Jenny on Johnny | Golden Skate

Jenny on Johnny

lcd

Match Penalty
It's an interesting observation about the triple axel entry, and certainly one to open plentiful debate. If I had to find a reason to agree, it would be to say that the more linear entry invoked by Jeremy Abbott last season, DID make his 3A more consistent. Historically Johnny's was always so full and flowing, with great exit speed, so not sure what to say.

I absolutely agree with Kirk's analysis of Johnny's triple Axel technique. The "step up into the jump" method not only looks so much cooler (cf. Michelle Kwan's double Axel), but also it expresses confidence. When you swing around in a circle, it seems like you are trying desparately to squeeze out the rotations by pre-rotating as much as possible.

JMO.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I absolutely agree with Kirk's analysis of Johnny's triple Axel technique. The "step up into the jump" method not only looks so much cooler (cf. Michelle Kwan's double Axel), but also it expresses confidence. When you swing around in a circle, it seems like you are trying desparately to squeeze out the rotations by pre-rotating as much as possible.

JMO.

:thumbsup:
As always Mathman, you speak my mind for me!:laugh: I do agree with your post though. Looking at his 3A the last two seasons, I kinda feel like he takes a football approach to it, going for a hail mary and hoping it comes out clean. I agree with Jenny's opinion as well, I think stepping up into the jump would give him better control and he would be more secure in his landing.

Michelle Kwan's double axle:bow:

antmanb

Record Breaker
Has Johnny changed his set up for the 3A this season then? I haven't yet watched anything from Rostelcom yet and was just wondering what was different because for years Johnny's had the same axel set up that Yags used to do and which anyone who's ever come into contact with Mishin does, namely, setting the axel up on a circle (not a straightline path), RBO three turn (or LBO for Johnny), mohawk, RBO (LBO for Johnny) edge strongly checked to kill all rotation step to LFO (RFO for johnny) for take off.

Whil Johnny's always had more of a "step up" axel than not, i don't recall it being a really big step up like e.g. Elvis Stoko's 3A or Kwan's 2A, but's never been quite like Joubert's trailing leg 3A.

Ant

Medusa

Record Breaker
but's never been quite like Joubert's trailing leg 3A.
:rofl:

Joubert doesn't jump when he does a 3A - he just throws himself forward in the jump and tries to muscle out 3,5 revolutions. I was stunned last year that he managed to add a 3T at the end of a 3A. But then again, this year he does 3 Loop - 3T, and I always thought that the Loop was one of his weaker jumps.

I loved Weir's 3A, how can technique derail in the matter of a year, or 1,5 years? I think a year ago Joesitz already said that the 3A is not what it used to be, back then I didn't believe it.

merrybari

Final Flight
:rofl:

Joubert doesn't jump when he does a 3A - he just throws himself forward in the jump and tries to muscle out 3,5 revolutions. I was stunned last year that he managed to add a 3T at the end of a 3A. But then again, this year he does 3 Loop - 3T, and I always thought that the Loop was one of his weaker jumps.

I loved Weir's 3A, how can technique derail in the matter of a year, or 1,5 years? I think a year ago Joesitz already said that the 3A is not what it used to be, back then I didn't believe it.

Johnny's not alone. For some reason, at some point in their career, so many elite level skaters seem to lose their Axels. What's up with that?