Japanese Nationals | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Japanese Nationals

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Judging from the videos, this competition is tougher than any nationals, and will certainly be tougher than the world championships.

Isn't there only one "world class" dance team from Japan as well?
Yes. Watanabe and Kido :love: are both in their thirties. They have gone to worlds several times, finishing in the second ten. Japan also has Nakako Tsuzuki, who has skated with several different partners and done well, but I don't think she ever went to worlds (she is in her 30s, too).

So there does seem to be a big opportunity for Redd and Reed to step in and compete. According to the Mittan article they decided to skip juniors because she turned 19 this year (he is 17).

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Reeds have dual citizenship? I guess then they will be able to compete for Japan at the Olympics. If they continued to compete in the US, where there are many top-notch teams, they would be very unlikely to win an Olympic berth.

They will be competing at 4CC so we can see how the Reeds stack up against US and Canadian ice dance teams. Moving up to Senior from Novice is a pretty steep step. But then another US brother-and-sister team, the Hubbells, went from placing 2nd in Novices last year to becoming the JGPF Champions this past fall, so you never know.

Saundy

On the Ice
Their mother is Japanese, their father is American. They won the U.S. Novice ice dance title last year, representing the Skating Club of Morris (New Jersey).

Here is a recent article about them by Barry Mittan.

http://www.skatetoday.com/

I think I've heard of them before now that I've read the article.
Interesting though.
Thanks Mathman!

BBI*CEO

On the Ice
The Reeds are coached by Shae-lynn - she was with them at Japanese Nationals. I would love to see them skate and see how they stack up with other teams on this side of the ocean! Not much of a comparison to teams that are well experienced, mature etc...

Go Reeds!