Japanese Nationals | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Japanese Nationals

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Miki apparently has a dislocated shoulder. That is not good news. Seems to me she dislocated that shoulder two years ago. Once you dislocate a shoulder joint, you are in danger of dislocating it again. And if it happens again, then the danger of it becoming a chronic injury is very great because the tendons that hold the shoulder in place become stretched out and they no longer function properly. Jumping and spinning puts stress on the shoulder joint and can easily pull it out.

That it happened in competition is not a good sign.

Oh, dear. I hope they can find a way to heal it. She is such a gorgeous skater and has worked so hard this season. As much as I love Mao and admire Yu Na, Miki is the most exciting lady skater right now, IMO. I hope a few weeks' rest and therapy will help her recover in time to get ready for Worlds.

doug_log

On the Ice
He may have had the second highest score in history, but he has the highest score for the freeskating only...plush had 167.67......dai had 170.53 or sumthin like that

Yeah, and Daisuke deserved it. Well, maybe not, but it was certainly better (handsdown, no question) than anything Plushenko has ever put out there on the ice. I really thought, after last season, that Takahashi's jumps would deteriorate, but they are strong. His quad is gorgeous. His axel is solid. His skating skills and presentation and choreo are amazing. Most importantly, though, he has the jumps. I really think, after Japanese Nationals, that he is the best male skater in the world right now. Joubert is on, but he's a bit sloppy. Takahashi's nationals LP was, really, maybe the best I have ever seen. I can't stop raving.

euterpe

Medalist
The first rule of thumb is that if it is Nationals, the scores are exaggerated. I took a peek at the protocols posted on the FSU board, and the PCS scores are almost all in the 8s for Takahashi and Asada. That just is not going to happen in ISU competition, so take those scores with a grain of salt.

I feel pretty much the same as doug_log! His ability to grow is phenomenal. He was beautiful at the Olympics but today he is commanding. And you never know what he is going to come up with next (including with his haircuts, lol). He's an interesting skater.

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
:eek: 2 bits of news I really didn't want to hear.

Fumie might be 4th, but first in so many hearts! I so hope this doesn't do anything toward her Mom's desires for her to go get married and have babies. Stay FUMIE, STAY ON THE ICE!!!!:bow:

And Miki dislocating during.... eegad that is a scary thought. I have known a number of people that have had chronic issues with their shoulders all starting with that first dislocation. I really hope there is something that will allow her to overcome this where it wont be a continual problem for her.

I will have to admit I am a little happy for Yakari.:clap:

It's because the overall approach failed last year this year the JSF decided to change the qualification process. Now it's based on Nationals result (plus the highest placing GPF medalist would receive an recommendation - meaning, even if Asada would place 4th in Nationals she would still have a chance to make the team).
Ah, the Asada Exemption again. They couldn't push it through for the Olympics, but this year they are making sure their next World Champion doesn't hit a snag.

euterpe said:
The first rule of thumb is that if it is Nationals, the scores are exaggerated. I took a peek at the protocols posted on the FSU board, and the PCS scores are almost all in the 8s for Takahashi and Asada. That just is not going to happen in ISU competition, so take those scores with a grain of salt.
For comparison, at Mao's excellent skate at NHK (also in Japan, but with an International judging panel), she scored about 7.5 across the board in PCSs in both the SP and the LP. If she got, say, 8.25s at Japanese Nationals that gave her an extra 9 points total.

However, she broke her old record (199.52) by 20 points overall.

Anything can happen, but I think Mao's the one. If she delivers her program she just has too much for Kim, Meissner, Ando, Meier, Rochette or anyone else. JMO, of course.

Oscilla

On the Ice
Ah, the Asada Exemption again. They couldn't push it through for the Olympics, but this year they are making sure their next World Champion doesn't hit a snag.

Well, theoretically they did not know who was going to place the highest in the GPF at the time the criteria were established. They did not even know if Asada would make the GPF at all (as she placed 3rd in SA).
The criteria were the same for the men. I think it was meant to be an additional motivation for the skaters to perform well in the GP circuit.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, I'm kind of :eek: to see that Suguri missed the world team this time around...

