Kimmie in commercials! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kimmie in commercials!

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
But AS "the Mathman" you should know better! *shame on you*;) First the forums change "eta" to mean edited to add, now all the engineers I knew are saying "WHAT"MKM doesn't mean Mathematical Knowledge Management???? It is the end of days." j/k acceptable, this is a skating forum after all.:agree:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
We don't need MKF lingo over here :scratch:
;)

I approve more of MKF lingo then that "evil" math chat that seems to come up from time to time.;) :laugh: ;)

Soon we will see "KIQ" and know what that means:agree:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I'm just curious -- what other skaters got endorsement deals before they had Olympic medals? IIRC, Sasha got a gig with the beef producers after SLC, and before winning anything, but she had made herself known by asking the Pres to talk to her mom -- other than that, most of the skaters that I have seen on commercials have an Oly medal.

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
Tara Lipinski, Michelle Kwan, and Nicole Bobek were in a Campbell's Soup commercial together before the '98 Olympics. Nancy Kerrigan was in a commercial with hockey players before her first Olympics in '92, I believe.

In the case of the above mentioned trio, all 3 had won National titles in previous years. Kimmie has won World and National titles.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Tara Lipinski, Michelle Kwan, and Nicole Bobek were in a Campbell's Soup commercial together before the '98 Olympics. Nancy Kerrigan was in a commercial with hockey players before her first Olympics in '92, I believe.

In the case of the above mentioned trio, all 3 had won National titles in previous years. Kimmie has won World and National titles.

Thanks for reminding me -- I had forgotten the soup commercial. Wasn't the soup commercial hyping the three as the Oly team, rather than as champion skaters (IIRC, both MK and Tara had World and Nat titles going into Nagano)?

Last edited:
Attyfan made a good point. In the past, since the days of Peggy Fleming and Dorothy Hamill, commericial use of figure skating was strictly tied to the Olympics. Kimmie's endorsements may be a step forward in that regard.

Sponsors want endorsers that exhibit qualities that they want people to associate with their product. Figure skating is glamorous (Sasha) and wholesome (Kimmie). :clap:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
and wholesome (Kimmie). :clap:
I thought Milk, and next to the Got Milk....

OK, I am picturing one of the California Cow commercials - the ones with the happy cows - and Kimmie at the rink showing them how to ice skate. Can you imagine a cow in a layback?:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Kimmie saying "thats great Bessy, now raise your free hoof, lets see you get into that Bielmann":rofl: :rofl: :rofl:" Now let's work on the 3a."

OK, I am picturing one of the California Cow commercials - the ones with the happy cows - and Kimmie at the rink showing them how to ice skate.
Denice Biellmann has an ad just like that! It's a short video where a cow comes out and does a spin with Denise. (I don't remember if the cow got her leg completely up into the classic Biellmann position, so maybe it was only a level three.)

I couldn't find it on the Internet just now ("Denise Biellmann skating with a cow" came up empty on Youtube!). Maybe someone can find this clip and post it. :cool:

millie

Medalist
I just watched Kimmie's Subway commerical. Man does she need a new hair stylist or ever a bottle of shampoo. You would think that she would have shampooed her hair before the making of the ad (her hair looked so greasy and unkempt). People were complaining about Mira's appearance on the ice, what about Kimmie's appearance of the ice!:)

dizzydi7

On the Ice
I caught Kimmie's Subway commercial on tv last night. I was surprised that no effort was made to make her look better. Her commercial was very natural but I don't think it has anything to do with acting ability. I think that is just Kimmie.

As far as sprucing her up as some people have suggested..... I just wonder if this plain, school girl is just who Kimmie is and perhaps we should accept her as she is instead of wanting to change her. She seems to like the wholesome persona. Not every girl is glamorous or cares to be viewed as "a hottie". Part of me wants to see Kimmie with makeup and fit the "princess" image of a National and World champion but the other part says "let her be who she is". When you think about it....how refreshing that she hasn't let all this hype change her. Yet!

She is only 17 years old.

Dizzy

Lucy25

Final Flight
I guess the commercial that is currently airing is her one from last year, after she won Worlds. It was only a local commercial. She has filmed a nation-wide one that should be out soon.