Kwan splits with Williams... | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kwan splits with Williams...

Arutunian, seems like an Armenian to me.

Sasha Abt, like Michelle is a lyrical skater. Abt was incredibly good in that Euros where he was denied gold because of Alexi's dominance at the time. (This is not a bash of Yags. I like him.)

Sasha Cohen is a bravura skater, and the music she is presently skating to suits her to a T! Michelle and Sasha are like oranges and grapefruit. Neither is better at presentation. It's just for you to pick your choice (as will as the judges).

If Arutunian can deliver the 3x3s with the lyrical flow he did for Abt, then MK is in good hands. A lyrical skater does not sell the 3x3s to the judge; they must be integrated into the flow of the routine.

Keeping Scott is important too, he made MK's jumps solid and the spins improved tremendously.

I'm finally beginning to like her spunk and I strongly suspect that 2006 is on the agenda. GO FOR IT KWAN.

Joe

mzheng

Record Breaker
lavender said:
What 4 different coaching situations? Are you including the choreographers?

I think she includes the coachless year at that 2002 Olympic.

swannanoa54

On the Ice
Well, I don't think Sasha is a bravura skater. I like her SP, but her LP bores me except for her spins which I have always loved.

Moyesii, Michelle fired Frank in 2001, went to the 02 Olys coachless (not going to count her father because he did NOT coach her). She and Scott become skater and coach before the 2002-2003 season began.

So I must have been sleeping during the 4 coaching situations in 3 years. To me a choreographer is NOT a coach in the true sense of the word. But gee, that's just me.

:laugh:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I think the count of coaching situations is:

1. Coached by Carroll
2. Coached by no one
3. Coached by Williams
4. Coached by Arutunian

Hi Realistic and Lavender. I think MZheng and Hockeyfan are right in saying that Moseyii is counting "no coach" as a "coaching situation."

If each change is a step up, I guess we have to say that nobody is better than Frank Carroll, but Scott Wiliams is better than nobody.;)

Mathman

Last edited:

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Michelle's new coach: Arutunian

I think this a good decision. I would love to see Michelle get her 3toe/3toe back.

Last year, it seemed she focused on recovering from Olympic burn-out, rebuilding her core and basics. With that accomplished, she is now trying to put more technical difficulty into her skating.

I'm impressed she said she feels that she needs more intense training. After 8 years on top, she still tries to push herself. Good for her.

As a side note, the rumor-mongers will say that this adds fuel to the fire that she really IS involved with Scott Williams.

Is there really an amorous connection between Michelle and Scott? I really liked him being her tech coach. I saw her jumps as being so solid when he acted as coach - no problems in take off, air posture; landings. Her spins, too suddenly came to life. That DC Worlds was a work of art and I just gave Scott all the credit.

But maybe he can't get her that extra half turn in the air for the triple triple. Let's hope Mr. Arturian gives her that boost.

Joe

mzheng

Record Breaker
Michelle has been take lessons from Rafael whenever she feel needed in past. Not just Olympic season. Even Sasha had bee to him for jump lessons when she was at west coast.

He is a very good technique coach. Very emphasizing on good stroking technique and edge quality. Actually Frank and Rafael have good term too.

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Well, this should be interesting to see at Nats. I am encouraged by this change for Michelle though. This guy sounds like he will be good for her technical skils. Plus, she keeps pushing herself, or letting herself get pushed by a good coach, and yet she is doing things on her own terms. She has the artistry all ready so getting the technical difficulty up is a step in the right direction for her if she plans to keep competing. And if Turino is really on MKs agenda, then getting a stockpile of Tums and Kleenex just went onto mine!!!! LOL :laugh:

At any rate, I wish her all the best and I can't wait to see her at Nats next month. Go Michelle!!!! *cheers* :D

