Jumps with creative (uncommon) entrances and/or exits | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Jumps with creative (uncommon) entrances and/or exits

^ :clap: :clap: :clap: The whole program was great. The worst mistake Australia ever made was to abandon Waltzing Matilda and come up with a real national anthem. ;)

By the way, the angle in the replay at 5:38 makes the Russian split jump look totally amazing. :yes:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
^ :clap: :clap: :clap: The whole program was great. The worst mistake Australia ever made was to abandon Waltzing Matilda and come up with a real national anthem. ;)

By the way, the angle in the replay at 5:38 makes the Russian split jump look totally amazing. :yes:

Waltzing Matilda was never our national anthem.

And our national anthem is just fine. Waltzing Matilda is great as a nationalistic song and I like it, but it's no anthem.

I especially liked his green-and-gold onesie!

When they used to play Waltzing Matilda at the Olympics, it was always announced as the "National Folk Song."

No offense, but IMHO Advance Australia Fair is a lot like the national anthems of other countries, whereas Waltzing Matilda was kind of -- I don't know -- there is just something about it. :yes:

I remember back in the days of the Cold War I went to a political speech by the ambassador from Australia to the U.S. He ended with a rousing pledge of solidarity with the U.S., saying something like, "And wherever the United States goes to fight tyranny and oppression in the world...we'll go a-waltzing, Matilda, with you!"

I have forgotten a thousand political speeches, but for some reason that one stuck with me. :)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It just gets a bit wearing when you hear the same argument over and over again. Honestly I swear Australia has this debate every few months. I really like AAF. It makes me proud, it makes me leap to my feet. It sounds different to all the same-y European anthems. (Watching F1...Vettel wins again...and when the hell did the German anthem finish and the Austrian anthem start?)

Waltzing Matilda has a great tune and a great popularity but it is just that, a Folk Song. Not an anthem. And uh, no offense, but when was the last time you actually listened to the words? It wasn't a very nice song!

Meanwhile, however, I think I've watched Cameron's take on it about fifty times over the last few days...

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I apologize for being insensitive.

It's okay, I know you weren't really trying to rub me up the wrong way. I guess I'm just tired of the constant merry-go-round of Australians feeling like we shouldn't be proud of anything Australian or something. I seem to know a lot of them.

However I shall agree that Waltzing Maltilda suited Cameron perfectly and the program would not have been nearly so wonderful skated to AAF. ;)