Is Flatt USA's best hope for 3 in LA? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Is Flatt USA's best hope for 3 in LA?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Joe - the rules were changed so that the USFSA didn't HAVE to send the gold medalists at nationals to the Olympics if they didn't feel they were the best choice...

however I don't think we'll see it happen

Toni - Do you have a link to the USFS rules? I am interested in reading all their rules. The ISU rules are more open to the public.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I believe it was in an artcle on icenetwork - Sylvia would have it before I would... I was merely restating what Sylvia had already said.

^ On the USFS site, click on "About Us." The first article is "bylaws (pdf)." Here is the direct link.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/Content/2008-09 RB Part 1 Bylaws.pdf

Scroll down to section 6.00, page 67 ff, under "International Committee, Selection of Athletes, paragraph 6.04 A (selction of athletes for World Championships) and D (selction of athletes for Olympic games.) The new additions to the rules this year are the parts underlined. :)

R.D.

Record Breaker
It is NOT important for a skater to peak during the GP. In fact, it's often counter-productive. Just because Flatt is slow in October doesn't mean she will be slow in January and/or March, when the important events take place.

If Nagasu and Zhang are having their problems now, that is a GOOD thing. Better now than later in the season.

Please, folks---cut these skaters a BREAK!

EXACTLY! This is what I was saying earlier. Thanks for this sobering post. :clap:

asparaguss

Rinkside
Is there any medicine that can help these girls to stop growing? It's so frustrating that the majority of these talented youngsters' jumps have been destroyed by growth spurt.
Yes, how inconvenient for skating fans. Surely some mixture of anorexia and drugs can be concocted to stop growth. Perhaps puberty can be delayed forever (some progress is already being made in this area, with reports of skaters who don't begin menstruating until long after their bodies are supposed to). Why would anyone think of these girls as human beings? Or concern themselves about their long-term well-being? Better to make the sport of skating even less an art form, and even more a rigorous, robotic, gymastics-like activity.

Maybe the poster's comment was meant as satire, but the grim reality is, it seems to reflect an all-too-common and hardly exaggerated view among many professed skating fans.

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
To be honest, whether the US sends 2 or 3 skaters to the Olympics right now is of little concern to me. My opinion might change over this season and next, but right now, the US doesn't even HAVE 3 skaters that can put up a score that will get them on the podium. Remember what happened to Miki Ando last Olympics? It would be terrible to send a 3rd girl and not have them crack the top 15 or 20, and let the negative impact of that experience discourage them from skating all together. If the quality of the overall Olympics goes up by not sending a 3rd US skater and giving someone else a shot, so be it. If we wind up with only 2 spots, it is because we fairly deserve 2 spots.

^^^

Very interesting take on the sending of 3 skaters to the Olys. I think you've got the real rationale for this. Hopefully, one of the US ladies comes through with a medal in LA but I, too think it is doubtful.

Thanks MM for the link on USFS rules.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
The 2010 U.S. Olympic figure skating team selection guidelines were revised earlier this summer (I believe this is what Mathman was referring to) and the 2010 U.S. national champions are no longer guaranteed an Olympic team berth, even though it's more than likely the 4 champions will be named to the team (as long as they are age-eligible).
Do you have a link to the USFS rules? I am interested in reading all their rules.
I've posted the link in this new/separate thread: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25073

Last edited:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
It would be terrible to send a 3rd girl and not have them crack the top 15 or 20, and let the negative impact of that experience discourage them from skating all together. If the quality of the overall Olympics goes up by not sending a 3rd US skater and giving someone else a shot, so be it. If we wind up with only 2 spots, it is because we fairly deserve 2 spots.