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I find this to be wonderful news. Not just the fact that Kwan is working with a different coach, but that she is focusing on training 3/3s and more difficult elements. Michelle is certainly no fool and has to see that she faces a challenge that she's not accustomed to: a skater with strong artistic strengths and increasingly consistent triple jumps (Sasha). Certainly, it can be argued that some of her past rivals had artistic strengths (Lipinski, Slutskaya, Hughes), but I believe it is Cohen that comes the closes to challenging Kwan in that department. I'm not saying that Kwan made this decision directly to counter Sasha, but I believe she's being very savy this time around. If she does intend on competing until the Olympics, she'll need at least a 3t/3t (or something more difficult) in her arsenal somewhere to set her even farther apart. Artisticly, I've always felt that it just depends on her mind set and motivation. She's proven her artistic strength countless times. I believe Williams helped her relax a bit more and that showed on the ice...but I wouldn't give him all of the credit for Michelle's wonderful 02-03 season. She was the one on the ice, handling the pressure and feeling the music the way she did in 98. Anyway, this seems to indicate that she plans to stick around for a while yet...I would love to see a real Kwan/Cohen rivalry develop in the next 2 years. I believe it has the potential to be one of the most exciting rivalries in recent decades.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
BronzeisGolden said:
I would love to see a real Kwan/Cohen rivalry develop in the next 2 years. I believe it has the potential to be one of the most exciting rivalries in recent decades.
Yes, usually in the rivalry, one skater is the "artist" and the other the "athlete." But with Michelle and Sasha there is no clear cut distinction. After watching 1996 Worlds, I though Kwan and Chen Lu could have been a similarly great rivalry. But then Lulu bottomed out in '97. :cry:

maxell1313

Rinkside
BronzeisGolden said:
Michelle is certainly no fool and has to see that she faces a challenge that she's not accustomed to: a skater with strong artistic strengths and increasingly consistent triple jumps (Sasha). Certainly, it can be argued that some of her past rivals had artistic strengths (Lipinski, Slutskaya, Hughes), but I believe it is Cohen that comes the closes to challenging Kwan in that department.

I do agree that Cohen is MK's biggest US rival, but MK also has some extremely talented skaters from Japan and Finland hot on her heels as well. If not this year, I see Yukina Ota and Susanna Poykio on the Worlds podium in the next few years and also challenging for the Oly gold in 06. Not to mention never counting out Slutskaya, Suguri, Arakawa, Sokolova, and even Liashenko.

But all that being said, I'm absolutely thrilled to hear this about Michelle. This girl knows she's still got plenty to give in the skating world. She's only got one more title to win in Worlds to break the record, 4 more Nationals, and one Oly medal. I think she knows she's so close to those goals and really wants them.

You go, Michelle!!!

Tove

On the Ice
oh dear....my favourite coach!!!!! Maybe I will find Michelle more interesting now, as she never appealed to me in the past (just personal opinion)

Rafael is an excellent coach, he coached Sasha (Abt) for ten years, and they made all this brilliant programs!! :love:
really excited now to see this new partnertship.....

Tove

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
he may be a good technical coach but he didn't make sasha abt a more consistant jumper.
Curious, I was thinking the same thing. I guess I really wonder why Michelle feels she needs to improve her jumps..........for what? What was wrong with her jumps to begin with?

Dee

I don't think there was any problem with her jumps either. However, she had that hip problem (presume it is no longer a problem) and stopped practicing her 3x3s. Her six triple jumps are absolutely solid; only an accidental flub would give her cause to fail any of those triples. I think Williams did a good job on that.

Maybe he is just not getting her to 3x3, and she decided to look elsewhere. Michelle is never an open book.

Joe

curious

Final Flight
lavender said:
[And one thing that comes to mind is that MK may have been working with Arutunian long before this announcement was made or released. I don't think it was the same type of decision as the one she made in 2001.]

Yes she has. There were talks of it on MKF. Michelle's been working with a technical coach for at least a month or so (that I know of). There was talks of this along with her boot issue. I assume that it was Arutunian all along. I thought why is she with Scott if she has a technical coach.

[And I don't agree that this year it is all about artistic. MK already has artistic over all the skaters. No one has ever said she should "up her artistic side". You do get more points for completing 3/3s under COP so why not push herself to get the points? Maybe even change her spins? I'm all for this change if it's going to keep her around longer. ]

I don' think Michelle has it artistically over Sasha by much this season. At least I don't think the judges see it that way. Michelle needs to add variation to her in-betweens and spins. If she does this then I think she will gain back a bigger edge over all her competitors.

It will come down to the jumps and michell knows it, that's why she is getting a technical coach. If she can perform those triple combos consistantly she will put alot of pressure on Sasha. Zhisuka Arakawa is a contender too.

swannanoa54

On the Ice
Something just struck me. (No smart remarks people:laugh: )

Anyhoo-I know this article says she "switched" coaches, but who's to say that Scott isn't still around, assisting with some of the other things?

Well, that was just a thought. Fleeting thought. It's gone now.:laugh: