Is pairs skating a viable option for me? | Golden Skate

Is pairs skating a viable option for me?

Darth Skater

Spectator
I am interested in pairs skating, but I have no clue about requirements for starting. I am 16 yrs old female, 155 lbs, 5'4". Fit, but not exactly lightweight. I am Star 4 free skate and Star 8 skills and dance under skatecanada's program, with all single jumps, working on axel and double sal (I haven't landed or fully rotated either). My skating "career" only has a few years left. Is it worth my time looking into getting a partner, and will my height/weight/age/skill level inhibit the possibility of pairs skating further than the actual number of partners interested?
By the way, I'm kind of looking into this on a whim, and male skaters are not in abundance near me. I'm just curious about others thoughts on this scenario... Thanks in advance! (and sorry in advance as well. I'm pretty forgetful, so if I don't respond to things, I probably forgot I posted this...)

Aimee-01

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Many strong single skaters move to pairs, so if you feel it is something you really want to do it’s an option.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I would, politely, suggest that you will struggle to find a partner. Male skaters are hardly in abundance anywhere; male skaters who want to do pairs are in even less abundance. Men who want to do pairs will more than likely be looking for a serious pairs partner; at sixteen and only working on a single Axel you are very far away from being a serious pairs partner.

But why do you feel your skating "career" only has a few years left? You're only sixteen. That's years and years left in which to skate and continue to learn, to progress, to work on your skills, to compete. Adult Skating is the fastest growing part of the sport.

Darth Skater

Spectator
Thank you for your replies! I figured as much, karne, but I'm not well versed in the pairs scene, and wanted to see the opinions of people on here like you. :) I may still look into a partner, but at least I know what I can expect.
As for my "career", I live on an island (a large one, but an island nonetheless), and Adult skating is mostly limited to synchro and some high-level dance and skills in the metro area. I also recently moved from a rural part of the island to an area closer to the city. Our only university is in the city, so when I graduated, I would have to move here anyway. That likely would have stopped me from skating much, but now that I live here, I may still be able to skate with a club past high school. I don't intend to quit skating, but finances and availability of ice time/coaches for adults may cause it to take the back burner for a while. I'll have to remember to look into Adult Skating options and pricing in my area...

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
male skaters are not in abundance near me
Realistically, it's not going to happen.
I've been younger, lighter, shorter, and higher level than you with abundant male skaters where I lived and still couldn't find a partner. There are short 18 year old women with triple-triples who can't find partners. My friend who is 5'0 with a 2A can't find a partner. All in a place where male skaters are abundant. Karne said it, partners are extremely difficult to find. People always look for pairs experience. If you don't have that it's 1000000x more difficult.

Arwen17

Final Flight
People always look for pairs experience. If you don't have that it's 1000000x more difficult.

I guess her best choice would be to start working with a male coach to learn the skills? At least that way she can learn it starting right now, and she's making herself more "marketable" for a partner, since she'd already have the skills, yes?

If we had any male coaches that taught Pairs skills, I'd take lessons just for fun and sheer desire of wanting to know how to do the skills, even though my partner prospects at 5'9 height are negative 9000.

Other than that, she'd have to try to recruit a male friend, boyfriend, or a brother into skating, but good luck with that. That's extremely difficult.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I guess her best choice would be to start working with a male coach to learn the skills? At least that way she can learn it starting right now, and she's making herself more "marketable" for a partner, since she'd already have the skills, yes?

If we had any male coaches that taught Pairs skills, I'd take lessons just for fun and sheer desire of wanting to know how to do the skills, even though my partner prospects at 5'9 height are negative 9000.

Other than that, she'd have to try to recruit a male friend, boyfriend, or a brother into skating, but good luck with that. That's extremely difficult.
Yes, this is the best option for getting into pairs. Pairs is HELLA fun, especially when you're learning it with an experienced coach.

I'm also tall and it can be a bit scary because I'm often only like two inches shorter than the people who lift me. Sometimes, if it's an ice dancer, the exact same height.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Try pairs with a male coach to see if you actually like it. Personally, I didn't. Apart from the terrifying lifts, landing the thrown jumps hurt! It's one thing landing a double salchow from your own strength and speed, but landing after some hulking great brute has flung you half across the rink is a whole 'nuther animal. Ouch! Always worth having a try, though. And plenty of adults do pairs and you may well find a partner in the adult skating community. Just because you're 16 and not competing at elite level, doesn't mean your skating life is nearly over. There are so many opportunities for adults now, including world championships at various levels. Go for it. Skating is for life, not just for kids.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I know some adult skaters who started adult pairs and have a great time with it. They aren’t doing high level skills but that’s not the important part. Adult pairs aren’t doing overhead lifts unless they are skating masters and even then it’s not super common. So it’s always something you can try in the future in adult skating.

mskater93

Record Breaker
There are so many opportunities for adults now, including world championships at various levels. Go for it. Skating is for life, not just for kids.
I hate to break it to you, but there are NO adult world championships (as much as many people call Obertsdorf "Adult Worlds"). The internationals that exist are solely invitationals because in the adult skating world, there is no way to level the playing field due to the various testing/training structures around the world for adult skaters and trying to get people in the right levels. Doesn't mean they aren't fun...

mskater93

Record Breaker
They aren’t doing high level skills but that’s not the important part. Adult pairs aren’t doing overhead lifts unless they are skating masters and even then it’s not super common. So it’s always something you can try in the future in adult skating.
US Adult Nationals Championship Pairs lifts by type (all teams):
Group 1 (not overhead): 1
Group 2 (not overhead): 2
Group 3 (overhead): 7
Group 4 (overhead): 5
Group 5 (overhead): 4

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
US Adult Nationals Championship Pairs lifts by type (all teams):
Group 1 (not overhead): 1
Group 2 (not overhead): 2
Group 3 (overhead): 7
Group 4 (overhead): 5
Group 5 (overhead): 4
I’m impressed!- but championship masters are mostly people who skated as kids or have been skating a long time. That said there are still a lot of ways to have fun with pairs at the Bronze and Silver levels without doing overhead lifts.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I’m impressed!- but championship masters are mostly people who skated as kids or have been skating a long time. That said there are still a lot of ways to have fun with pairs at the Bronze and Silver levels without doing overhead lifts.
Not true that they were all child skaters:
2nd place female started at 30+
3rd place female started at 30+
4th place male started at 30+
5th place male and female started at 20+

Agreed that you need to build your skills to get to that level which takes some time. That would be with singles as well.