The world champion is either going to be Kim or Asada. That's the rivalry to look out for the next two years.

M

mylastduchess

Have they announced who's going to the 4CC, Asian winter games, and the winter universade?

Oscilla

On the Ice
Have they announced who's going to the 4CC, Asian winter games, and the winter universade?

Asian Games:
Ladies:
Fumie Suguri
Yukari Nakano
Aki Sawada

Men:
Takahiko Kozuka
Kensuke Nakaniwa

Ice Dancing:
Nozomi Watanabe/Akiyuki Kido

4CC:

Men:
Yasuharu Nanri
Noriyuki Kanzaki
Kensuke Nakaniwa

Ladies:
Fumie Suguri
Yoshie Onda
Aki Sawada

Ice Dancing:
Cathy Reed / Chris Reed

Winter Universiade:

Men:
Daisuke Takahashi
Nobunari Oda
Noriyuki Kanzaki

Ladies:
Miki Ando
Akiko Suzuki
Yuki Umetani

Ice Dancing:
Minami Sakacho / Tatsuya Sakacho

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
Asian Games:
Ladies:
Fumie Suguri
Yukari Nakano
Aki Sawada

Men:
Takahiko Kozuka
Kensuke Nakaniwa

Ice Dancing:
Nozomi Watanabe/Akiyuki Kido

4CC:

Men:
Yasuharu Nanri
Noriyuki Kanzaki
Kensuke Nakaniwa

Ladies:
Fumie Suguri
Yoshie Onda
Aki Sawada

Ice Dancing:
Cathy Reed / Chris Reed

Winter Universiade:

Men:
Daisuke Takahashi
Nobunari Oda
Noriyuki Kanzaki

Ladies:
Miki Ando
Akiko Suzuki
Yuki Umetani

Ice Dancing:
Minami Sakacho / Tatsuya Sakacho

Is the information correct? I'm surprised that Fumie and Aki will do two back-to-back events.

R.D.

Record Breaker
wow, is this the first time Suguri is being sent to 4CC's?

Too much to hope the US would send someone to challenge her. Maybe Emily Hughes?

Oscilla

On the Ice
Is the information correct? I'm surprised that Fumie and Aki will do two back-to-back events.

I think that the Asian Games team will probably be changed. It was named before the Nationals. I think the JSF thought that Fumie will make the Worlds team so there will be no sense to send her to 4CC.
The 4CC team was named after the Nationals and consists of top placing skaters who aren't going to Worlds. Because AG and 4CC are so close, those skaters who are going to compete at 4CC probably won't compete at AG. However, the JSF has not named the new team yet.

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
I really don't think it was right for the Japanese Federation to name the world team right after the nationals because in my opinion Fumie should have been on the world team because of the simple fact the she is the reigning world silver medalist but she beat Nakano at NHK and she got to go to the GPF where as Nakano didn't.

Mao Asada and Miki Ando definitely should go to worlds because they have have been right on but I think Nakano and Suguri should have duked it out at 4CC's to see who will go to worlds.

They did that at the 2005 4CC's between Suguri and Onda where Suguri won and she got to go.

Does anybody agree with me?

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
I think that the Asian Games team will probably be changed. It was named before the Nationals. I think the JSF thought that Fumie will make the Worlds team so there will be no sense to send her to 4CC.
The 4CC team was named after the Nationals and consists of top placing skaters who aren't going to Worlds. Because AG and 4CC are so close, those skaters who are going to compete at 4CC probably won't compete at AG. However, the JSF has not named the new team yet.

So they may actually send in Mao if they want a gold medal there? at least I'm hoping so!

M

mylastduchess

They can't change their entrees for the Asian Games since the deadline was a couple of days ago, I think Shen and Zhao are going to do the same thing with competing at both events!

Oscilla

On the Ice
They can't change their entrees for the Asian Games since the deadline was a couple of days ago, I think Shen and Zhao are going to do the same thing with competing at both events!

That's going to be pretty hectic! But then again, the other Japanese skaters have pretty horrible schedule, too. Oda has some event planned every week in January... The JSF probably wants to milk the skaters' popularity for all its worth, but I wonder when they will have the time to rest and train.