Japanese Nationals | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Japanese Nationals

euterpe

Medalist
Fumi Suguri was 4CC Champion in 2001, 2003 and 2005. Chances are she will be 4CC Champion in 2007.

dizzydi7

On the Ice
After watching Yukina Ota's LP on youtube, I'm certainly impressed. She is the most elegant skater among the current Japanese Ladies, in my opinion. She is quite flexible, does a wonderful Ina Bauer and has some very beautiful moments in that program.

However, Mao's LP performance was very good. As much as I like her skating I do think she has room for improvement especially her spins and she tends to telescope her jumps much like Fumie.

Dizzy

I think the top skaters are not crazy about 4CC. They would rather train. Much depends on the venue. It is not a European jaunt. A skater may have to cross oceans to get to it. Fumie has been there done that and won that. If it was to decide her to go to Worlds, she would do it.

Joe

lutzskate

On the Ice
The Japanese Team for the World Championships has been named.

Dance:
Watanabe-Kido

Men:
Daisuke Takahashi
Nobunari Oda

Ladies:
Mao Asada
Miki Ando
Yukari Nakano

I apologize if this has already been discussed (obviously it has, as no one else seems surprised by it) - I did look through the forum for the discussion, but what happened to the pairs competition??? How are they deciding which pairs go to worlds and who is champion, etc.?

Thanks to anyone who can provide an answer or a link for me.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
What is the "purse" for the 4CC?

I have to say watching the vid of Fumie in the KnC just ripped me up. Especially because even thought the tears were there she was still so strong and excepting - Just like Olys - I makes me feel so proud of her even if the podium was just missed. The first Jumps were gorgeous, choreography, interpretation IMO - as far as YT resolution allows also. So strange that I can feel so much for someone I don't even know. ???? She really is amazing.... I'll stop gushing - sorry.

OH wait, Yukina. That was stellar, 'nof said. Well that and she is remarkably beautiful too - she has that "classic beauty".

And Mao continues to impress me even with reservation, I don't know for sure what made me not WANT to like her, But I can't help it. Her skating is freaking magical at points. It is impossible for me to deny how great she is and can be in the future.

OK Gush stop here!

Oscilla

On the Ice
I apologize if this has already been discussed (obviously it has, as no one else seems surprised by it) - I did look through the forum for the discussion, but what happened to the pairs competition??? How are they deciding which pairs go to worlds and who is champion, etc.?

Thanks to anyone who can provide an answer or a link for me.

Do you mean Japanese pairs..? Japan has none at this point, so obviously there was no pairs competition at Japanese Nationals.

There have been a few discussions about why no one tries their strenght in this discipline in spite of Japan having a lot of good skaters who won't be able to make the World team in singles. Lack of ice (there is not enough rinks in Japan, even some of the elite skaters were forced to train during public sessions, which would be impossible for pairs as they need more ice surface), lack of coaches, insufficient support from the JSF and usually too lithe build of Japanese boys were some of the reasons that were suggested.

FumieForever

Spectator
The JSF probably wanted to make it up to Nakano after last year's National competition fiasco, where even though she had been a GPF medal winner and had supposedly "earned" a spot on the Olympic team (3rd), they gave it to a struggling-6th place Miki Ando for...special reasons:think:

I'm sad for Fumie, but I guess Yukari earned it to make up for last year, where she probably would have done better than Miki in Torino

If you haven't watched Yukina's LP, take a look. Absolutely beautiful! She's so grown up now, and looking beautiful too. Needs to work on more solid jump landings. She could also use a bit more drama to that Spanish music. Anyway, I loved it and her.

Joe

nghtvsn

Rinkside
Just watched Asada's LP and wow. I know it was the same thing she did last year but I'm glad she was able to land that 3a at this event. Very nice work and her consistency is good too.

If you haven't watched Yukina's LP, take a look. Absolutely beautiful! She's so grown up now, and looking beautiful too. Needs to work on more solid jump landings. She could also use a bit more drama to that Spanish music. Anyway, I loved it and her.

Joe
Yes - she really does have an inborn grace, line, and flexibility that cannot be taught. Just lovely. I hope she can continue her comeback.

I can't believe these Japanese ladies!

christinaskater

Medalist
I love Yukina!!!! I hope she comes back with the full arsenal next year!

Its scarry how everyone needs to do a triple triple or a triple axel to really be on top! I mean, kudos to Mao for doing them, as well as to Yu-Na and Miki!

I am in love as well with Caroline Zhang! This 4 skaters will really make skating interesting for a while!

iloveaxel

Match Penalty

Joe

She should definitely consider to go pairs. With the depth of ladies singles, I doubt she'll have a bright future without hard jumps. However, if she goes to Russia, U.S. or Canada and find a right partner, she will have a very very successful and long career.

Saundy

On the Ice
Who on earth are Cathy and Chris Reed?
Those don't sound like Japanese names...not to be stereoytpical.

Their mother is Japanese, their father is American. They won the U.S. Novice ice dance title last year, representing the Skating Club of Morris (New Jersey).

Here is a recent article about them by Barry Mittan.

http://www.skatetoday.com/

lutzskate

On the Ice
Do you mean Japanese pairs..? Japan has none at this point, so obviously there was no pairs competition at Japanese Nationals.

There have been a few discussions about why no one tries their strenght in this discipline in spite of Japan having a lot of good skaters who won't be able to make the World team in singles. Lack of ice (there is not enough rinks in Japan, even some of the elite skaters were forced to train during public sessions, which would be impossible for pairs as they need more ice surface), lack of coaches, insufficient support from the JSF and usually too lithe build of Japanese boys were some of the reasons that were suggested.

Thank you. I did not realize that they didn't have any pairs, and I guess I never really thought about it before. I guess that's why Wakamatsu had to come to Canda to find a partner.