Knierim and Frazier hit with lawsuit for use of song | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Knierim and Frazier hit with lawsuit for use of song

Rashela

On the Ice
I remember that few years ago, there was a little bit different case but some Canadian or US guy was using Japanese music and the author didn't like so the skater had to get a new program.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I think they should be happy with the publicity. I had never heard of them before this.
The issue isn’t the status of the performer. It’s that permission MUST be asked & obtained for use of copyrighted material. (Many artists will grant it without charging a fee, but to just use the music without permission is the same as stealing it.) Since K/F have been using this music all season, either the correct protocols were followed previously (but not for the Olympics) or the musicians just became aware of their song’s use during the Olympics. Or their “people” weren’t aware that NBC had obtained the rights.

I don’t want to sound like a nag on this issue, but for 40+ years, published articles I’ve written (mostly on pop music but also on skating) have been shared on the internet without permission or payment. I finally got a small settlement for past offenses via a class-action lawsuit, but still ...

sjchilly

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I thought BMI and/or ASCAP collected royalty fees for performances from the TV network and the venues. I don't know if authors need to opt in or can opt out of these fee collecting services. The last law suit by this group involved 6 seconds of one of their songs that was used in a TV show.

Weathergal

Medalist
This article explains copyright and figure skating:

Knierim and Frazier are not responsible for the clearances, and therefore aren't "dumb".

The brothers and their dad are trying to shake down someone, anyone for some extra cash. I hope NBC stands firm rather than pay them off.
Thank for the link - very helpful! I couldn't remember whose responsibility it was, but I thought there was some kind of permission and/or fee.

With all this mind, why is the band's dad suing the skaters then? Just suing everyone he can to see who will pay?

reneerose

Final Flight
I'm too tired to remember copyright law.

But usually the venue obtains a license that covers all music played at the venue. I cannot imagine that dd not happen here.

Of note:
The Heathens group (that I have never heard of) constitutes two brothers. with the last name of Marderosian. They are represented by their father, an attorney named Mick Marderosian. This is not the first copyright lawsuit they have filed.

Easy to file lawsuits when dad will do it:sneaky:
I read that 2 of the previous lawsuits, 1 against Viacom and the other I forget the name of the company... were dismissed by the judge in each case. I think this is a matter of money really on the plaintiff's side. The Dad appears to be a professional ambulance chaser. NBC handles blanket copyright broadcast permissions for music that's broadcast during the Olympics so it isn't Knierim and Frazier's fault at all. Plus the musicians recorded a cover and they are not even the original artists of the song. I say frivolous/money seeking/publicity grabbing intentions on The Heathens! The judge will dismiss this case, I am 99% sure about that.

Charlotte 71

On the Ice
Thank for the link - very helpful! I couldn't remember whose responsibility it was, but I thought there was some kind of permission and/or fee.

With all this mind, why is the band's dad suing the skaters then? Just suing everyone he can to see who will pay?
Obviously they are misinformed - someone must have told them there is a lot of money in skating.

Good riddance if Alexa and Brandon change their music asap - I had to mute it because I thought I felt my ears starting to bleed.

Weathergal

Medalist
Obviously they are misinformed - someone must have told them there is a lot of money in skating.

Good riddance if Alexa and Brandon change their music asap - I had to mute it because I thought I felt my ears starting to bleed.
Yeah, there are some covers that I really like - this one, not so much. Perhaps they can use a different cover or maybe even the original for their FS at Worlds.

Arigato

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Plus the musicians recorded a cover and they are not even the original artists of the song.

There is no plus. Whitney Houston's cover of I Will Always Love You — one of the best-selling songs of all time — was originally done by Dolly Parton. Musicians make covers all the time and have full legal rights to sue, should someone use it without permission.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Can we skip the comments about " anyways, this cover sucks or the musicians suck" I find it quite unfair to the artists who deserve respect for their work. The skaters certainly saw some value in it. Do I agree that this lawsuit is an attempt for publicity ... yes. But that still doesn't make comments about the music itself fair.

There is no plus. Whitney Houston's cover of I Will Always Love You — one of the best-selling songs of all time — was originally done by Dolly Parton. Musicians make covers all the time and have full legal rights to sue, should someone use it without permission.
Dolly Parton received more than ten million dollars in royalties from Whitney Houston's recording of her song. Parton put the money into a community center complex in a Black neighhood in Nashville and called it "the House that Whitney built."

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Dolly was the songwriter, so she gets royalties not just from her own performance & Whitney’s cover, but from every other performance/recording of the song.

In the case of “House of the Rising Sun,” it’s an old folk song without known authors, so its public-domain status makes it not subject to songwriting copyright. But each cover version could have a copyright for the arranger and/or performer.

Last edited:

reneerose

Final Flight
True... but this pair of musicians appear to have a history of dismissed cases...I guess all of the facts will come out on this case when the judge reviews it...I guess it's just these Heathens are obviously not on the level of Dolly Parton. Plus this same attorney filed copyright lawsuits against Viacom, Fox Sports, and Metropole Media. Not sure how successful they are at winning if there was something that technically covered the broadcast rights if it's a big network. I mean do smaller artists who do covers of the original songs, do blanket copyright fees paid by NBC get shared with the original artist, in the Whitney Houston case, Dolly got royalties. So do the Animals get royalties if it really is a public domain song?

Last edited: