I'd rather skate naked than wear fur | Page 3 | Golden Skate

I'd rather skate naked than wear fur

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
That's very interesting. It makes me wonder where the concept came from that humans have rights. Rights seem to be things that we make up and bestow upon ourselves (and in some cases, upon our friends).

Sometimes, animals have been given rights before people -- some states had laws to protect animals from cruelty before they could get laws passed banning child abuse (on the theory that banning starvation or broken bones would interfere with a parent's right to "discipline" a child), the very first cases of child abuses were prosecuted as "cruelty to animals" cases.

In no way do I believe that values of animals' and humans' lives can equate in any way, shape, or form. And opposing research... To me, no matter how many animals have to die to find a cure from a human ailment -- it's worth it.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste, LOL. I have this wacked-out recurring dream in which a race of aliens from outer space discovers earth and the vast herds of game animals (us) roaming around on it. These space aliens are greatly more intelligent than we are, and much further advanced technically, socially and ethically. Furthermore they believe that they, unlike lesser creatures, were created in the image of the Divine and uniquely blessed with an immortal soul.

They are also avid hunters.

In my dream it is up to me to come up with some kind of rational argument why they should go away and not shoot us for their sport.

(Well, actually in my dream Michelle comes out and skates so beautifully that the terrible aliens decide to beat their spears into plowshares…)

Sometimes, animals have been given rights before people -- some states had laws to protect animals from cruelty before they could get laws passed banning child abuse (on the theory that banning starvation or broken bones would interfere with a parent's right to "discipline" a child), the very first cases of child abuses were prosecuted as "cruelty to animals" cases.
That is very interesting, Attyfan. I wonder if there is an economic aspect to this. If you break your horse's leg, that's a disaster because he can't pull the plow any more. If you break your child's leg, so what?

dutchherder

Final Flight
I guess I live a somewhat hypocritical existence. Love to eat meat and seafood. Love to wear fur and leather. Enjoy fishing as a hobby. Support hunting of non-endangered animals (deer for instance). Yet, it pains me greatly to see the senseless euthanizing of thousands of dogs, every day, year in-year out, all over the world.

Dogs are one of the few species of animals that due to their domestication, have a very hard time surviving on their own. Unlike baby seals or minks...they need humans to care for them. Yet, they are bred - born - and dropped off at shelters to die. Now that pains me.

That's not hypocritical. That makes sense; PETA doesn't. :cool:

dutchherder

Final Flight
That is very interesting, Attyfan. I wonder if there is an economic aspect to this. If you break your horse's leg, that's a disaster because he can't pull the plow any more. If you break your child's leg, so what?

Well, certainly. It hasn't been that long ago, in the scheme of things, when livestock were more valuable than women. :frown:

John King

Final Flight
Just be glad about two things:First,that the Protopopovs are not members of PETA and;Second,that Golden Girls Betty White and Bea Arthur,who are,don't skate.