Nice sentiment, but if our teen titans do win back our 3rd spot, the USFSA is not just going to give it away.

bekalc

Record Breaker
To be honest, whether the US sends 2 or 3 skaters to the Olympics right now is of little concern to me. My opinion might change over this season and next, but right now, the US doesn't even HAVE 3 skaters that can put up a score that will get them on the podium. Remember what happened to Miki Ando last Olympics? It would be terrible to send a 3rd girl and not have them crack the top 15 or 20, and let the negative impact of that experience discourage them from skating all together. If the quality of the overall Olympics goes up by not sending a 3rd US skater and giving someone else a shot, so be it. If we wind up with only 2 spots, it is because we fairly deserve 2 spots.

Huh? Miki Ando won Worlds exactly the next year. So much for her being discouraged. I'm sure most skaters would choose top 15 at the Olympics over no Olympics at all. Heck, Shizuka placed very low when she went to the Nagano Olympics. Joubert/Lambiel went to the Olympics a long time ago and placed low too. It's a learning experience and it's still worth it no matter how you place.

Now, if your someone like Michelle Kwan who is trying to get in through a bye. Well than yes, you better be capable of skating your best/getting a medal since you didn't earn the spot through normal means. Michelle was right to give the spot to Hughes in that regard. Especially since she had been to the Olympics twice before.

But in the case of someone getting the third spot through our normal procedures, send them no matter how good they are....

ks777

Record Breaker
I think Ashley could have scored over 60 had she not fallen on the lutz.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Nice sentiment, but if our teen titans do win back our 3rd spot, the USFSA is not just going to give it away.

I don't think the sentiment of the post was - if the US wins the third spot in ladies it should give it away, IMO, the post simply said if the US doesn't win the third spot then so much the better that another skater from another country gets to go and hopefully improves the overall quality of the Olympics by skating better than the third US lady might have.

Ant

fairly4

Medalist
Probably why because they cheated for her and Mirai at Skate America and ripped Caroline Zhang.

Memo to Caroline Zhang Get Out of figure skating
1) they aren't going to judge you fair and square. They are always going to call yours underroated because your are of Chinese descent and have not ties to Canada
2) look at how they called joannies jumped good when she ur, rachels when she jumped
for example Canadian open Michelle skated clean (old program) Josiee Chouinard Fell twice and skated on wrong edge . She won; they claimed it was because of an old program.
let see Jaime and David won OG because of OLD program, Sasha won because of old program,
under Cop skaters are winning doing Old Programs.
White kids and japanese kids gets the breaks.
Caroline They don't want you in it so get out when you still have your head and heart in tack. Let Rachel Mirai Kimmie and Other WhIte American kids in why that is who they want in not you.
Rachel they cheated for at nationals and Junior worlds. They can't and won't admit their mistake and Fans, media, skating is racist/elitest and wont bother with sponsors so get out. while you can. Pick another sport be smart like Naomi and Ann Patrice . If you are the one they want , they will cheat for you and beg lyou to stay in and promote you. Look what happen at nationals last year, they got mad you garner more attention they let you score slip stating play of field, but nothing about other skaters screws up.
Sponsors figure skating is racist and discrimmatory under the old and especially under the new. Until they get rid of the rule they have to be a skater, judge, coach, choreorgrapher skating will never change . it hasn't changed in over 100 years and won't change now. Change the scores but not the people.

To answer the thread's q: Nope. Ashley Wagner is. Her SP in China makes her the immediate future of US ladies' skating.

I am so impressed with that young woman's drive and talent. While all the hoopla was going to the brilliant tweenies (and I love them too) she just kept going and working, and has turned all that great energy of hers into beautiful artistry. Look at the results. Hurray for her. :clap:

oleada

Record Breaker
I'd have to agree. Her speed and presentation are much improved; she's not rushing through the choreography anymore. She's really holding her moves now. She's also a better spinner than Flatt and (imo) more enjoyable to watch. She's always been a solid spinner, but her spins were fantastic yesterday.

HCOSurfer

Final Flight
I really think that Rachael and Ashley are our two hopefuls right now. Ashley has improved dramatically and Rachael is extremely consistent. I used to think Caroline and Ashley were our two hopefuls going into Vancouver, but I'm afraid the puberty monster may get the best of Caroline.