated D/W's FD so there was little to interest me. Both of those free dances were utterly underwhelming and generic. I can't remember a single move in them. Clearly their coach has already used up her best material.

Which year did Scott and Tessa skate to Ella Fitzgerald? I think that might be favorite free dance of all time. I still say that Scott stole the show in that program. Cheek to Cheek is what I called that program and I loved it... Carmen, unfortunately is my least favorite of all of their programs. It's another program that I feel would been off the podium with any other team of skaters. It was their extreme talent that saved that program but, IMO, it didn't have a chance against D/W.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Which year did Scott and Tessa skate to Ella Fitzgerald? I think that might be favorite free dance of all time. I still say that Scott stole the show in that program. Cheek to Cheek is what I called that program and I loved it... Carmen, unfortunately is my least favorite of all of their programs. It's another program that I feel would been off the podium with any other team of skaters. It was their extreme talent that saved that program but, IMO, it didn't have a chance against D/W.

That was their SD for 2013-2014. They were robbed of winning the SD at both the GPF and Sochi ice dance event. One of the best SDs ever, and they actually made the pattern dance a highlight.

anyanka

Record Breaker
- Adelina, Sochi - in fairness, her Liebestraum was better
- Tara L, Nagano - her Sense & Sensibility / Much Ado number the previous year was better
- D/W, Sheherazade - much preferred their Notre Dame de Paris from the year before
- Katya Witt, Carmen - only for the technical content which was very low (at the time it was competitive), but the artistry was stunning. Still, I don't find myself repeating it on YouTube.