Kwan splits with Williams... | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Kwan splits with Williams...

:laugh: , Realistic. You are a breath of fresh air on this forum.

But I agree with your idea. Michelle :love: doesn't really need "a coach" in the sense that younger skaters do, who plan out and control their every skating move. She can get ideas and expertise from many different people at the same time. Same with choreography. Morosov gave her some footwork sequences (he said he spent about an hour on it), but it seems like her programs now are put together by a committee, with Michelle :love: herself as chairman of the board.

Mathman

nymkfan51

Medalist
I totally agree with you realistic. I don't think Scott is out of the picture. I would bet he will still be involved in some capacity with her coaching ... maybe this new guy will be specifically working on the jump combos with her.
I just think this is great news for Michelle fans. I've been hoping to see this competitive drive in her again. Certainly does bode well for her competing in 2006.

moyesii

Rinkside
This girl knows she's still got plenty to give in the skating world. She's only got one more title to win in Worlds to break the record, 4 more Nationals, and one Oly medal. I think she knows she's so close to those goals and really wants them.
Love what you said, maxell! What an exciting thing for skating fans to get to see this legend developing.

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
Rumor that MK is dating Scott and now this ... mabye they are related. Scott still around, but Arturian listed as her official coach so as not to violate any rules.

Also agree with Joe, I believe, who took this coaching as a sign that 2006 is her target. Talk about a fairy tale if 3rd time was a charm.

Thartell - What is the violation of rule between Michelle and Scott being romantic? Is there a rule that the competitor may not connect with a coach romantically?:confused:

You remember Lermantov lost interest in Victoria Page when she got romanticlly involved with the conductor? :rolleye:

Vise d'arte; Vise d'amore, so says Tosca. :eek:

Joe

Antilles

Medalist
Question: what record will Michelle break with one more World title? Will it be the most of any US lady?

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Breaking the record

Antilles said:
Question: what record will Michelle break with one more World title? Will it be the most of any US lady?
She would break the record for most WCs won by a USA skater period. The current record is a tie between Dick Button (1948-52), Carol Heiss (1956-60) and Michelle all of whom have five.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Scott Williams

For some reason, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I still think Scott Williams is married to Charlene Wong Williams, Amber Corwin's coach...did they divorce recently?

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I think this is marvelous...........why can't she have both coaches on her team? One for the jumps, and one for moral support? I always thought that she hired Scott on because he was so easy going and she got tired of people commenting about the fact that she "didn't" have a coach............

I do believe that Scott and Charlene have been divorced for awhile now..................42

Last edited:

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
Joesitz said:
What is the violation of rule between Michelle and Scott being romantic

Joe, in the Kwan splits with Ference thread, people were writing that according to the USFSA it was a no-no for coaches and skaters to have any relationship aside from that of coach and skater.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Joe, in the Kwan splits with Ference thread, people were writing that according to the USFSA it was a no-no for coaches and skaters to have any relationship aside from that of coach and skater.
Very odd. So many marriages started with coach/student relationship. Tamara and Igor Moskvins come to mind. Or, if Navka & Kostomarov were skating for the US, would she have to difforce Zhulin? Now that I think about it, isn't Weiss's wife his choreographer? And Dean used to be married to Isabelle Duchenay when he coached her... Also, what is "any relationship aside from that of coach and skater"? What about parent/ child relationships? A lot of coaches train their kids! Anyway, just strange IMO.

Antilles

Medalist
Wong and Williams have indeed been divorced for a while. I remember it being mentioned in a Blades on Ice article a couple years back.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Good thing Katherine Healey skated only as a pro because she is married to her father... oops! I mean her coach.:love:

Hi Dave. Glad to see you over here on Golden Skate. Hope you like it here and stick around. (Try not to provoke people too much, LOL.)

I hope that's just an unkind rumor about Scott Williams.

Mathman

As I said on p6 of the International Figure Skating Challenge thread, I think Michelle's change to Arutunian is fantastic! You can read the gushing, long-winded version on that thread:)
Rgirl

ladybug

On the Ice
When watching Sasha's interview she mentioned that she and TT had received some feed back from the judges and they adjusted her program and added more difficulty.

I said to Mr. Ladybug, do you think the judges will give Scott Williams feed back on Michelle's program? I don't think he has earned the respect of the judges at this point. This is not a bash against Scott.

As Rgirl mentioned in her other post, Scott just seemed to go along with whatever Michelle said and wanted. However, he seemed to be very good for her mental state. Was able to keep things light and calm. Too bad she can't have two coaches. One for training and one for keeping things light.

I don't expect to see much from MK this year but I think next year we will see a new Michelle. Looks like she knows what her goals are for the future and now she is going to make them happen.

Ladybug