Kwan splits with Williams... | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Kwan splits with Williams...

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
Where does Arturian coach? I remember Abt used to train in Lake Arrowhead. Was that when he was with Arturian? Just curious.

lavender

Record Breaker
Abt's best season imo was 02 right?. Wasn't that his last season with Arturian? He left Arturian after that and started up with Zhulin and now it seems that he's lost some of his jumps

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
ladybug said:
When watching Sasha's interview she mentioned that she and TT had received some feed back from the judges and they adjusted her program and added more difficulty.

I said to Mr. Ladybug, do you think the judges will give Scott Williams feed back on Michelle's program? I don't think he has earned the respect of the judges at this point. This is not a bash against Scott.
I don't think this has anything with the coach's reputation. I believe it is a pretty standard process under the CoP system. The skaters want to know what it would take to make their elements get more points -- such as Sasha adding a change of edge to her spiral, or Shen & Zhao adding a death spiral and a lift (?) to their program to get more points in "choreography".

Ladybug- I'm not sure what you mean by a coach 'gaining the respect' of judges. If a judge doesn't want to discuss a skater's perceived faults, I think the judge has that right. I'm not impressed with the judge but that's another matter.

Also TT have been around a long time. I am sure she talks to the judges all the time and calls them by their first names. That's her business.

Joe

windspirit

On the Ice
Ptichka said:
I don't think this has anything with the coach's reputation. I believe it is a pretty standard process under the CoP system.
As well as it was before, I think. And from what I've heard, they don't discuss only skating, but also skaters' appearance, etc. Some people seem to believe that Peggy's surgical enhancement had something to do with the feedback she got from the judges. Now, that would be crazy. :eek:

Tharrtell, I believe that Arutunian (still) coaches in Lake Arrowhead, CA:
http://www.icecastle.us/coaches/coaches.html

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
windspirit said:
...but also skaters' appearance, etc. Some people seem to believe that Peggy's surgical enhancement had something to do with the feedback she got from the judges...

I believe I remember talk about Linda F. and a nose job that had something to do with the judges. I don't know if she did it or it was recommended, but seems like they at least suggested it. I think, anyway...

Thanks for the Ice Castle link.

ladybug

On the Ice
Frank C. was a very respected coach who knew all the judges. They gave him feed back of Michelle's programs under the 6.0 system.

TT is also a very respected coach who knows all the judges. They give her feedback of Sasha's programs.

My question was would they give Scott the same honest feedback they would give Frank or TT. I felt this could put Michelle at a disadvantage.

Could this be one of many factors that Michelle considered when making her coach change. Having a top notch coach certainly can't hurt. I for one think she made a smart move for many reasons.

Ladybug